2023 legend slot

ProperTea

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

There were a lot around this year, and not just while watching bands, but in general.

Definite upswing in the bellend quota this time round.  Just general inconsideration, pushing past people and through gaps without a word - often wearing a ridiculously oversized backpack, etc etc.  About 5 minutes before Macca came on some tried to push through the crowd near us with a massive pizza and a tray of chips and gravy.  Heard someone say "you'd better be fucking kidding mate." and they left.  I did however fully expect them to keep pushing until someone ended up wearing the pizza.  What a prick.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yep of course we can only ever really talk from our own perspective and I have loved some legend slots but they have been the less busy ones or ones where I caught a very lucky break where the people around me were like minded and into the music as well. 

I guess for me my recent experiences have been that it's not the people on the stage who have spoiled my experience but the people in the field around me. I turned up early for Macca during Noel and I'm not really a fan of the man but I appreciate other people are so I didn't talk loudly to other people around me because I was well aware that the set may well be someone else's favourite of the weekend. I wish I could say other people had afforded me the same respect over the weekend. I'm not talking about the odd comment in between songs but full blown conversations taking place at such a volume that it's impossible to enjoy the music. My usual tactic of just move isn't practical at the legends slots because there isn't room to move.

Even though her voice etc wasn't as good as it was in its prime I think if stood in the right place I could have had a great time but we left after about 5 songs because the guy in front of us literally didn't stop to draw breath during that time. He couldn't get his phone to charge, he'd had some chips that he wasn't happy with, telling his friends everything he'd done during the day so far. I personally will never understand why someone who clearly has no interest in the busiest act of the weekend wouldn't just say I'll meet you after DiRo when it's less busy. I'll sit in a bar or go to some music I do like during that time instead of turning up and making it so hard for others to enjoy. I've been to acts that I don't know that well but if I wasn't enjoying them to the extent that I would rather chat with my friends then I'd leave and go sit somewhere with my friends and chat rather than ruin the experience for other people around me. 

I know lots of people have mentioned talkers this year, but for some reason or another (perhaps my coating of Gin?) I'm not very aware (and you know I'm an old git so I'm nowhere near the heart of the action) - as distinct from a couple of indoor gigs I've been to this year where that and the prolonged video recording where fully evident.

Mind you if someone has purchased food within easy reach of the Pyramid and it wasn't the most superior quality on the site then that clearly is a bloody outrage and should be reported to the highest authorities!  You should have chipped in and suggested he tweet it to Emily 🙂 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

I know lots of people have mentioned talkers this year, but for some reason or another (perhaps my coating of Gin?) I'm not very aware (and you know I'm an old git so I'm nowhere near the heart of the action) - as distinct from a couple of indoor gigs I've been to this year where that and the prolonged video recording where fully evident.

Mind you if someone has purchased food within easy reach of the Pyramid and it wasn't the most superior quality on the site then that clearly is a bloody outrage and should be reported to the highest authorities!  You should have chipped in and suggested he tweet it to Emily 🙂 

I think if I had spoken to him I would have said I wish he had choked on said chips. I really was feeling less than charitable towards him. 😂

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's in the extremely unlikely to happen category as she's certainly looking very frail but if Joni Mitchell turned up that would get me to the legend slot. I would get myself in the pit for that!!

https://pitchfork.com/news/joni-mitchell-gives-rare-surprise-performance-at-newport-folk-festival-watch/?fbclid=IwAR36iTJ9ERwohMNwBF-PN-HaEdSH3sF3Z30raJRvr8xakGqVSW-O3CIwN4k

What an absolute joy it is to see her onstage again when it looked so unlikely. Those people in the crowd better realise how unbelievably privileged they are to have witnessed that.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, gigpusher said:

It's in the extremely unlikely to happen category as she's certainly looking very frail but if Joni Mitchell turned up that would get me to the legend slot. I would get myself in the pit for that!!

https://pitchfork.com/news/joni-mitchell-gives-rare-surprise-performance-at-newport-folk-festival-watch/?fbclid=IwAR36iTJ9ERwohMNwBF-PN-HaEdSH3sF3Z30raJRvr8xakGqVSW-O3CIwN4k

What an absolute joy it is to see her onstage again when it looked so unlikely. Those people in the crowd better realise how unbelievably privileged they are to have witnessed that.

Watched the YouTube video's yesterday after reading the article. So unlikely, but this would also get me back to the legend slot in a flash.

Made me remember Leonard Cohen in 2008. Now I am going to watch some of that on YouTube. That was such a special afternoon.

Just now, Neville Street said:

Watched the YouTube video's yesterday after reading the article. So unlikely, but this would also get me back to the legend slot in a flash.

Made me remember Leonard Cohen in 2008. Now I am going to watch some of that on YouTube. That was such a special afternoon.

Yep it will never happen but just seeing this footage cheered me up greatly. I love how every singer and musician on that stage is so loving and supportive of her and so obviously in awe of just being there. She’s one of the all time greats and they all know and appreciate the moment. Great for her to see how much she means to people as well. Too often people only talk about it after someone has passed. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

What are peoples thoughts on Tracy Chapman?

Outside of Fast Car I doubt the majority of the crowd would know a single one of her other songs, so not one for the legends slot. More likely for the Acoustic tent I’d have thought, unless I’m totally underestimating her size in this day and age.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Man why do you go if you don’t like the people that Glasto book?

There's over a hundred stages at Glastonbury, plenty for me.

For some people the festival is about more than the acts. I have a very long history with Glastonbury, many old mates with a similar history that I only ever see there.

Edited by Skip997

3 hours ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Shout but thats got acoustic tent written all over it mate

Yes that's where I would expect her to turn up as well. I don't think she'd be too out of place in a lower down slot on Pyramid and wherever she played I would be there in a heartbeat. 

10 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Just watched Duran Duran doing the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth games. I mean, good songs, but Le Bon has got even less stage presence than Jeff Lynne! A pink jacket and silver trousers does not make you a charismatic front man!

Exactly this!  I watched them last year on TV playing live (think it was IOW) and I thought it was awful.  He was absolutely cringe on stage with zero charisma and I thought his voice was terrible as well.  Had to turn it off it was that bad, and I say this as someone who loved a lot of their stuff back in the day.

On 7/28/2022 at 5:52 PM, Skip997 said:

I doubt any of the actual legends (truly worthy of the name) that are still living and performing would accept a Sunday afternoon slot.

Apart from the actual legends that have already done it and accepted the Sunday afternoon slot?

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Apart from the actual legends that have already done it and accepted the Sunday afternoon slot?

In my mind Roachford is a legend and far more worthy of the legend slot than other so-called legends that they give the legends slot to.

But I dont care cos I get my ticket for free.