2023 legend slot

ProperTea

I don't know if it's been said but the Legends's Slot, with the exception of Kylie, all have been artists/ (one) bands that have originated in the 60s or 70s. 

Talk of LEGENDS like Elton John are a miss. My general take is if they are selling out Stadiums (Elton, Stones, Macca) they are a headliner. Arena tours (Neil Diamond, Dolly, Sir Tom, Ray Davis, Miss Ross  etc) are Sunday afternoon. So araena+60/70s artist are potential. IMHO

Heard Manilow on radio today & is the best I can think of for next year. He's touring now and had we not had the postponements I think he would have been a show in for this year. Hope he's still in the mood next year.   

After Melanie C popping up so much this year I'm actually leaning towards The Spice Girls doing it next year? A case of someone coming to check the festival out before doing it? She certainly looked energised and ecstatic to be there during her set and in NYC Downlow. Geri was also spotted on site.

Edited by ProperTea

2 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

After Melanie C popping up so much this year I'm actually leaning towards The Spice Girls doing it next year? A case of someone coming to check the festival out before doing it? She certainly looked energised and ecstatic to be there during her set and in NYC Downlow. Geri was also spotted on site.

Also the surprise of Mel C singing Spice up your life with Blossoms absolutely nailed that the crowd would love it. Everyone was having a party once Mel C came out!

4 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Wait Mel C turned up in Downlow?

I was there for Roisin Murphy but had no idea Mel C did something there too!

Going for my annual John Fogerty shout. Yeah it’d be a much smaller deal, but not sure how sustainable the current legend model is anyway. Whack a bigger indie/pop act on the other, something akin to O Rod this year/Billie last for a nice crowd split. Few people out there have as many heavyweight tunes in their arsenal as the big man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Don’t think it’ll happen but I think Snoop Dogg would be a good leftfield option.

I was about to say he only played a couple of years ago, but then realised it was 2010 and that was twelve years ago and I’m really old 🤣 he was good, but I’d rather see Dre or Ice Cube 

The remaining boomer artists that could fit the bill* include

(As CalGon said)

Barry Manilow (saw him last Monday. They seriously need to get him)

Cher

Carole King

Billy Joel

Barbra Streisand 

Carly Simon

After that I’m struggling a bit, and then we get onto the Gen X performers, which is less appealing to me for this slot. I can’t imagine being excited to see Annie Lennox or Boy George

*must have a good quota of hits people can, and want to, sing along with. Preferably with extra cheese

3 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Has Rod Stewart done it before, or is there another reason we've not mentioned him?

He headlined obviously, way back in 2003/4 (someone correct me).

I saw him about 5 years ago, took my Dad as he’s a big fan. 

He’s got the tunes obviously, but it’d be a big no from me.

Found his stage patter cringey AF. 

1 hour ago, ProperTea said:

I think Mel C would jump at the chance of a Spice Girls slot regardless if she'd DJ'd there or not, to check it out or not.

Spice Girls all the way for 2023 Legends, I reckon.

I know it’s all subjective an all, but Robbie bloody Williams?  Taking aside my dislike for his music (and his smug grin) I just don’t think he’s old enough, legendary enough or storied enough for the legend slot. (Thought the same about Kylie too, to be honest) 

Billy Joel is a great shout, Carole King would be amazing, I’d have nominated Art Garfunkel but he played acoustic a couple of years back and was great - I don’t suppose he and Paul Simon fancy a sunny afternoon at the pyramid? Now that would be legendary . . . 

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

I know it’s all subjective an all, but Robbie bloody Williams?  Taking aside my dislike for his music (and his smug grin) I just don’t think he’s old enough, legendary enough or storied enough for the legend slot. (Thought the same about Kylie too, to be honest) 

But she smashed it, and he would too.