Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

This was my view for Sam Fender just by the sound desk. Years ago I was stood next to Emily Eavis and her husband at the Pyramid and they were having a conversation about how beautiful all the flags looked. And it did, as you look out into the field, problem is very very few people have that view as they are looking towards the stage not away from it. If you take a flag you are selfish whatever your justification.IMG20220624201930.thumb.jpg.959e39b496b2515aac6acd9c469a9153.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Skoo said:

That acoustic guitar was in the crowd for Turnstile too, at one point the singer crowd surfed and grabbed it for a bit, legend. 

I have zero beef with the flags. 

He was also at Idles plus somewhere else I forget!

19 minutes ago, LetsGoToMars said:

For Macca we managed to get right near the front, in front of the safety barrier, so no issues with flags. Instead we had some dickhead who brought an acoustic guitar and waved it around for the whole gig.

20220625_233543.jpg

At least that is music related, there was someone with a giant tennis racket, wtf.

I can see a day when they won’t be allowed in the front section as at both Macca and PSB they were struggling to get footage for the screens that didn’t have flags in the way. If the BBC can’t get good footage they may apply pressure for them to be removed. 

I personally think that all country and football flags should be banned and only funny or entertaining ones should be allowed. If you are going to spoil my view at least entertain me. 

44 minutes ago, Scotdy said:

This was my view for Sam Fender just by the sound desk. Years ago I was stood next to Emily Eavis and her husband at the Pyramid and they were having a conversation about how beautiful all the flags looked. And it did, as you look out into the field, problem is very very few people have that view as they are looking towards the stage not away from it. If you take a flag you are selfish whatever your justification.IMG20220624201930.thumb.jpg.959e39b496b2515aac6acd9c469a9153.jpg

Ive never really cared about the flags but that one with 4 flags on one pole instantly made me angry. Fuck off with that.

• Upvote 2

Flags was  def an issue this time even moreso. Yesterday morning at Just Mustard it was nice and peaceful until the George Ezra news came out and the flags followed. I get annoyed to hell with one single flag or totem at  Coachella and theyre not allowed at all cause ya know, people need to see. People get creative and find ways to get something small but nothing insane. 

Did anyone see the extremely large Ukraine flag? Saw it at a few stages over the weekend and must’ve been at least 4 times the size of a normal flag, completely blocked out the view of the stage on its own for me in some instances 

16 minutes ago, amb said:

Did anyone see the extremely large Ukraine flag? Saw it at a few stages over the weekend and must’ve been at least 4 times the size of a normal flag, completely blocked out the view of the stage on its own for me in some instances 

That blocked a camera at Macca, don't think the BBC will be delighted with that. 

18 minutes ago, amb said:

This one? 🙂 That was my view for Diana Ross. I am still pro flags and ideally would limit them somehow.. like height or size, but implementing this does not seem realistic so it’s either ban or allow all. 😞 

DC805DF7-EFE5-4D51-91D9-E2218CCE82E5.png

Absolutely loath selfish flag holders. Couldn't see the screens or stage because of them. Wouldn't care if they were up between bands so people can find people but once the music starts, please put the bloody things down and stop wanting to be spotted on TV. I pay good money to watch the bands not look at utterly shit flags. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Poorside.2 said:

That blocked a camera at Macca, don't think the BBC will be delighted with that. 

I thought that about five years ago when it started to become an issue. We've seen the BBC attempt numerous ways around it, including the massive cherry picker crane they used one year for wide shots, but nothing has ever worked great. I can't believe at this point they've not had that conversation with the festival so the festival must have refused to budge.

I don't come down on one side or other of the debate: they do block views, and they do look cool. How much one versus the others matters to anyone is down to the individual (and often their height). But I realised how little of a clue the flag wavers must have when someone had one with a big photo of their friend and an "in memoriam" message on it. It's a lovely idea, but if you had any concept at all how much the flags wound some people up, it's something you would never do. The idea that someone might be looking at a big photo of my dead mate and getting pissed off at it would properly chill me.

At Macca even the camera from the sound stage couldn't get line of site. They kept switching back to the one on the crane at the rear and that was shaky. That just left the few in the immendiate vicinity of the stage. Not sure what was broadcast so will be interesting to see but if it did have an impact on the live transmission there may be a reaction.