Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

Isn't part of why we love Glastonbury that there's *nowhere* like Glastonbury? And the flags are a massive part of the festival and, essentially, no other. Long May they continue. As for regulating how close they go, I don't want any 'unnecessary' regulations in Paradise. 

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

Isn't part of why we love Glastonbury that there's *nowhere* like Glastonbury? And the flags are a massive part of the festival and, essentially, no other. Long May they continue. As for regulating how close they go, I don't want any 'unnecessary' regulations in Paradise. 

Ben

There was nowhere like Glastonbury well before things started getting silly with flags in the late 00s, the proliferation is still a relatively recent thing - and still, for the most part, confined to the televised stages, especially the 3 most widely televised.

No, not a massive part of the festival - just a massive part of the TV coverage.

1 minute ago, incident said:

There was nowhere like Glastonbury well before things started getting silly with flags in the late 00s, the proliferation is still a relatively recent thing - and still, for the most part, confined to the televised stages, especially the 3 most widely televised.

No, not a massive part of the festival - just a massive part of the TV coverage.

I guess it's a matter of personal perspective. They're a big part of the overall 'otherness' of Glastonbury compared to any other festival I've ever been to, is all.

Ben

4 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Yeah, peace and love and all that, but when you're in the pit they can be a bloody pain.

Look good on the telly though.

image.thumb.png.ae6fda12e9db0bd3145d3e6421dbf8cf.png

There’s only 3 flags in that shot, yet you’ve successfully managed to find the one spot where all 3 are in the way

I've been 5 times, never had a problem with flags for any set on any of the main stages. In many of these shots of stages, the flags are blocking perhaps one fiftieth of the stage.

If all you want from a gig at Glasto is to be able to view the lead singer 100% of the time, unobstructed by anything (including flags, tall people, the sound stage, trees, people sat on shoulders, the outer speakers, people taking photos and videos, flares, a low diving swallow, bouncing inflatable balls, confetti, laser shows), then you need to lower your expectations or move to a position where none of those things are taking place.

Flags, as long as they are on long poles don’t bother me. They add to the spectacle, but don’t talk to me about groups of folk standing in front of me chatting loudly and taking no interest in who is currently on the stage, preferring to discuss mortgage rates and the best ISA to invest in. And that really happened to us in a packed park field so we couldn’t move, and why the fuck should we anyway? 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Flags, as long as they are on long poles don’t bother me. They add to the spectacle, but don’t talk to me about groups of folk standing in front of me chatting loudly and taking no interest in who is currently on the stage, preferring to discuss mortgage rates and the best ISA to invest in. And that really happened to us in a packed park field so we couldn’t move, and why the fuck should we anyway? 

Agreed. It's horrendous festival behaviour. I tried to listen to Regina Spektor in 2009 on the Pyramid and there were people waiting for N.E.R.D just talking over the piano and didn't give a damn about the atmosphere or the beauty of the performance. It's just plain rude. Move to the side and talk about how much you would love to fuck Pharrell and then come back in an hour.

24 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

At Tame Impala last time round I was annoyed by a young, posh chap from that London, who was talking loudly about property prices and how wealthy his friends were (based on their parents homes).  I kept moving and he just reappeared, constantly no matter how far I moved and then carried on the same conversation whilst repeatedly backing into me with the large backpack he was wearing and seeming to never notice.  I must have moved about 6 times during the gig, and every time, 2 minutes later...there he was again, loudly declaiming that Tara must be worth a fair bit going on the size of her parents garden.

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

At Tame Impala last time round I was annoyed by a young, posh chap from that London, who was talking loudly about property prices and how wealthy his friends were (based on their parents homes).  I kept moving and he just reappeared, constantly no matter how far I moved and then carried on the same conversation whilst repeatedly backing into me with the large backpack he was wearing and seeming to never notice.  I must have moved about 6 times during the gig, and every time, 2 minutes later...there he was again, loudly declaiming that Tara must be worth a fair bit going on the size of her parents garden.

They sound like Windinglake Farm folk… I done a shift on the pedestrian crossing to that place and I’m sure I met Tara and Tarquin! 😂

48 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

If all you want from a gig at Glasto is to be able to view the lead singer 100% of the time, unobstructed by anything (including flags, tall people, the sound stage, trees, people sat on shoulders, the outer speakers, people taking photos and videos, flares, a low diving swallow, bouncing inflatable balls, confetti, laser shows), then you need to lower your expectations or move to a position where none of those things are taking place.

Ha! I never said ban the flags. And I certainly ain't moving from the prime spot. I was just being a bit curmudgeonly. 

16 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Ha! I never said ban the flags. And I certainly ain't moving from the prime spot. I was just being a bit curmudgeonly. 

It's all good, sorry my post wasn't aimed at you or anyone specifically really, just throwing in my two cents on the flag debate. Went into the thread a bit tipsy/blind 😛

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I take comfort that I’m not the only one to get annoyed by this. It does seem to be folk who only go to the festival as it’s all part of their bucket list. At Biffy on the pyramid when Simon was screaming Biffy Fucking Clyro, some hooray Henry waiting to see Ed Sheeran said to his group, my goodness that’s awful language,  it sounds like they are Scottish!  The look on this w*nkers face when I shouted Gaun yirsel Biffy was priceless. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zico martin said:

As our teenage 'kids' are with us this year i thought taking a flag for the first time was a good way of finding us after they've been off to watch some radio 1 pop nonsense! Is 3 little words really what people use these days instead?

What 3 Words is good - will allow you to navigate to a 3m x 3m square in a packed field, however, it relies on your phone being charged and having data. 

I've got one of the handheld extendable flag poles which will go in my bag, and get popped up when we're trying to meet someone. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extendable-Steel-Handheld-Telescopic-Portable/dp/B01LLA5JPS/ref=asc_df_B01LLA5JPS/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256142088868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17292385751644940137&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045000&hvtargid=pla-420698596759&psc=1