Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

I don't think you could ever really ban them, too hard to police and they are part of what makes glasto, glasto.

The festival could 'ask' that people don't bring them into the front pits of the Pyramid and Other Staves, would make the view down the field better for thousands of people and then millions at homs

7 minutes ago, lukemack said:

I don't think you could ever really ban them, too hard to police and they are part of what makes glasto, glasto.

The festival could 'ask' that people don't bring them into the front pits of the Pyramid and Other Staves, would make the view down the field better for thousands of people and then millions at homs

If they were banned across the site it'd be pretty easy to police. Banning just in front of stages would be trickier.

42 minutes ago, Helsbels said:

I love the flags at Glasto. They are definitely a big part of the atmosphere. If O can't see the stage I watch on the screen. No biggie

Yeah, the atmosphere was crap back in the days when there weren't hundreds of flags obscuring everyone's view

• Upvote 1

Yes, I think it's time to ban flags from the pit.

When they started, there was some novelty and they did look good, but every year there are more and more and it is now to the point where essentially there is a curtain across the stage for all but those down the very front. As you go up the hill, you look down on the stage and so cannot look under the flags.

I don't come to an event to watch screens. I want to feel like I have seen the artist with my own eyes, even if they are far away.

At this point it has also become a bit of a tiresome cliche. No one will ever top the Ainsley flag so why bother any more? Let's all just move on from it.

I don't know about policing it, but if they asked people to not wave flags when the acts are on, that would certainly reduce it, and in time it would die out.

Not sure how anyone can say this this creates an atmosphere,  it is only a recent thing in Glastonbury history and it is getting worse than ever.  it is just pointless and horrible. Plus if you have more than one flag on a pole you are an awful human being and shouldn't be allowed to be around others.

I do have an alien on a flag pole that I use but it is small and I am always quite far back and always put it down when all of the group are near

flags.jpg

Edited by Bennykill

1 minute ago, Bennykill said:

Not sure how anyone can say this this creates an atmosphere,  it is only a recent thing in Glastonbury history and it is getting worse than ever.  it is just pointless and horrible. Plus if you have more than one flag on a pole you are an awful human being and shouldn't be allowed to be around others.

I do have an alien on a flag pole that I use but it is small and I am always quite far back and always put it down when all of the group are near

flags.jpg

That really is ridiculous. I thought they only blocked the view of the stage from further back, but it actually looks even worse from this position.

18 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Looked a notable increase in Union Jack flags and Royal Family memorabilia at the main stages this year. Grim. 

The only Royal Family one i saw was a pic of Prince Andrew and the words "it was just an average shooting weekend" on it. 

This was the first year it annoyed me, yes it looks very atmospheric but they totally blocked the view of the screens during the busier gigs, especially Macca.  TheBBC can’t be happy. Halfway down the pyramid field and I only got intermittent views of him. Sorry ,but the flag bearers need to realise they are spoiling the experience for the thousands standing towards the back. 

2 hours ago, lukemack said:

I don’t remember there being anywhere near this amount of flags when I was going 20+ years ago. It would seem that there’s a correlation between the amount of flags and the rise of social media. 

Just before the Olivia Rodrigo gig, I watched security moving through the Other Stage crowd with a big pile of pre-manufactured, purple flags with various versions of "O.R." on them.

I commented before Pet Shop Boys that I was extremely surprised by (and not a little sceptical) of the "Lest we Forget" poppy flag being flown near the huge Ukrainian flag.  Seriously, I don't object to the sentiment but who would want to fly that at the World's greatest party?

It seems the marketers, brands and political parties have got hold of the idea they can put whatever flags they want in front of a huge TV audience.  That for me is what puts me off the flags the most.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Daily Mail logo flag flying at some point soon.

Flags should definitely be banned in the pit areas in front of stages - that’s quite manageable, couple of stewards either side of the pen entrances and signs up as well telling people. Flags further away are fine (6ft 2, thanks for asking 😊

22 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

I don’t remember there being anywhere near this amount of flags when I was going 20+ years ago. It would seem that there’s a correlation between the amount of flags and the rise of social media. 

The number and size of flags started to increase significantly year on year around 2005. In the early 2000's it was pretty much just the Wolves flag and a few small signs. Before that, almost nothing.

Here's a shot of the crowd at Paul McCartney in 2004

Screenshot_20220628-124856.thumb.png.2605c44d163bac4acb40735c55627f28.png

Massive flag w*nker here, and Im sure I annoy more people at gigs by my height (6’4”) then my flag, though I accept it’s time to put some restrictions on them. Some of them were ridiculous- the giant Union Jack with yellow (Leeds?) was bad, but the triple with a Softcat flag at the bottom was probably the biggest offender.

I’d propose 3’x2’ (most flags at Glastonbury are currently 5’x3’) with none in front of the crash barriers at El Pointo or t’other. That way you still get to find your people, but should hopefully annoy a lot fewer people.

• Upvote 1

6014D465-A835-4037-AC8B-626580CFD0DF.thumb.png.d2ca2ad3b90b254118f13dad0c24104e.png

Enjoy a good flag myself. This men with Ven one my favourite this year.

But they should be either funny or perhaps showing that your group is from a far flung place or some little village or whatever, then it tells whatever other small number of people from that place to come and say hello - which we’ve done in the past, going and chatting to those with flags of obscure places our group has connections to. Quite cool imo

Agree that it was grim to see a proliferation of union Jacks/jubilee and engerland flags this year though.

Was joking that it wouldn’t surprise me if at this rate we saw a margaret Thatcher flag or a big russia flag one year

Edited by mattiloy

1 hour ago, PassingCloud said:

Don’t like ‘em. Some funny ones but a lot are clearly in-jokes that 50,000 other couldn’t give a flying fuck about. Please put your flag up for a few mins and then put it away. 

Flags down as soon as the gig starts as a compromise?  Especially those ones that arnt on the very long poles, there’s more of them than ever . It spoils the tv coverage, the festival must be aware of the problems it causes for thousands of punters towards the rear of the fields, unable to see the screens