Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

Also think the front section should have one side that's the entrance and one that's the exit and be manned by stewards (who could also prevent people taking flags into that bit). Before I went to Glasto I used to go to T in The Park. Glastonbury is better in every other way, but when it comes to managing entry to front barriers T in the Park was actually much better. Glastonbury it's just a mad crush as everyone tries to leave and enter at same time through same bit. Whereas T in the Park did it like I described, one side is the entrance, one is the exit and stewards enforce it. 

This is really smart not heard of this.

Reading have added turnstyles on either side for the front part of the crowd in 2019 i think it was. Works fairly well, turnstyles lock once full and then theres a side exit so people can leave really easily once the act finishes so they dont have to go through the turnstyles again where everyone is waiting to come in. Less of a problem with the new 2 main stages now to be honest as people aren't really waiting as much between acts but it worked well in 2019

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Had both of them when I was in Ireland last month. It was a grand time. 

you can also get both in sainsburys. 

I saw a packet of said crisps at my mom's house recently. I had thought that one of my brothers must have bought it here in the UK I had no idea that Sainsbury's sold both items. Thanks for the tip off, but I doubt I'll be buying either. I don't really eat crisps any longer, and know that I don't like Cidona anymore.

Yeah fuck the insecure, over inflated egos of people who ruin the view for thousands behind them just because they want to be seen on the telly. Which they almost inevitably won't be. Their flag probably will. But their fizzog probably won't.

I do think peak flag was hit in 2009 though. Left Bruce Springsteen as I literally could not even see the screens there were that many of the fuckers. I'll be majorly pissed off it that happens for McCartney.

Someone posted that Fun Lovin' Criminals video from 1994(?) recently. Hardly any flags at all back then and the crowd was better for it.

And chairs. And blankets. And it's always worse for these on the Sunday isn't it? I couldn't move position during Paul Simon that time without having to walk over some privileged c**ts 10ft by 10ft bit of carpet. No Tarquin. You and your two mates don't actually need that much room for just yourselves.

BST at Hyde Park was appalling for this the last time I went. Clear, "No chairs or blankets beyond this point", notices everywhere just ignored by selfish pricks. Some people had even bought tents and windbreaks ffs.

Acoustic stage has had a no chairs beyond this point policy for at least a couple of years haven't they?

Add people who rope off their campsite to this list as well. Land grabbing fuckers. As bad as Putin.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Pro flag to the extent I actually carry one. Never done it for TV (rarely close enough to the front tbh) but for making sure our group can find each other.

Being annoyed with chairs and blankets is a totally different debate. If Hyde Park proves anything it’s that banning flags won’t solve that issue. 

Do I annoy people behind me? Probably- but I’m 6’4” so have been pissing off people behind me at gigs for a very long time. It’s on a 6m pole so should be out of most sightlines. 

To the other debate, not enough places do Salt and Pepper crisps. Think Kettle do but can’t think of any others.

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

And chairs. And blankets. And it's always worse for these on the Sunday isn't it? I couldn't move position during Paul Simon that time without having to walk over some privileged c**ts 10ft by 10ft bit of carpet. No Tarquin. You and your two mates don't actually need that much room for just yourselves.

To be fair nearly everyone who as at that Paul Simon set needed a lie down after a while...

The flags can be a pain in the ass but they are part of glasto love or hate them. 

I think certain flags should be burnt or confiscated though... like I love football but football flags at a music festival... fuck off. Save that for the match. 

• Upvote 1

When did the chairs start to really become an issue?

I can't recall them at festivals much before 2003 and perhaps over the next couple of years they started to become a feature at main stages.

At Beautiful Days last year they were a real pain, trying to get to the bar and having to weave in and out of massive rows of chairs/blankets etc was very irritating.

20 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

When did the chairs start to really become an issue?

I can't recall them at festivals much before 2003 and perhaps over the next couple of years they started to become a feature at main stages.

At Beautiful Days last year they were a real pain, trying to get to the bar and having to weave in and out of massive rows of chairs/blankets etc was very irritating.

No they weren't.. My chairs were fine thank you lolol... 

When you get to a certain age and all that bollox.. 

1 hour ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Pro flag to the extent I actually carry one. Never done it for TV (rarely close enough to the front tbh) but for making sure our group can find each other.

Being annoyed with chairs and blankets is a totally different debate. If Hyde Park proves anything it’s that banning flags won’t solve that issue. 

Do I annoy people behind me? Probably- but I’m 6’4” so have been pissing off people behind me at gigs for a very long time. It’s on a 6m pole so should be out of most sightlines. 

To the other debate, not enough places do Salt and Pepper crisps. Think Kettle do but can’t think of any others.

Nuts