2023 legend slot

ProperTea

32 minutes ago, henry bear said:

The remaining boomer artists that could fit the bill* include

(As CalGon said)

Barry Manilow (saw him last Monday. They seriously need to get him)

Cher

Carole King

Billy Joel

Barbra Streisand 

Carly Simon

After that I’m struggling a bit, and then we get onto the Gen X performers, which is less appealing to me for this slot. I can’t imagine being excited to see Annie Lennox or Boy George

*must have a good quota of hits people can, and want to, sing along with. Preferably with extra cheese

Smokey Robinson?

3 minutes ago, blue6field said:

Smokey Robinson?

I love him, but honestly think too many people would say "who the hell is that?" even though those same people would recognise many of his songs.

At 82, (83 next year) I'd be concerned he is a bit past it. Not that he necessarily would be, but I find it a bit hard to watch some of these octogenarians struggling. It does depend on the type of performance of course. Herbie Hancock is 82 and played a brilliant set, but not being a singer and sitting down to play keys (mostly) it was always going to be an easier physical effort.

Imagine the mime spotters seeing this if he played?

Comical in fairness, from 30 seconds.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Doesn't Smokey definitely mime now?

A lot of it yeah. His voice just stops a lot if he tries to sing live. Too old sadly.

Edited by The Nal

1 hour ago, TheSeventhOne said:

He doesn't have the same cultural cache as a Diana Ross or a Dolly Parton but Michael McDonald would be good (edit: on second thought he might be better suited to the type of slot Burt Bacharach/Herbie Hancock had)

Yeah, McDonald would be great in the unofficial legend Pyramid slot, the low key legend. My dream booking for that kind of slot is always Steely Dan (even if it is the one of them now) 

• Like 1