2023 legend slot

ProperTea

24 minutes ago, catavento said:

Yeah, McDonald would be great in the unofficial legend Pyramid slot, the low key legend. My dream booking for that kind of slot is always Steely Dan (even if it is the one of them now) 

Ah man that would be incredible. Did yers hear the tune he did with Thundercat/Kenny Loggins? Still doing great stuff this late into his career. Don’t think he’s big enough for it unfortunately.

9 hours ago, henry bear said:

The remaining boomer artists that could fit the bill* include

(As CalGon said)

Barry Manilow (saw him last Monday. They seriously need to get him)

Cher

Carole King

Billy Joel

Barbra Streisand 

Carly Simon

After that I’m struggling a bit, and then we get onto the Gen X performers, which is less appealing to me for this slot. I can’t imagine being excited to see Annie Lennox or Boy George

*must have a good quota of hits people can, and want to, sing along with. Preferably with extra cheese

Boy George would fill the field, for sure. He is absolutely beloved.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Spice Girls aren’t technically legends though. They’re still a 90’s nostalgia act, albeit a very popular one. I could see them getting the slot after the legend but not that exact slot. 

Celine/Cher into Spicies. 

Does this not apply to Kylie? 

I'm not sure Glasto are going to go down the largely immobile ageing solo-singer route again next year.

But I would love Cher.

56 minutes ago, joeyjarman said:

Just on the Spice Girls train of thought, part of me did think that having Mel C out and about was to test the water for a possible slot, be it legend or otherwise. 

Passed with flying colours in my opinion!

If some of the pop they booked this year is okay then booking Spice Girls who are an much mpre all round known act where people know the songs even if not liking then wouldn't be an issue. 

We can't deny and ignore from recent times that's where the festival is heading. 

10 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Spice Girls nailed on imo.

As well as Mel C, Geri was at the festival. She was perched on the walkway to the left (as you're facing) of the big screen during McCartney's set.

Helicopter'd in for Macca - and, I imagine, straight out again.

1 hour ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Does this not apply to Kylie? 

I'm not sure Glasto are going to go down the largely immobile ageing solo-singer route again next year.

But I would love Cher.

Kylie’s first single was 9 years before the Spice Girls’. And Kylie is the youngest to do that slot. 
I reckon the Spice Girls will do it at some point, but just get the feeling we’re a few years away.

10 hours ago, Simpo said:

If Fleetwood Mac are never gonna headline, how about getting Stevie Nicks to do the legend slot?

I think this would work superbly well. Don’t think she’d get anywhere near as big of a crowd as Lionel, Dolly, Kylie, Diana though.

Edited by Matt42

14 hours ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Kylie’s first single was 9 years before the Spice Girls’. And Kylie is the youngest to do that slot. 
I reckon the Spice Girls will do it at some point, but just get the feeling we’re a few years away.

It's also worth noting that Kylie's career in the charts spans 4 decades (1980's - 2010's), while the Spice Girls' spans 4 years (1996-2000).

4 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Isn't the really issue that the acts best suited for this slot keep dying - Bowie, George Michael, Michael Jackson, 

One was a headliner, one would have been perfect, the other should have gone to jail.