Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

41 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

What are you on about - it's been diabolical for actually being able to see the stage and the artist you came to see for years.

Some of the posts on this thread are like a new twist on the emperor's new clothes fable - people reluctant to call it out for how it is because it's glastonbury and 'special'

They've been getting worse year on year. That's all.

7 minutes ago, Drinky said:

One of Olivia Rodrigo’s team walked the crowd with security before she started handing out about 15-20 big purple flags on poles with different variations of her name/logo on… for some artists the sea of flags is part and parcel of the experience?

I daresay the artists do think it looks nice from their viewpoint but they would be a bit oblivious if the thought didn't also occurr that they're performance isn't directly visible for a huge swathe of the audience. Traditionally the curtain rolls back when the artist comes on stage.

9 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I thought the same. 2019 was a decent amount of flags... they were there but not over bearing. This year it got a bit rediculous at times

Yes fewer but still very view blocking. Here is not a photo of The Cure what I took.

HKy2jn8.jpeg

36 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

Bit harsh; only a throw away comment on an internet forum. Not in court where I need to produce evidence for the not so foolish Deano. 

I wish they'd ban flags, chairs & blankets from the front rail to the crush barrier. Having made the way in there Saturday to have most of the view of the stage blocked by the "Please feed the dog" flag was a pisser.....

I'm sure I've been to other outdoor gigs/festivals where there was a point marked on the floor where blankets & chairs were banned going beyond.

Anyone remember the Dad flag? I met Chris a few times - nice guy - sadly he died a few years ago. He was a good writer and kep a blog. Before he died he expressed his regrets for the way the flag situation had got out of hand and his part in promoting it.

4 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Bit harsh; only a throw away comment on an internet forum. Not in court where I need to produce evidence for the not so foolish Deano. 

Meant it in jest really - point is I watched the entire set on the screens (because you couldn't see the stage with the flags anyway) and there were no long shots that weren't covered in flags. Unless the BBC footage uses extra cameras that the festival screen people don't have access too, I know with absolute certainty you're wrong.

McCartney was the only act I saw on the Pyramid all festival, so can't say for sure in any other case. But I know for sure I'm dead right and you're dead wrong in this case.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Imagine how good that photo would of been without all the flags in the way...

The fun loving criminals video shows why it should be phones and flags down...

Indeed. efests had a snapper in the pit so lot's of good close ups, but that kind of wide view/record of the show has been lost.

2 hours ago, DTichborne said:

Everyone who says that the flags are a good way to meet friends... other geographic reference points are available that won't potentially move before your friends arrive. 

They are a good way to meet mates. But you only need to have them up for the time you are waiting for your mate. I don't think the people in the pit holding them up for the duration of a set are trying to meet their mates. We need to differentiate between the flag w*nkers and the flag good guys.

We put up a flag when a mate is coming back from the toilet or from another stage to meet us then put it down again. We've even had people we don't know come up and say can you put the flag back up for a few minutes again so I can tell my friend where to find me, which we are always happy to do.

There is no need to have a flag up for the duration of a set though. People doing that just want to be on TV and don't care they are ruining others experience.

9 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

They are a good way to meet mates. But you only need to have them up for the time you are waiting for your mate. I don't think the people in the pit holding them up for the duration of a set are trying to meet their mates. We need to differentiate between the flag w*nkers and the flag good guys.

We put up a flag when a mate is coming back from the toilet or from another stage to meet us then put it down again. We've even had people we don't know come up and say can you put the flag back up for a few minutes again so I can tell my friend where to find me, which we are always happy to do.

There is no need to have a flag up for the duration of a set though. People doing that just want to be on TV and don't care they are ruining others experience.

Nothing to 'do' here - we're clearly not discussing flags taken down for the show. 

Yes the flags look nice on TV but there are so many now they are spoiling the view  and enjoyment of tens of thousands of others who have no real view of the stage and now can’t even view the screens. It’s just selfish. Just take them down during performances. I see the point of using them to find friends when the acts arnt on but far too many now are designed just to get themselves on tv.
‘Look at me I’m at Glastonbury ‘ isn’t a reason to ruin the experience of so many. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes the flags look nice on TV but there are so many now they are spoiling the view  and enjoyment of tens of thousands of others who have no real view of the stage and now can’t even view the screens. It’s just selfish. Just take them down during performances. I see the point of using them to find friends when the acts arnt on but far too many now are designed just to get themselves on tv.
‘Look at me I’m at Glastonbury ‘ isn’t a reason to ruin the experience of so many. 

And the trouble is now it was sanctioned in favour of the TV audience when Emily Eavis did a stupid online poll about it that was surely dominated by the millions of TV viewers. It needs to come from her or Michael but I reckon Emily probably thinks the matter has been settled fair and square and that's that.

I hate the flags... Someone near me at psb has these led ghosts which I thought looked great and you could easily find your mates if you got lost 

Edit - they weren't big about A4 size

IMG_20220627_211956.jpg

Edited by gazzared