Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

On 3/9/2022 at 1:56 PM, incident said:

It's difficult to say exactly what it brings in because of how it's structured at Glastonbury -

The actual Hospitality tickets have a fixed price, which is usually set at approximately twice as much as a General Sale ticket - so they'll be paying ~570 quid each this year. I'm pretty certain there's no higher tier than that. The only things that a Hospitality Ticket really gets you (above a General ticket) is access to the Hospitality campsite (which is just a campsite with a few perks) and the Interstage area/bar (which anyone can blag into easily).

Where the money can become crazy is if someone adds Glamping type options - some of which are available to the Public, some of which aren't, and some of which aren't directly sold at all.

Of course at that level, who's paying for what becomes blurred anyway - Singer X might be given a prime location yurt, top tier accommodation for "free", but it could be that the Festival is trying to court them for next year. Or maybe it's paid for but by their record company / PR agency to try and get some positive press coverage.

Two of my friends ended up with those in 2005 (cost about £250) then again in 2013 (about £420) through the same 'contact'

They camped with us in general camping though as they didn't want to be separated from everyone else, I think in 2013 they had a 'guest parking' area to park the car which was a lot closer than were we were parked, but apart from that and the interchange bar there wasn't much difference apart from the fact that they paid more than we did to get in.

7 minutes ago, LostHorizon said:

If it wasn't for the flags, I'd be spending a lot more time on my own at Glasto.

I don't bring one myself but I've countless "this is where we are vs. this flag" photos in my phone. Life saver. God speed flag bearers 

Too many times at other festivals its near impossible to find people unless you leave the crowd, definitely something important to consider before wanting to bin them off.

Although at the same time, some of the best nights i've had at festivals i've been completely separated from all/most of the group. I think we can all agree (not been yet but i'm pretty certain of it) you can have a great time at Glastonbury on your own

15 minutes ago, gfa said:

Too many times at other festivals its near impossible to find people unless you leave the crowd, definitely something important to consider before wanting to bin them off.

Although at the same time, some of the best nights i've had at festivals i've been completely separated from all/most of the group. I think we can all agree (not been yet but i'm pretty certain of it) you can have a great time at Glastonbury on your own

The solution to this is surely some carefully placed 'permanent' flags by the festival around the field.

People can still use these to navigate and find people but you can watch the gig without a sea of 'I love Sausages' or Wolverhampton Wanderers getting in the way to show their friends where they were stood on TV. 

Edited by strummer77
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, strummer77 said:

The solution to this is surely some carefully places 'permanent' flags by the festival around the field. People can still use these to navigate and find people but you can watch the gig without a sea of 'I love Susages' or Wolverhampton Wanderers getting in the way. 

There used to be a lot more wooden meeting type points i think … think the pyramid field had sort of wooden structures in each corner … plus ice cream vans which I presume have gone to aid crowd control … 

29 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

The solution to this is surely some carefully placed 'permanent' flags by the festival around the field.

People can still use these to navigate and find people but you can watch the gig without a sea of 'I love Sausages' or Wolverhampton Wanderers getting in the way to show their friends where they were stood on TV. 

I meant for when your in the middle of the pyramid/other crowd during busy acts. Bar entrances usually do for me when it comes to finding people outside the crowd or whatever

Its always funny when you're stood on the outer edges of the bigger fields or near a landmark and seeing lots of people on their phones waving their hands in the air or shouting what flag they're near.

Schoolboy errors really.  The easiest thing to to do is pick a stall that's in that field and meet outside it...away from the main crowds and easily identifiable and doesn't move!

10 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Its always funny when you're stood on the outer edges of the bigger fields or near a landmark and seeing lots of people on their phones waving their hands in the air or shouting what flag they're near.

Schoolboy errors really.  The easiest thing to to do is pick a stall that's in that field and meet outside it...away from the main crowds and easily identifiable and doesn't move!

Takes the fun out of it though 

I like it when lots of random people wave back adding to the confusion 

Edited by fred quimby

6 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Takes the fun out of it though 

I like it when lots of random people wave back adding to the confusion 

And doing that stupid bird thing with their hand 

On 3/14/2022 at 1:28 PM, gfa said:

I meant for when your in the middle of the pyramid/other crowd during busy acts. Bar entrances usually do for me when it comes to finding people outside the crowd or whatever

That's what I meant though. The festival could put some high flags throughout the Pyramid field that you could use to navigate to find people in the main stage crowds. They would solve that without leading to a sea at the front obstructing everyone's view. Also they won't suddenly wander off if they get bored mid-set.

• Upvote 1