Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

Love seeing the flags. You can’t see the band on the stage that well anyway, even from the pit on the Pyramid. The bands love them and the BBC love them. Also have you noticed how you get more crowd shots as soon as a few go up on shoulders; they love it for tv. 

Was it just me or was the screen quality absolutely incredibly High Def this year…so, so clear. 

11 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Love seeing the flags. You can’t see the band on the stage that well anyway, even from the pit on the Pyramid. The bands love them and the BBC love them. Also have you noticed how you get more crowd shots as soon as a few go up on shoulders; they love it for tv. 

Was it just me or was the screen quality absolutely incredibly High Def this year…so, so clear. 

The UHD from the pyramid streaming was amazing 

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

6014D465-A835-4037-AC8B-626580CFD0DF.thumb.png.d2ca2ad3b90b254118f13dad0c24104e.png

Enjoy a good flag myself. This men with Ven one my favourite this year.

But they should be either funny or perhaps showing that your group is from a far flung place or some little village or whatever, then it tells whatever other small number of people from that place to come and say hello - which we’ve done in the past, going and chatting to those with flags of obscure places our group has connections to. Quite cool imo

Agree that it was grim to see a proliferation of union Jacks/jubilee and engerland flags this year though.

Was joking that it wouldn’t surprise me if at this rate we saw a margaret Thatcher flag or a big russia flag one year

This is my brother in law’s flag - also had the El Vino Did Flow one in his group 

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why anyone brings flags. I suppose they like drawing attention to themselves. There are more and more every year so soon the festival will have to take action imo. It's interfering the television coverage and showing the bands on the big screens for the people further back. During Diana Ross I noticed a few times the screens switched to shots where view of the stage was almost completely blocked by flags. But I guess the people bringing them to have a funny in joke with their mates don't give a toss.

For those who want to see flags banned, I see a simple strategy for you:

• Go to the festival with some really obnoxious flags advertising scam cryptocurrencies, or asking people to follow your social media page. Maybe even advertising tickets for other events/gigs/festivals. Be creative here.
  • Spread out around the pit, to ensure they all get loads of TV time
  • Everyone now hates flags
  • Flags are banned

7 minutes ago, Sku said:

For those who want to see flags banned, I see a simple strategy for you:

• Go to the festival with some really obnoxious flags advertising scam cryptocurrencies, or asking people to follow your social media page. Maybe even advertising tickets for other events/gigs/festivals. Be creative here.
  • Spread out around the pit, to ensure they all get loads of TV time
  • Everyone now hates flags
  • Flags are banned

image.png.654ccabc2926a39aca0d0aa21c70ac5d.png

Wonder what reaction this chap would get...

Just now, maelzoid said:

image.png.654ccabc2926a39aca0d0aa21c70ac5d.png

Wonder what reaction this chap would get...

I don’t encourage violence, and I don’t mind opposing views and dissenting voices to encourage dialogue and justify peoples opinions.

But I’d happily give him a punch in the face 👍

4 hours ago, SighMo said:

The screen quality was phenomenal this year

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

I don’t encourage violence, and I don’t mind opposing views and dissenting voices to encourage dialogue and justify peoples opinions.

But I’d happily give him a punch in the face 👍

Emphasising the fist in pacifist. 

On 6/28/2022 at 9:35 AM, Cheesey said:

Yeah, the atmosphere was crap back in the days when there weren't hundreds of flags obscuring everyone's view

This is still my favourite Glasto memory. No flags, no one holding up their phones, everyone just enjoying the moment. Perfect. 

Edited by Troop Dogg

10 hours ago, SighMo said:

Nah, it’s because it looks cool on telly. Easy to get wide shots with those cameras on extended arms. 

Didn't see much of those extended arms on the pyramid this year, I think they cannot move them out over the audience because of the flags. Certainly the arms were there at the Other.

Anyone who says removing them would detract from the atmosphere needs to go to another stage! Flags are only an issue at the pyramid. They're present elsewhere, sure, but not to the extent that they block the view.

21 hours ago, joe_bee said:

Just before the Olivia Rodrigo gig, I watched security moving through the Other Stage crowd with a big pile of pre-manufactured, purple flags with various versions of "O.R." on them..

During Sam Fender to the left of the field there were lots of different black and white flags. Some stripes, some quarters, some others. We weren’t sure if they were for him (Newcastle colours), or to do with Billie Eilish. They all looked the same shape and size and were new and just appeared then dispersed around.

if this is a new “guerilla marketing” thing then I can see flags getting banned or monitored in some way.

we loved this years flags in general 🙂

Always loved and defended the flags and they're super useful for meeting points, but there has to be a breaking point and I feel this years festival was very near it. Macca was incredible but I barely saw the stage for flags, and then they often appeared on the camera on the screens. Also watched the entirety of Jack White behind a cartoon Frankenstein's monster face flag.

1 hour ago, FrancisH said:

Always loved and defended the flags and they're super useful for meeting points, but there has to be a breaking point and I feel this years festival was very near it. Macca was incredible but I barely saw the stage for flags, and then they often appeared on the camera on the screens. Also watched the entirety of Jack White behind a cartoon Frankenstein's monster face flag.

What are you on about - it's been diabolical for actually being able to see the stage and the artist you came to see for years.

Some of the posts on this thread are like a new twist on the emperor's new clothes fable - people reluctant to call it out for how it is because it's glastonbury and 'special'

Edited by kerplunk

1 hour ago, Neville Street said:

During Sam Fender to the left of the field there were lots of different black and white flags. Some stripes, some quarters, some others. We weren’t sure if they were for him (Newcastle colours), or to do with Billie Eilish. They all looked the same shape and size and were new and just appeared then dispersed around.

if this is a new “guerilla marketing” thing then I can see flags getting banned or monitored in some way.

we loved this years flags in general 🙂

Some mates of mine went and saw them being handed out just before Sam Fender's set.

Noticed them on the BBC coverage yesterday - I'm not sure I saw them anywhere at the actual festival!

Edited by LinvoyPrimus

One of Olivia Rodrigo’s team walked the crowd with security before she started handing out about 15-20 big purple flags on poles with different variations of her name/logo on… for some artists the sea of flags is part and parcel of the experience?