Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

Flags dont really block the view. I;ve never really had my glastonbury experience spoiled by a big flag. But dont get me started on big hats....!!!

Also, on the chair front, theyre alright in the daytime. We all want a bit of a sunshine sit down watching the 2022 equivalent of Loyle Carner or Jungle. But they really shouldnt be allowed for the last two acts of the night. Theyre lethal when its dark. I mean, no one takes a camping chair to the Brixton Academy do they? 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Pyramid field etiquette

Flags add to the atmosphere and spectacle as long as they are on long enough poles, folding camp chairs are ok as long as they are not near the front or used to mark out a huge space when a main act is on. Picnic rugs are fine but not when the field is rammed, same goes for those bloody inflatable loungers that have appeared over the last few festivals. 
sneaking out a steaming piss on a field is totally unacceptable, if you can’t hold it, don’t stray too far from the longdrops.
And pick up litter and cans, causes all sorts of problems leaving the field in the dark. 

Amen brother.

As with all things, it can generally be summed up as "don't be a c**t"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

You do have to wonder what goes through the minds of the camping chair people late at night. Possibly 'nothing'. They may have camping chairs because they knew beforehand that they were going to render themselves very much in need of a camping chair, at that moment in time. The reason being that getting back to their tent might just be a bridge too far!" Just a thought.

I don't understand (as in not a fucking clue) the people that have decided to put blankets down in busy times on the floor at the Pyramid Stage. They have decided to sit down (and probably get down) and are surrounded by crowds. The people sitting on the ground seem to be blissfully unaware that the crowd that they are within is putting pressure on that gap being filled buy standing people. Those immediately around them are taking the hit while those fucking w*nkers just sit there.

On top of the above, is the fact that when trying to get a load of mates into, or out of a crowd, that this bubble of delight (the sitting on the ground people) presents itself as an unnecessary challenge. Getting around their 'camp' is doable, but is a bastard to achieve. And you've got to do it,. You have no choice. Well, that's how you feel on one side, and on another at a deeper level (under cover) you would clearly like to just wade straight through their camp. And now your rolling because now you are thinking of going back through the camp saying sorry but just back there, where we went to after traversing your camp- well there's a big wall and sign saying 'What are your self imposed conditionings'? Go back to your tents to ponder this. Go back to your tents now! Tell everyone'. And on that note you disappear into the crowd. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I don't understand (as in not a fucking clue) the people that have decided to put blankets down in busy times on the floor at the Pyramid Stage

The only time we've done it was right at the very back (in line with the tree) in 2019, we got there before years & years at about 1:30 but by the time Kylie started at 3:45 it was noticeably busier so we rolled them up and stood up. 

There were others around us who didn't and they were no doubt dickheads. We were probably those dickheads to someone else before we realised how busy it had become. 

• Upvote 1

Things have changed since 2013 

But I never go down to the front.. Its OK imo right at the moment back where the families have their room for kids etc but it's not great when the area becomes thier pyramid field camp for the whole day. 

As we're all the way back we just sit by our tents.. Easy life.. 

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

There were others around us who didn't and they were no doubt dickheads. We were probably those dickheads to someone else before we realised how busy it had become. 

Yes, but what else do they need to make it clear to them more than they can't see a thing and are totally surrounded by people trying not to go into 'their' space. I mean it must be frightening sitting down not being able to see anything but human legs all around you. And you've had a smoke of military grade grass too. And then you realise it - you have become the little people. You can't see anything but a sea of human legs when viewing the horizontal. If they creak their necks they can look up and see a tube of light from the sky above, Will I survive, they'll think. Good job I made that extra sandwich, they'll think. What's this? What's this? Is that a Twix bar that they see in front of them? 

I could go on, but better not.

2 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Things have changed since 2013 

But I never go down to the front.. Its OK imo right at the moment back where the families have their room for kids etc but it's not great when the area becomes thier pyramid field camp for the whole day. 

As we're all the way back we just sit by our tents.. Easy life.. 

I hate being in a crowd. I mean what do all them c**ts want, anyway? What on earth has driven them to actually surround me. And in a not so intimate manner. I shall have to take off vertically.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I do actually enjoy watching people who have camped out in chairs reasonably far down on the pyramid field thinking nothing of it, and then watching them fight on until the bitter end as the field gets busier and busier around them.

ha!

I thought it was just me who enjoyed this! 🙂 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Memory Man said:

Its not in the spirit of the festival but i do feel like they need some rules or guidance on what is and is not acceptable crowd behaviour when it comes to chairs and blankets in the pyramid field and when this is ok and when its not. And how far forward they are acceptable.

Agreed, for what its worth I think its getting worse and worse at all festivals not just Glastonbury.

I mean if its spacious during the day then fine, whatever...but when it starts to get busy and its dark then its not fair on other people having to manovure around big groups with chairs etc.

I recall one year someone came past us during a headline set (forget which) and the group in front of us had about 7 chairs in a row with bags/blankets and then were all stood in front of the chairs as they were dancing (badly) to whoever was on.

This guy didn't see the dark blue/black chairs and thought nothing was there as the people were stood 2ft in front of them and walked straight into the chairs and four pints of cider went flying into the air and he went onto the floor.  Of course the chair people had a go and we backed him up and said that it was their fault.  In fairness they did then fold them away, but the poor guy had to go back to the bar soaked in cider and pay out for another four pints!

18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I do actually enjoy watching people who have camped out in chairs reasonably far down on the pyramid field thinking nothing of it, and then watching them fight on until the bitter end as the field gets busier and busier around them.

Yes, then they fall asleep in what was a near empty field only to awake under a seething mass of humanity and  Idles playing.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, then they fall asleep in what was a near empty field only to awake under a seething mass of humanity and  Idles playing.

Or in the case of one guy I saw, got into the field after Kasabian to get himself a spot for Springsteen and sat down to wait.

He was still asleep in the chair when the crowd dispersed after Bruce finished. Amazing effort.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Its not in the spirit of the festival but i do feel like they need some rules or guidance on what is and is not acceptable crowd behaviour when it comes to chairs and blankets in the pyramid field and when this is ok and when its not. And how far forward they are acceptable.

It's a thought. But the me me me crowd will just ignore any polite requests. See gazebos at campsites, don't pee on the land, leave no litter, etc, etc...

On 3/6/2022 at 10:30 PM, Suprefan said:

Likely the easiest solution is no flags past a certain point. Cant have any in the front pit at Other or Pyramid so that you can clearly see the stage and the cameras arent trying to avoid them at all costs to get a shot for tele. 

I mean that improves it for people past a certain point. But still messes things up for people at the back - as people have mentioned, you can't see screens etc.

On 3/7/2022 at 12:00 PM, the wonderwhy said:

Yeah people act like if they just don't move you're gonna stop and go away or something. In reality you're just gonna barge past them even harder. Bafflingly stupid. 

I dunno, that's one approach but I find it weird then when one person's violence gets thrown back and them and it's that point they come moan about it on efests!

On 3/7/2022 at 2:36 PM, MrZigster said:

Huge areas now properly fenced off, inevitably containing just a camper van and a couple of tents (looking at you the bottom of Pennards/lots of spots along The Railway Line). Who are these people? What are they doing? Why is what they're doing deemed worthy of so much personal camping space?

Paying tens of thousands of pounds for VIP tickets hence keeping ticket prices down for the rest of us. 

3 hours ago, Memory Man said:

While I agree I wonder if there's genuine concerns about being caught out with disability discrimination on that one.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Or in the case of one guy I saw, got into the field after Kasabian to get himself a spot for Springsteen and sat down to wait.

He was still asleep in the chair when the crowd dispersed after Bruce finished. Amazing effort.

From what I heard it was pretty dull, can't blame him really.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

From what I heard it was pretty dull, can't blame him really.

Thoroughly enjoyed it myself.

What it is with you and telling people how bad sets were when they actually enjoyed them anyway? 😉