Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

On 3/14/2022 at 1:28 PM, gfa said:

I meant for when your in the middle of the pyramid/other crowd during busy acts. Bar entrances usually do for me when it comes to finding people outside the crowd or whatever

Get a big long bit of string. The person going to the toilet holds one end, the person staying in the crowd holds the other. Ez game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

I like the people 30 paces away from a tree who tell their friend on a phone 'I'm near the tree'. Must be thousands of people in that circumference area alone lmao.

I'm next to the a really tall bloke with a ruck sack on.... 

Personally never found it hard finding everyone after a piss.. 

Only time that happened was at a RHCP gig in London where I got so annoyed I gave up and went to the disabled platform and boogied with them till the end.. 

4 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Took the bad language down.. Ti's the cider 

It's odd that I can drink oceans of G & T's, and do do that very same thing, but not get mental pissed. Then just about 3 pints of real ale gets me very merry. I'd quite like to get to the stage where I can drink a gallon of the stuff without shitting myself! Then, once the 8th pint has gone down, it will be 'TIME'. Time to call everyone a c**t! 

2 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

I'm next to the a really tall bloke with a ruck sack on.... 

Personally never found it hard finding everyone after a piss.. 

Only time that happened was at a RHCP gig in London where I got so annoyed I gave up and went to the disabled platform and boogied with them till the end.. 

If I have to leave my girlfriend in a massive crowd, I can always find her straight away, maybe cuz I have an innate sense of direction, maybe cuz she's got orange hair. If I can't find a mate after 5 minutes, I see that as fate and get on with my day. Lost a mate when he went for a wazz during the opening act once. Didn't see him again until the headliner, when he showed up wearing another person's coat. Both of us likely had a better festival for not being together.

15 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

If I have to leave my girlfriend in a massive crowd, I can always find her straight away, maybe cuz I have an innate sense of direction, maybe cuz she's got orange hair. If I can't find a mate after 5 minutes, I see that as fate and get on with my day. Lost a mate when he went for a wazz during the opening act once. Didn't see him again until the headliner, when he showed up wearing another person's coat. Both of us likely had a better festival for not being together.

If I lose the wife I literally walk around shouting 

WIFFFFFFE 

I get so strange looks but it's lovely when Mrs freak all 5foot of her suddenly turns up and says 

Yes husband.. Hears your drink lol 

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2022 at 1:23 PM, stuie said:

Depends if you want Glastonbury to become the same as 'most festivals'.

Most festivals have an arena and a campsite.  Most festivals have stage sponsorship.   Most festivals don't let you walk around drinking your own booze for 5 days. 

Most festivals aren't as good. 

Went to every Glastonbury from 1994 to 2016 and back this year after failing in the last two ballots, and agree completely. The excessive flags ruin the Pyramid stage for me. Apart from that there's very little I'd change and we're very lucky to have the festival. But the flags at the Pyramid mean most of the thousands of people in attendance can't see the stage. 

Noooo I Love the flags, they're an iconic part of the pyramid stage!! I never take one (can't be bothered to carry it around all day) but they're great fun to read! If you're back behind the flags then it's not like you can't see much anyway, don't know what the problem is...

If you don't like being behind them then march to the front like I do!! 🤣🤘🏼

5 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Noooo I Love the flags, they're an iconic part of the pyramid stage!! I never take one (can't be bothered to carry it around all day) but they're great fun to read! If you're back behind the flags then it's not like you can't see much anyway, don't know what the problem is...

If you don't like being behind them then march to the front like I do!! 🤣🤘🏼

Couldn’t agree more the pyramid without flags is like curry without rice 

• Like 1

Honestly I think the reality is that most people outside of these forums don’t mind a good flag and I am with them. There’s etiquette to adhere to in my opinion including 1 flag per pole but their addition to the atmosphere and assistance in locating friends cannot be disputed. 

Just now, Leyrulion said:

Flags aren't the problem, I'm actually more worried about an increase in smoke flares. They seem more prevalent at football matches this season and I really hope that isn't a trend that carries over. 

THIS! 2019 there were enough at lots of stages. I expect this to be worse this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DTichborne said:

But the flags at the Pyramid mean most of the thousands of people in attendance can't see the stage

I mean come on, I’ve stood in a wide variety of positions in that field and whilst you might not see what sort of shoes macca has on this is an overreaction no?

I always appreciated the flags to help you find your mates and understand why large groups of friends have them for that reason.  But I'm going to be very interested this year to see to what extent What Three Words works as a substitute and eliminates the need for flags.  I imagine I might be less tolerant of flags if their main purpose is no longer as valid and they are simply there for the sake of it.

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

New screens?

It looks like bigger screens will be installed at the Pyramid this year. The supports are larger and seem to point towards that. Its been due for an upgrade for a while since the current ones have been the same For 10 years.

As much as flags have a place at the festival I think you do need big screens to let people in the back see. But even moreso you need good sound. If I cant hear it in the back much less see, why bother. I left The Jacksons in 2017 cause it sounded like shite and could see perfectly fine.

Still wouldnt mind if there was some regulation about how deep flags can go near the stages. Why would I try ti get close just for somebody to be holding their damn pole in front of me.

Edited by Suprefan