2023 legend slot

ProperTea

One of the main definitions of the legend slot is you couldn't really imagine the act playing anywhere else on the line up. The fact that Chic and Pulp both have and could easily show up elsewhere rules them out.

Whereas acts like Cher, the Spice Girls, Duran Duran, Manilow, etc have no real other home on the line up.

13 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Is it "a thing" that people go to the Legends slot regardless?

I think so, at least since it was formally crowned as the "legends" slot - no-one was there for Ray Davies because of the football and there was no "should they move the legend slot discussion".

I do think if Diana Ross had been playing at 1pm on Saturday she'd have got half the crowd she did.

I thought Ray Davies was great in 2010. Absolutely 100% right decision to sack off the football and watch Slash and then Ray (and then check the score and see England got done 4-1, which was really very amusing). It was just after Pete Quaife had died, so it was all quite emotional. 

Was Johnny Cash the first legend spot in 1995? That was the first televised glasto on ch4, wasnt it? I recall Tom Jones around that sort of time too - he's done it another time since as well, i'm sure. . . 

11 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I thought Ray Davies was great in 2010. Absolutely 100% right decision to sack off the football and watch Slash and then Ray (and then check the score and see England got done 4-1, which was really very amusing). It was just after Pete Quaife had died, so it was all quite emotional. 

Was Johnny Cash the first legend spot in 1995? That was the first televised glasto on ch4, wasnt it? I recall Tom Jones around that sort of time too - he's done it another time since as well, i'm sure. . . 

Ray Davies is still my favourite ever legend slot. He was great. It was emotional and the football meant that those who were there really wanted to be. 

21 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Ray Davies is still my favourite ever legend slot. He was great. It was emotional and the football meant that those who were there really wanted to be. 

I went because I don't like football 😆

24 minutes ago, stuie said:

I went because I don't like football 😆

I went because I don’t like football and I do like Ray Davies 🙂

It was emotional, one of the other members of the Kinks had died a few days before and you could hear the emotion in his voice, watch the first 30 seconds of this clip 

Just now, Fake Encore said:

Tina Turner. You heard it here 1st.

I would love nothing more. 

But she isn't up to it and won't be doing it. 

She hasn't performed in over a decade. 

33 minutes ago, sfroml said:

Has Grace Jones performed at Glastonbury before?

I've heard she's an extraordinary live act....

25 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Someone confirmed recently shes been asked to play but turned it down due to not offering enough ££

Alan Carr asked her if she’d play glasto and she said they can’t afford her! 

On 8/2/2022 at 7:27 AM, nikkic said:

Dolly changed things, that’s why I’m talking about 2014 and onwards.

The slot has turned into something completely different since then. It was never a “4th headliner”, now it’s arguably the biggest slot of the weekend. 

With the exception of ELO who were an abomination, every other act in the time frame has been a camp pop singalong.

Unless they switch up policy it’ll be The Spice Girls or Robbie Williams before it’s Pulp. 

You used Tom Jones in your arguments, who was way before Dolly. Can't have it both ways. 

Also ELO weren't an abomination. Maybe in your opinion, but not the reviews. Also, it was shitting it down for most of the set, so crowd was always going to be smaller. 

Edited by Superscally