2023 legend slot

ProperTea

12 hours ago, henry bear said:

There may have been a time (20 odd years ago) when this might have made sense - he’s certainly got more than enough cheesy hits that loads of people know. I just don’t think there’s an appetite for him now.

Perhaps on the John Peel Stage 😬

He’s got the songs for sure, and look at the crowds Rolf Harris used to pull (although I probably shouldn’t mention him while trying to make a case!). Maybe not the legend slot but I think he should be given a set. 

9 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Yet Glasto didnt want to let Kylie headline after her cancellation and just waited 15 years for a Legends slot instead. Some household name that is if you had to wait that long for your turn. And Kylie didnt incur the wrath of country music like Shania did because she crossed over into mainstream music and such. Be one of the artists that has to break through for others to follow and you have much more of a legacy than just being a beloved personality. You should tell Taylor Swift that you think Shania is just another singer and her songs arent good and I think youll get a slap in the face.

In terms of the UK audience, Kylie is much more loved the Shania.  If you didn't know that before, you should have realised this on that Sunday afternoon in 2019.   We fucking love her. 

9 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Yet Glasto didnt want to let Kylie headline after her cancellation and just waited 15 years for a Legends slot instead. Some household name that is if you had to wait that long for your turn. And Kylie didnt incur the wrath of country music like Shania did because she crossed over into mainstream music and such. Be one of the artists that has to break through for others to follow and you have much more of a legacy than just being a beloved personality. You should tell Taylor Swift that you think Shania is just another singer and her songs arent good and I think youll get a slap in the face.

Doing Kylie down doesn't help Shania's case at all.

As for incurring the wrath of country music - that means absolutely nothing to UK audiences.

And Taylor Swift could slap me from here to next week, but that still won't make Shania Twain Legend material.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:38 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Cliff absolutely makes sense as a booking and surely must be on their shortlist.

Millennium prayer on a Sunday afternoon. That would be epic, crowd as big and crazy as the Levellers in 1994 . Jesus freaks high on holy water tearing down the fence to get in, the rest of us running in fear of being converted. 

The pool for Uber legends is definitely diminishing.

There’s been a stellar run the last few festivals, Dolly, Lionel, Kylie, Bazza and now Di-Ro.

Wonder when we’ll start seeing 90s stars rolled out in the legend slot. Got to be this decade, you’d think.

25 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

No way are they legends either.

Certainly would like to see them on the bill though.

I sometimes think people worry too much about the legend status part and forget that the main thing people want is a big old sing along. For that Erasure and Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott would actually be great shouts. As Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott play so often I didn’t suggest them but Erasure definitely have the necessary sing along tunes! 

27 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I vote Annie Lennox 

She still has the chops, and has a ton of hits including her Eurythmics stuff.   Walking on Broken Glass, Sweet Dreams, Here Comes the Rain again, ... Honestly would be a festival highlight for me.  

I could see this.

I wonder if a Eurythmics reunion is a possibility. I think that would be pretty huge. Headliner huge, I'm not sure, but close.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 10:36 AM, Olshansky said:

I vote Annie Lennox 

She still has the chops, and has a ton of hits including her Eurythmics stuff.   Walking on Broken Glass, Sweet Dreams, Here Comes the Rain again, ... Honestly would be a festival highlight for me.  

Eurythmics are getting inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame this year (no word on if they’ll perform if they do and it’s not just a one off I’d be a big fan of them doing the Sunday teatime slot) 

as a complete aside has anyone mentioned Frankie Valli and the four seasons? Reckon they’d be ace too.