2023 legend slot

ProperTea

15 hours ago, Skip997 said:

This is going from bad to worse.

Is anyone going to suggest a decent act for the legends, although I'm not sure there are any.

Time to bin the legends slot IMO

As per previous - Annie Lennox

Always thought Billy Ocean would smash it personally.

45 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I have a £50 bet with my partner that in the next 30 years, Sean Paul will do the legends slot. but maybe not next year. 

He's played G a few times hasn't he?  Not Legends slot but still.  2019 the last one?

23 hours ago, gigpusher said:

The legend slot should be something you only go to if you like that legend. Unfortunately it has become a kind of touristy thing where people show up just to take the photos to prove they were there whether they like it or not and most people only know 1 or 2 songs of the legend. I think going forward I'll have to bloody love the legend to put myself through it. 

I think you're thinking of it from your own perspective - someone who clearly loves live music and sees a lot of acts - where of course many folks aren't so well informed. 

Unlike some commenting here I've been to most of the legend slots and had a great time - ideally just a laugh in the sun with some much loved tunes and enjoying being in a large crowd all doing the same. 

After the festival if I see folks either that know I always go to the festival, or that I encounter where the subject comes up they won't be asking if I saw Self Esteem, Simz or Amyl and the Sniffers - as they are typically older and therefore will be asking about headliners or the Legend. 

I think it's a great thing and as with any pyramid act people can enjoy or go to the other stages 😊

Edited by clarkete
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I think you're thinking of it from your own perspective - someone who clearly loves live music and sees a lot of acts - where of course many folks aren't so well informed. 

Unlike some commenting here I've been to most of the legend slots and had a great time - ideally just a laugh in the sun with some much loved tunes and enjoying being in a large crowd all doing the same. 

After the festival if I see folks either that know I always go to the festival, or that I encounter where the subject comes up they won't be asking if I saw Self Esteem, Simz or Amyl and the Sniffers - as they are typically older and therefore will be asking about headliners or the Legend. 

I think it's a great thing and as with any pyramid act people can enjoy or go to the other stages 😊

Yep of course we can only ever really talk from our own perspective and I have loved some legend slots but they have been the less busy ones or ones where I caught a very lucky break where the people around me were like minded and into the music as well. 

I guess for me my recent experiences have been that it's not the people on the stage who have spoiled my experience but the people in the field around me. I turned up early for Macca during Noel and I'm not really a fan of the man but I appreciate other people are so I didn't talk loudly to other people around me because I was well aware that the set may well be someone else's favourite of the weekend. I wish I could say other people had afforded me the same respect over the weekend. I'm not talking about the odd comment in between songs but full blown conversations taking place at such a volume that it's impossible to enjoy the music. My usual tactic of just move isn't practical at the legends slots because there isn't room to move.

Even though her voice etc wasn't as good as it was in its prime I think if stood in the right place I could have had a great time but we left after about 5 songs because the guy in front of us literally didn't stop to draw breath during that time. He couldn't get his phone to charge, he'd had some chips that he wasn't happy with, telling his friends everything he'd done during the day so far. I personally will never understand why someone who clearly has no interest in the busiest act of the weekend wouldn't just say I'll meet you after DiRo when it's less busy. I'll sit in a bar or go to some music I do like during that time instead of turning up and making it so hard for others to enjoy. I've been to acts that I don't know that well but if I wasn't enjoying them to the extent that I would rather chat with my friends then I'd leave and go sit somewhere with my friends and chat rather than ruin the experience for other people around me. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I personally will never understand why someone who clearly has no interest in the busiest act of the weekend wouldn't just say I'll meet you after DiRo when it's less busy. I'll sit in a bar or go to some music I do like during that time instead of turning up and making it so hard for others to enjoy. I've been to acts that I don't know that well but if I wasn't enjoying them to the extent that I would rather chat with my friends then I'd leave and go sit somewhere with my friends and chat rather than ruin the experience for other people around me. 

perfectly put.  totally agree

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I personally will never understand why someone who clearly has no interest in the busiest act of the weekend wouldn't just say I'll meet you after DiRo when it's less busy. I'll sit in a bar or go to some music I do like during that time instead of turning up and making it so hard for others to enjoy. 

Because some people are c**ts. Will always be that way.

Didnt thankfully have that at any gigs this year apart from the idiot chatting loudly during Macca singing Here Today but someone told him to shut up.

Just now, The Nal said:

Because some people are c**ts. Will always be that way.

Didnt thankfully have that at any gigs this year apart from the idiot chatting loudly during Macca singing Here Today but someone told him to shut up.

I must have met a fair few of them this year. My Friday night headliner was spoiled by it as well and again we weren't right at the front but very much in amongst it. Thankfully had my fair share of being in good spots of crowds as well. 

19 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I must have met a fair few of them this year. My Friday night headliner was spoiled by it as well and again we weren't right at the front but very much in amongst it. Thankfully had my fair share of being in good spots of crowds as well. 

There were a lot around this year, and not just while watching bands, but in general.

24 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

The only time it really bothered me was when I was trying to listen to Greta … it wasn’t always clear what she was saying but talkers massively impacted that … and it was massively important to hear the message she was giving out 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

The only time it really bothered me was when I was trying to listen to Greta … it wasn’t always clear what she was saying but talkers massively impacted that … and it was massively important to hear the message she was giving out 

Whilst that was annoying I can understand it slightly more. She wasn't advertised. Nobody knew she would appear and whilst I think her message was important I know there are some people who don't like what they perceive to be political chat whereas the acts are all scheduled if you don't like them and don't want to listen to them there are plenty of areas of the festival to go to where you can just sit and chat. 

52 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Maybe this is the issue in that there are probably places in the crowd that are worse for it than others.

Right at the very front / in the pit are the hardcore fans who're wholly invested in it. Right at the back uts way more casual but there's lots of room to move away from people hashing the vibe.

But somewhere neither here nor there puts you square in the middle of bawbag central.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe this is the issue in that there are probably places in the crowd that are worse for it than others.

Right at the very front / in the pit are the hardcore fans who're wholly invested in it. Right at the back uts way more casual but there's lots of room to move away from people hashing the vibe.

But somewhere neither here nor there puts you square in the middle of bawbag central.

Maybe trouble is my husband doesn't love crowds and gets quite claustrophobic so at a really busy set he would never go in the pit hence my decision to in future avoid acts that seem likely to have higher proportions of twats.

It's fine thankfully I have wide musical tastes and generally have at least 3 way clashes for the majority of the festival but if I did get God like powers right after I'd sorted world peace I would make it so that persistent talkers at gigs were instantly smited.