Sneaking in story

waynewdk

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

No left luggage facilities at Castle Cary for a start… 😂

Not sure if this was the case in 2017, but this site indicates that Castle Cary does have a left luggage facility - click on the link, go to 'Facilities' and look at the second from the bottom which has a tick next to 'Left Luggage'.

https://abcrailwayguide.uk/clc-castle-cary-railway-station/facilities#.YlrbZOjMJPY

7 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I got talking this evening to a friend of a friend and the topic of Glastonbury came up. I was regaled with the following story: 

Back in 2017 I had just ...

You really captured every last creative flourish in your friend-of-a-friend's story there.  Did you use a Dictaphone and type it up afterwards or are you more a of a shorthand guy?  Either way, I'm impressed - you managed to get the whole saga typed up this morning, when you're not due to be told it until this evening.  Efficient.

44 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Not sure if this was the case in 2017, but this site indicates that Castle Cary does have a left luggage facility - click on the link, go to 'Facilities' and look at the second from the bottom which has a tick next to 'Left Luggage'.

https://abcrailwayguide.uk/clc-castle-cary-railway-station/facilities#.YlrbZOjMJPY

Pretty sure that site is wrong - there isn't Left Luggage facilities at the moment according to the Train Companies that serve the station (like SWR), and I'm confident that those facilities haven't existed at any point in the recent past.

40 minutes ago, incident said:

Pretty sure that site is wrong - there isn't Left Luggage facilities at the moment according to the Train Companies that serve the station (like SWR), and I'm confident that those facilities haven't existed at any point in the recent past.

Indeed the site that abc links to says it doesn't have left luggage. 

https://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/stations/generalservices/CLC

39 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Indeed the site that abc links to says it doesn't have left luggage. 

https://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/stations/generalservices/CLC

1 hour ago, incident said:

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Not my story so not sure on the details, but maybe it’s something they offer temporarily during the festival? Might even have just been that he asked staff and they agreed to hold his bag for a few days. 

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

You really captured every last creative flourish in your friend-of-a-friend's story there.  Did you use a Dictaphone and type it up afterwards or are you more a of a shorthand guy?  Either way, I'm impressed - you managed to get the whole saga typed up this morning, when you're not due to be told it until this evening.  Efficient.

As it happens I have 120wpm shorthand, but he actually typed it up himself. I started the post after speaking to him on Thursday then he emailed me it late last night. I told him people on here would love to read it so he said he’d type it up. 

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Having taken the train to glasto in 2019, the bit that makes me doubt the story is "All the other passengers quickly left the platform and headed towards the shuttle bus". Took us bloody ages to get out!

Relatively speaking I guess 😂 

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Do you believe it? 🤣

Not sure. They certainly told it convincingly. I think things can come across very differently when written down to when you’re actually told a story.
Do you believe it? 

I mean, I suppose it doesn’t matter whether it’s real or not for someone to enjoy hearing it? 

Edited by blutarsky

6 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Not sure. They certainly told it convincingly. I think things can come across very differently when written down to when you’re actually told a story.
Do you believe it? 

Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin. Funnily enough I thought it made the last one sound more plausible though 😊

52 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Good tale! I think what struck me was how close in style to the Twix story it is. So much so that if you’d said it had been written by the Twix person I’d immediately believe it. 

I was wary that it had too much twix 🍫

2 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

That's Birmingham City Uni - BCU. UoB has been around since 1900. They'd be ever so sniffy if they saw this 😄

Totally correct irnkrtn. I stand mistaken. Not mistaken through lack of knowledge , but more to do with shooting from the hip on here, while I had a million other things on my mind, as well as other 'full on' manual type work to achieve / get out of the way. Only for me personally, but the 'Covid-19' issue has been a walk in the fucking park compared to the rest of my life during that time. Today, and I mean today, I got my life back. Not only I got my life back, but my wife did too. So, my mind has also been a little 'funky' today - on a number of fronts.

Oh and you are also 'dead' right about the attitude that UoB would have about being mistaken for BCU. I seem to have a story for everything, but I am directly familiar with both institutions - although the later was called Birmingham polytechnic when I attended on an educational basis. Mind you i received a fair bit of an education at the University of Birmingham too. My mate was studying medicine there when we were 18 onwards. A whole lot of us used to go to the Student Union bar there and get plastered drunk, and on a fair few occasions 'stoned' too. 

Oh, and in later life I even had a job interview to become an employee at the UoB, in their Estates Department. I flunked the interview in what i like to consider was some style. What a close shave that was. Getting that job would have been a disastrous move. I mean it could have resulted in a completely different life, and that wouldn't have done at all.

@irnkrtn - if you are off to Glastonbury this year, have a belter. 🙂

4 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Do you believe it? 

I mean, I suppose it doesn’t matter whether it’s real or not for someone to enjoy hearing it? 

Give us a screenshot of the time stamped Penards usual spot text conversation and I think you'll have a few more of us on your side! I couldn't care less though - undoubtedly a fun read regardless.

2 hours ago, whitehorses said:

Good tale! I think what struck me was how close in style to the Twix story it is. So much so that if you’d said it had been written by the Twix person I’d immediately believe it. 

Impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery 

Whether true or not, I enjoyed reading these tales. Thanks for posting. Heading back to the UK this year for a holiday and this will be my first Glastonbury since 2017. Reading these stories it's the anticipation and excitement of knowing what goes on behind the fence that's getting me excited and keeping me reading.

Also it is reminding me of my teenage years and early 20's. Bestival 2011 was the first festival I blagged my way in to although the blag was organised by my friends, and although risky was a lot simpler than scampering through woods and climbing fences. One of the boys got hold of an email address from someone at the festival. He created a new email address pretending to be someone called Simon (I think from memory) from The Cure's record label. He emailed and basically said he wanted to send a few interns down to the festival for whatever reason. We arrived there, stepped up to the ticket office, said who we were and were given festival wristbands with camping in separate camping area. No questions asked. Ended up camping next to Maya Jane Coles and a couple of her mates.

One or two of the boys tried this again the following year and we're caught out. They got a bit of a grilling but were let go and ended up buying spare tickets to join the rest of us who had paid for 2012.

We also did similar for the first Wilderness festival. I think about 10 of us got in without paying a penny.

Edited by Ollie7490