Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

1 hour ago, DTichborne said:

But the flags at the Pyramid mean most of the thousands of people in attendance can't see the stage

I mean come on, I’ve stood in a wide variety of positions in that field and whilst you might not see what sort of shoes macca has on this is an overreaction no?

34 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

THIS! 2019 there were enough at lots of stages. I expect this to be worse this year.

Yeah you won't be complaining about a flag when you're choking on the fumes of the 7th smoke flare during live and let die.

I always appreciated the flags to help you find your mates and understand why large groups of friends have them for that reason.  But I'm going to be very interested this year to see to what extent What Three Words works as a substitute and eliminates the need for flags.  I imagine I might be less tolerant of flags if their main purpose is no longer as valid and they are simply there for the sake of it.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

New screens?

It looks like bigger screens will be installed at the Pyramid this year. The supports are larger and seem to point towards that. Its been due for an upgrade for a while since the current ones have been the same For 10 years.

As much as flags have a place at the festival I think you do need big screens to let people in the back see. But even moreso you need good sound. If I cant hear it in the back much less see, why bother. I left The Jacksons in 2017 cause it sounded like shite and could see perfectly fine.

Still wouldnt mind if there was some regulation about how deep flags can go near the stages. Why would I try ti get close just for somebody to be holding their damn pole in front of me.

Edited by Suprefan

It’s been 3 years since the last Glastonbury, I don’t care if you wave your dirty bed sheets around on a stick ffs. 

• Upvote 2

Isn't part of why we love Glastonbury that there's *nowhere* like Glastonbury? And the flags are a massive part of the festival and, essentially, no other. Long May they continue. As for regulating how close they go, I don't want any 'unnecessary' regulations in Paradise. 

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

Isn't part of why we love Glastonbury that there's *nowhere* like Glastonbury? And the flags are a massive part of the festival and, essentially, no other. Long May they continue. As for regulating how close they go, I don't want any 'unnecessary' regulations in Paradise. 

Ben

There was nowhere like Glastonbury well before things started getting silly with flags in the late 00s, the proliferation is still a relatively recent thing - and still, for the most part, confined to the televised stages, especially the 3 most widely televised.

No, not a massive part of the festival - just a massive part of the TV coverage.

1 minute ago, incident said:

There was nowhere like Glastonbury well before things started getting silly with flags in the late 00s, the proliferation is still a relatively recent thing - and still, for the most part, confined to the televised stages, especially the 3 most widely televised.

No, not a massive part of the festival - just a massive part of the TV coverage.

I guess it's a matter of personal perspective. They're a big part of the overall 'otherness' of Glastonbury compared to any other festival I've ever been to, is all.

Ben

4 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Yeah, peace and love and all that, but when you're in the pit they can be a bloody pain.

Look good on the telly though.

image.thumb.png.ae6fda12e9db0bd3145d3e6421dbf8cf.png

There’s only 3 flags in that shot, yet you’ve successfully managed to find the one spot where all 3 are in the way

As our teenage 'kids' are with us this year i thought taking a flag for the first time was a good way of finding us after they've been off to watch some radio 1 pop nonsense! Is 3 little words really what people use these days instead?

I've been 5 times, never had a problem with flags for any set on any of the main stages. In many of these shots of stages, the flags are blocking perhaps one fiftieth of the stage.

If all you want from a gig at Glasto is to be able to view the lead singer 100% of the time, unobstructed by anything (including flags, tall people, the sound stage, trees, people sat on shoulders, the outer speakers, people taking photos and videos, flares, a low diving swallow, bouncing inflatable balls, confetti, laser shows), then you need to lower your expectations or move to a position where none of those things are taking place.