2023 legend slot

ProperTea

On 7/29/2022 at 6:43 PM, sedra said:

I still think Carole King with James Taylor guesting would be a great legend set. 

Just a James Taylor set would be fantastic, although I'd see him on acoustic rather than legend slot. Fantastic stuff.

It’s going to be interesting to see what they do with the slot over the coming years.

If they stick with the slightly cheesy/camp singalongs then we’re at a point where it’ll start to be artists from the 90s such as Spice Girls, Robbie etc. 

Not sure how many artists from the 90s have the prerequisites, so we may see a shift in what the slot means over time. 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

It’s going to be interesting to see what they do with the slot over the coming years.

If they stick with the slightly cheesy/camp singalongs then we’re at a point where it’ll start to be artists from the 90s such as Spice Girls, Robbie etc. 

Not sure how many artists from the 90s have the prerequisites, so we may see a shift in what the slot means over time. 

I’m all for a shift of what that slot is. Glastonbury has usually switched things up just ahead of them becoming stale, and I really do think the legend slot is on the cusp of approaching that. I think you could easily look to bring in some different types of acts but still keep it an unofficial 4th headliner, big song along act status. Might be not too popular on here but I’d throw in a curveball like Blink-182 or Green Day something. Give it a shot in the arm. That slot also gives you the chance to book those acts in the “too small to headline but too big to not headline” bracket.

Edited by jparx

On 7/29/2022 at 6:43 PM, sedra said:

I still think Carole King with James Taylor guesting would be a great legend set. 

Given Carole King headlined BST last time she was over, I suspect she'd probably want/expect to be higher up the bill. Would love to see her on the farm though.

4 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Given Carole King headlined BST last time she was over, I suspect she'd probably want/expect to be higher up the bill. Would love to see her on the farm though.

The legend slot is a headline slot these days. 

12 hours ago, jparx said:

I’m all for a shift of what that slot is. Glastonbury has usually switched things up just ahead of them becoming stale, and I really do think the legend slot is on the cusp of approaching that. I think you could easily look to bring in some different types of acts but still keep it an unofficial 4th headliner, big song along act status. Might be not too popular on here but I’d throw in a curveball like Blink-182 or Green Day something. Give it a shot in the arm. That slot also gives you the chance to book those acts in the “too small to headline but too big to not headline” bracket.

Really interesting thought. I'm kinda down with this as long as it doesn't ever turn into a slot where huge newish bands could play. 30 year minimum lifespan? Half a Stones gets you legendability if you're good enough...

12 hours ago, nikkic said:

Eh? What’s that got to do with it? Pulp clearly don’t fit the legend slot as it is.

Well, clearly it's not clear, or people wouldn't have suggested it or agreed with those suggestions. 

What are your eligibility criteria then?

I'd have said extremely popular artist with a very long career span. 

This person puts it better:

Legend:

- career span of at least 15 years (except in rap, which due to the nature of the genre doesn't lend itself well to minimum career length), with at least 5 album eras of relevant commercial success within the genre before hitting the 'waning' period of their career. Obviously there will be some lows along with the highs but generally the lows will be few for a long while, and even then it will be some time before they become completely commercially insignificant.

- obvious musical and/or performing influence on other artists in one's genre. This is not to be confused with people who merely set trends.

- critical acclaim/awards within one's genre. The critical acclaim is nebulous when it comes to pop, b/c critics are so harsh on that genre as a whole, but by the time a person gets 15-20 years into his or her career the critics have usually backtracked and acknowledge a pop great's past successes.

I'd say Pulp fit that quite well, no?

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Just my opinion, but they don't have the happy singalong tunes that EVERYONE knows aside from Common People and Disco 2000. I can't see them being booked for the legend slot. 

I thought next year was nailed on to be Spice Girls anyway? 

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Well, clearly it's not clear, or people wouldn't have suggested it or agreed with those suggestions. 

What are your eligibility criteria then?

I'd have said extremely popular artist with a very long career span. 

This person puts it better:

Legend:

- career span of at least 15 years (except in rap, which due to the nature of the genre doesn't lend itself well to minimum career length), with at least 5 album eras of relevant commercial success within the genre before hitting the 'waning' period of their career. Obviously there will be some lows along with the highs but generally the lows will be few for a long while, and even then it will be some time before they become completely commercially insignificant.

- obvious musical and/or performing influence on other artists in one's genre. This is not to be confused with people who merely set trends.

- critical acclaim/awards within one's genre. The critical acclaim is nebulous when it comes to pop, b/c critics are so harsh on that genre as a whole, but by the time a person gets 15-20 years into his or her career the critics have usually backtracked and acknowledge a pop great's past successes.

Pulp // Dolly // Lionel // Tom Jones // Kylie 

Who is the odd one out here? 

Cleary Pulp. 

The criteria at the moment is crowd friendly camp pop. That’s not Pulp.

The suggestion for them was if Glasto decide to move away from the camp pop and reimagine the legend slot, which is something I’d be all for. 

14 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Pulp // Dolly // Lionel // Tom Jones // Kylie 

Who is the odd one out here? 

Cleary Pulp. 

The criteria at the moment is crowd friendly camp pop. That’s not Pulp.

The suggestion for them was if Glasto decide to move away from the camp pop and reimagine the legend slot, which is something I’d be all for. 

That camp pop slot - its not Paul Simon or ELO, or Leonard Cohen, or Kenny Rogers (well, thats a bit arguable, he has one absolute classic singalong) and they've all been legend slots in the last 15 years or so - its a bit open to interpretation, and that's broadly a good thing to change it up. Neil Diamond (in 2014? ish) wasnt particularly camp at the time, but would be redoable with the whole Sweet Caroline thing thats happening in England over the last couple of years.

Thought its not a slot thats designed for me really  - Bring me the horizon opposite Kylie a couple of years back was ace, as were Amyl and the sniffers opposite Diana Ross this year! 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:57 PM, Punksnotdead said:

Just watched Duran Duran doing the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth games. I mean, good songs, but Le Bon has got even less stage presence than Jeff Lynne! A pink jacket and silver trousers does not make you a charismatic front man!

Didn't see it but that surprises me.  I saw them last year and it was a great show.  Wall to wall bangers and Le Bon was on decent form.

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

That camp pop slot - its not Paul Simon or ELO, or Leonard Cohen, or Kenny Rogers (well, thats a bit arguable, he has one absolute classic singalong) and they've all been legend slots in the last 15 years or so - its a bit open to interpretation, and that's broadly a good thing to change it up. Neil Diamond (in 2014? ish) wasnt particularly camp at the time, but would be redoable with the whole Sweet Caroline thing thats happening in England over the last couple of years.

Thought its not a slot thats designed for me really  - Bring me the horizon opposite Kylie a couple of years back was ace, as were Amyl and the sniffers opposite Diana Ross this year! 

Paul Simon and ELO went down like cold sick. Neil Diamond was pop enough with I’m a believer, Sweet Caroline and red red wine. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Just my opinion, but they don't have the happy singalong tunes that EVERYONE knows aside from Common People and Disco 2000. I can't see them being booked for the legend slot. 

I thought next year was nailed on to be Spice Girls anyway? 

Did Dolly other than Jolene and 9 to 5?

ELO went down well, albeit it was drizzling. Paul Simon was really poor.

Leonard Cohen was not in the legend slot, he subbed The Verve. Legend that year was Neil Diamond. Both Neil Diamond and definitely Laughing Lenny were better than most of the acts we have had since in the legend slot. Ray Davies and Barry Gibb were both good but no better/worse than Neil Diamond.

On 7/31/2022 at 9:37 AM, jparx said:

What makes you think it's on the cusp of going stale? Diana still pulled one of the biggest crowds of the weekend and yeah she couldn't sing very well but it was still a party atmosphere. I didn't see Kylie but that also looked like a great time.

I think the appeal of the legends slot in its current format is that you get to see an artist that many people wouldn't otherwise see at their own concert. I would guess a large proportion of the Dianna Ross crowd this year either haven't seen her before, or wouldn't have a ticket to see her at her own show but are there to enjoy it at Glasto and have a great time. If you change that slot to be bands like Blink182 and Pulp then I think many people will have seen them before and it kind of loses it's magic.

2 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

I think the appeal of the legends slot in its current format is that you get to see an artist that many people wouldn't otherwise see at their own concert.

Not sure.

I think it's down to too much alcohol and irony.