Who's left to play EOTR?

SweepingTheNation

13 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Idly wondering - with the suggestion that a few of EOTR's long term targets have been crossed off the list for this year, who is there that could reasonably headline or play very high up the bill that hasn't yet visited at all? (Bonus points if they've never played Green Man either)

Thinking of possible headliners who have never played is a hard one. I know that Simon is a big Jonathon Richman fan so maybe he could headline the Garden one year. 

Have The National ever played? Not sure if they're likely to be booked but they'd fit well. Same goes for Portishead. 

Pavement would be good. In an alternate universe David Berman is still alive and booked to headline EOTR with Purple Mountains.

Edited by Guy Incognito
  • Upvote 1

Bonnie "Prince" Billy, he seems to be the obvious candidate. There are a few that are simply out of reach, Tom Waits immediately springs to mind, I'd throw The National and Nick Cave into that pot too.

Pavement are a good shout, but they seem to be going where the money is.

• Like 1

To throw in a couple of decent size names, Spoon's last UK outdoor gig was All Points East 2018, before that Latitude 2010 (which I was at but have no memory of seeing them), and Sleater-Kinney haven't played one since they reformed.

I wonder if anyone has the dream booking list that was on the EOTR Myspace page in the festival's first year? I'm sure someone found and posted it on here years ago but the search isn't bringing anything up.

• Upvote 1

On the basis that Rose City Band have just announced a UK tour with dates starting on Sept 2nd, I would hope that the tour might actually be starting on Sept 1st at Larmer Tree Gardens.  Difficult to think of a better addition that they could make.  But just in case, to avoid disappointment, I've got my ticket for the Moth Club date.

5 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

To throw in a couple of decent size names, Spoon's last UK outdoor gig was All Points East 2018, before that Latitude 2010 (which I was at but have no memory of seeing them), and Sleater-Kinney haven't played one since they reformed.

I wonder if anyone has the dream booking list that was on the EOTR Myspace page in the festival's first year? I'm sure someone found and posted it on here years ago but the search isn't bringing anything up.

Use the wayback machine on their myspace page if you have the link to it - i can't seem to find it from a very very brief google

Self Esteem and Wet Leg were the two acts I thought would be nailed on for this year, and thus far we've got neither (though both have played before in other guises). Surely going to turn up some day.

Again not headliners, but Julian Cope and Kristin Hersh are a couple that spring to mind who never seem to have played, and probably should sometime.

Rose City Band announced to play Manchester Psych Festival on 3 Sept, so might hopefully be announced for us on the same weekend. Except that 1 Sept would be their only free date.

Edited by paulwa

On 3/15/2022 at 12:19 PM, Yoss said:

Self Esteem and Wet Leg were the two acts I thought would be nailed on for this year, and thus far we've got neither (though both have played before in other guises). Surely going to turn up some day.

Again not headliners, but Julian Cope and Kristin Hersh are a couple that spring to mind who never seem to have played, and probably should sometime.

I suggest Kristin Hersh every year for EOTR and Green Man. Not sure what she's done to offend them as I'm sure the core crowd of both festivals like her. 

45 minutes ago, benali said:

I suggest Kristin Hersh every year for EOTR and Green Man. Not sure what she's done to offend them as I'm sure the core crowd of both festivals like her. 

I can't say I've been particularly aware of her doing festivals at all, so maybe that's her own choice.

Saw Kristen Hersh play Glastonbury ‘New Tent’ in 1998 and she was amazing. She had the crowd transfixed

Oh I think Cowboy Junkies on the Garden Stage would be a dream come true. Not too big at all - they just don’t come to Europe very often! But boy if they did that would be stunning.

Also wonder if Rufus Wainwright would be someone to excel at EOTR? 

On 3/16/2022 at 8:32 PM, jamesrfisher said:

would also love to see The Cowboy Junkies on the Garden Stage. Not sure of their standing these days, if they would be too big

Cowboy Junkies on the Garden would be fantastic, yeah, that's a great shout, and definitely not too big. I've seen them twice, once in 1992, at the Royal Albert Hall and 25 years later at the Bridge theatre, about 4 or 5 years ago. Amazing both times. To see/hear 'Cheap is How I feel' and 'Sun comes up, it's Tuesday morning', what a fucking thrill that was. The thought of those on the Garden Stage, proper goosebumps stuff.

On 3/27/2022 at 7:13 PM, Mardy said:

Cowboy Junkies on the Garden would be fantastic, yeah, that's a great shout, and definitely not too big. I've seen them twice, once in 1992, at the Royal Albert Hall and 25 years later at the Bridge theatre, about 4 or 5 years ago. Amazing both times. To see/hear 'Cheap is How I feel' and 'Sun comes up, it's Tuesday morning', what a fucking thrill that was. The thought of those on the Garden Stage, proper goosebumps stuff.

The gig at tHe Bridge Theatre was rather special. only managed to see the

m three times myself and one of those was just Margo and Michael (i say just, it was rather magical). Combination of them not coming over here much and at one stage i seemed to be on holiday whenever they did.

I do think they would be very special on the Garden Stage, proper goosebumps stuff as you say.