2023 legend slot

ProperTea

Celine’s dates make her look like an early contender but I can’t help but think Kylie, Diana, Celine all in succession might be a bit optimistic? Surely we are due a bloke/band eventually?

Celine would make me incredibly happy but I question when the festival will shake it up a bit. One more in line with the ELO booking?

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Celine’s dates make her look like an early contender but I can’t help but think Kylie, Diana, Celine all in succession might be a bit optimistic? Surely we are due a bloke/band eventually?

Celine would make me incredibly happy but I question when the festival will shake it up a bit. One more in line with the ELO booking?

You mean more like the least successful booking of the last decade?

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

You mean more like the least successful booking of the last decade?

No just that while the legendary female pop stars streak is extremely impressive it’s not exactly sustainable as there isn’t an unlimited source of them left. I just wonder if we are due a year where the legend isn’t exactly “massive massive”.

Probably - the pool isn’t exactly endless, particularly with Elton now firmly out of it and in the headliner camp.

Manilow and Cliff are probably their best two remaining options.  Carole King has the hits but it would be more of a low key Paul Simon-esque set than a party vibe.

(I've not counted but I think more men have done it than women overall).

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No just that while the legendary female pop stars streak is extremely impressive it’s not exactly sustainable as there isn’t an unlimited source of them left. I just wonder if we are due a year where the legend isn’t exactly “massive massive”.

I think you’re over thinking it, especially with legends as you don’t know how long they’ll be around for. If Celine Dion is available they’ll book her regardless of who went before.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Celine would be a reasonable option, but she's pretty young still (same age as Kylie) and would be a fair bit more divisive than Kylie given she's associated more with overwrought ballads than fun times.

Idk why but her tour delay videos have been really funny. meme material

Personally I'd hate it, but Cher has to be in with a shout. 

Manilow would be the perfect one, I think. The teatime slot has taken on a life of it's own in recent years. Fancy dress, party atmosphere and a huge crowd has become a staple for that slot, arguably since Dolly. Manilow and Cher fit the bill perfectly in that sense.

14 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Bring back Stevie Wonder!

Apart from Elton John, I can't think of another true legend more worthy.

+1 for Stevie returning one year. His set in 2010 is actually one I’m pretty sad I wasn’t at. I can’t see it as likely but it’s one I would absolute love to happen.