Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

It not really "hard" to police to be honest...

Security can cut a path through a crowd quite effectively if they want too if they want to intervene...

Its simple a choice for the festival organisers if they can be arsed or not.  Reality is its become a symbol of Glastonbury and I would imagine the organisers like the way it looks on TV and photos.

Edited by Barry Fish

13 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

I put this also in the "controversial opinions" thread but why is this even a controversial opinion? If you went to see Paul McCartney then this is what you saw... and even the big screens didn't help that much for any of the shots not taken from the stage.

20220625_211901.jpg

Exactly this. Said for a while you could have a few, tall, permanent flag poles to help people find their mates etc - with entered designs on. 

Loads of flags were indefensible even if you like flags - way to short, large or contained multiple flags. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It not really "hard" to police to be honest...

Security can cut a path through a crowd quite effectively if they want too if they want to intervene...

Its simple a choice for the festival organisers if they can be arsed or not.  Reality is its become a symbol of Glastonbury and I would imagine the organisers like the way it looks on TV and photos.

They're banned from the Arcadia field for safety reasons, it can totally be requested. 

As I said, I don't want loads of rules but if one rule of the festival is "don't be selfish to others" then surely this is not a big ask. 

The flags annoy me as they totally block your view but it's part of Glastonbury now I guess. They shouldn't be allowed in the tents though, just no need. Personally I can't see why people would want to walk around all day carrying it just so they can spot their flag on TV when they get back? Some will say it's so friends can find them easily enough but we had no flag and always managed to meet up.

Glasto must be the only large UK festival where you can walk from campsite to arena without a proper arena check nowadays as a result of not really doing the whole arena day ticket shebang the rest do. Whilst that's probably one of the things that means it's unique it also means you're gonna get things like people with rucksacks and flags that would normally be left at the camp site. Last time I went to Download a bottle of water and a jumper was pretty much all I could get into the arena.  It also means you're gonna get more people doing drugs at stages, most festivals the diehard druggies hang about on the camp site. 

I'd imagine the local farmers and the police would never go for it but moving the campsites outside the super-fence could be a way to enable arena rules at the stages like most festivals as well as increase capacity. 

Edited by willgooneday
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, LetsGoToMars said:

For Macca we managed to get right near the front, in front of the safety barrier, so no issues with flags. Instead we had some dickhead who brought an acoustic guitar and waved it around for the whole gig.

20220625_233543.jpg

The flags don't really bother me (pretty poor selection of funny/witty ones this year) but I saw that guitar holding w*nker earlier in the day too at Kae Tempest. Literally, why? Surely that's not enjoyable.

That acoustic guitar was in the crowd for Turnstile too, at one point the singer crowd surfed and grabbed it for a bit, legend. 

I have zero beef with the flags. 

5 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Glasto must be the only large UK festival where you can walk from campsite to arena without a proper arena check nowadays as a result of not really doing the whole arena day ticket shebang the rest do. Whilst that's probably one of the things that means it's unique it also means you're gonna get things like people with rucksacks and flags that would normally be left at the camp site. Last time I went to Download a bottle of water and a jumper was pretty much all I could get into the arena.  It also means you're gonna get more people doing drugs at stages, most festivals the diehard druggies hang about on the camp site. 

I'd imagine the local farmers and the police would never go for it but moving the campsites outside the super-fence could be a way to enable arena rules at the stages like most festivals as well as increase capacity. 

The day they do this is the day I stop going. 

This was my view for Sam Fender just by the sound desk. Years ago I was stood next to Emily Eavis and her husband at the Pyramid and they were having a conversation about how beautiful all the flags looked. And it did, as you look out into the field, problem is very very few people have that view as they are looking towards the stage not away from it. If you take a flag you are selfish whatever your justification.IMG20220624201930.thumb.jpg.959e39b496b2515aac6acd9c469a9153.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Skoo said:

That acoustic guitar was in the crowd for Turnstile too, at one point the singer crowd surfed and grabbed it for a bit, legend. 

I have zero beef with the flags. 

He was also at Idles plus somewhere else I forget!

19 minutes ago, LetsGoToMars said:

For Macca we managed to get right near the front, in front of the safety barrier, so no issues with flags. Instead we had some dickhead who brought an acoustic guitar and waved it around for the whole gig.

20220625_233543.jpg

At least that is music related, there was someone with a giant tennis racket, wtf.

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

100% ban flags. Its not that hard, they are banned from Arcadia for health and safety reasons. Even saying 'we don't want people bringing flags' will mainly do it

Yup at least when someone starts to put one up you would have just cause to call them out for it!  Community would largely police it.

I can see a day when they won’t be allowed in the front section as at both Macca and PSB they were struggling to get footage for the screens that didn’t have flags in the way. If the BBC can’t get good footage they may apply pressure for them to be removed. 

I personally think that all country and football flags should be banned and only funny or entertaining ones should be allowed. If you are going to spoil my view at least entertain me. 

44 minutes ago, Scotdy said:

This was my view for Sam Fender just by the sound desk. Years ago I was stood next to Emily Eavis and her husband at the Pyramid and they were having a conversation about how beautiful all the flags looked. And it did, as you look out into the field, problem is very very few people have that view as they are looking towards the stage not away from it. If you take a flag you are selfish whatever your justification.IMG20220624201930.thumb.jpg.959e39b496b2515aac6acd9c469a9153.jpg

Ive never really cared about the flags but that one with 4 flags on one pole instantly made me angry. Fuck off with that.

• Upvote 2

Flags was  def an issue this time even moreso. Yesterday morning at Just Mustard it was nice and peaceful until the George Ezra news came out and the flags followed. I get annoyed to hell with one single flag or totem at  Coachella and theyre not allowed at all cause ya know, people need to see. People get creative and find ways to get something small but nothing insane. 

Did anyone see the extremely large Ukraine flag? Saw it at a few stages over the weekend and must’ve been at least 4 times the size of a normal flag, completely blocked out the view of the stage on its own for me in some instances