2023 legend slot

ProperTea

10 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Tom Jones, I think

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ray Davies as well.

Fair enough, so it's not a complete no-no (but it might feel a bit less special if it's someone like Chic who's played quite recently).

I think Duran Duran have exactly the sort of hits you want for the spot, but they're still headlining other festivals. Probably don't see themselves as fodder for the Sunday afternoon chair people.

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

How long untill Coldplay fit this slot ? Or is it headliner or nothing ? It’s been a while ? Or will they just be left as a reserve waiting for a headliner to pull out ? 

while they’re still scoring number one albums and selling out multiple nights at Wembley every few years they’re definitely headliner or nothing lmao 

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

while they’re still scoring number one albums and selling out multiple nights at Wembley every few years they’re definitely headliner or nothing lmao 

Is there space ? When would they get invited back ? For me it’s not too soon but how soon is too soon ? 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Is there space ? When would they get invited back ? For me it’s not too soon but how soon is too soon ? 

2026 would be 10 years. That sounds about right. Would be a bit harsh if they had to wait until after the next fallow. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

If Coldplay are still selling out stadiums and relevant over the next couple of years, I'm sure the Eavii would have them in any case of emergency, especially as they love the festival and probably happy to do it for the nominal fee.

They are the perinnial Plan B. The easiest booking ME/EE could make.

In the Legends Slot, they'd prob just do it for the craic, and the field would be packed. I don't think they'd even care if they were still riding their wave, they'd just do it regardless.

5 hours ago, henry bear said:

I’ve just watched some recent clips, expecting the worst. Either he’s miming or his voice is in fine working order. That said, I’m not sure he’d pack the field the way Dolly or Diana did. Manilow or Cher next please!

Presumably it didn't include the widely panned acapella from Wimbledon this weekend? 

16 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

This is a bit off-kilter from previous legends but I reckon the Sugar Hill Gang, Furious 5 & Grandmaster Melle Mel. At the very least, they should have a slot somewhere on the Pyramid.

They are the pioneering Grandaddy's of hip hop. They play all the crowd-pleasing hits (and more), interact a lot and totally bring the party atmosphere. They work hard, really enjoy what they do and have still got it.

Run DMC would be another who fit this kind of bill - i'd be there for either. Run DMC at IOW a few years back was great fun. 

15 hours ago, henry bear said:

Bear in mind the legend slot should be for someone that will attract Pyramid field full of people wanting to see a living legend that has an 85 minutes of bangers that everyone will, ideally, want to sing along with. There’s deffo a place for the likes of Grandmaster Melle Mel at Glasto, but that slot ain’t it. 

Why on earth not. A catalogue of bangers and veritable legends. Perfect fit IMO. 

15 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

The only bands from the 80s who could fill the Pyramid would be Madge, Take That, and maybe Duran Duran and Spice Girls at a push

I think you might need to look up when TT and SG were about. It was deffo not the eighties. 

On 7/2/2022 at 9:22 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Do it. I dont think she's quite got the stack of bangers for the El Pointo slot, but she absolutely needs to show up in some guise. 

Had a reply to this. 

She’s been asked to play (not sure which stage) but turned it down because of the fee.