Discovered acts from the line up you’ve never heard before

kalifire

5 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Discovered Holly Homberstone by listening to the spotify playlist new to me but will listen to more now 

Holly is brilliant - well worth listening more.  Checkout Vanilla, Overkill and Falling Asleep at the Wheel - heard them back in 2020 and became a fan, and she hasn't missed since.  2 eps so far and no filler at all.  She is one of my must sees

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Edit: Replaced with original, forgot how much Beyoncé remix is just Beyoncé:

You’ve probably heard it but her verses on WAP are lit, eats Cardi up

Then the biggest bop is probs Hot Girl Summer 

honestly she’s got a deep back catalogue given she’s only been round a few years. So much in there.

So that's where the phrase 'hot girl summer' comes from

22 minutes ago, gfa said:

It predated the song i think by a good few years

This is wrong as far as I know? The phrase was always associated with Meg and only predates the song by like a few months in 2019.

There’s articles on it nd shit.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hot-girl-summer

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/7/12/20690515/hot-girl-summer-meme-define-explained

So you’re back on @Florian Saucer Attack

Edited by MaxPower

6 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

This is wrong as far as I know? The phrase was always associated with Meg and only predates the song by like a few months in 2019.

There’s articles on it nd shit.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hot-girl-summer

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/7/12/20690515/hot-girl-summer-meme-define-explained

So you’re back on @Florian Saucer Attack

hmmm perhaps I will see her after all. I will await GFA's rebuttal before I make my final decision 

1 hour ago, Splonk said:

Sampa the Great

I was thinking I hadn't discovered anyone from the poster drop on Friday but Sampa is someone I hadn't listened to before she was on the 2020 poster so that technically counts.

Hoping I can manage to see her. If she brings this sort of energy, she'll steal the weekend.

7 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Does anyone actually like Years & Years? Feels like a waste of a slot...

Their music is very mid, lots of songs that sound exactly the same.

But I like Olly and the band has become lovely and political in recent years. I think they are a harmless booking tbh. If Sunday El pointo rumours are correct I’m unlikely to be anywhere near the other stage anyway.

12 hours ago, whitehorses said:

My main discovery is that I like Doja Cat and Sam Fender far more than I did a week ago! Will probably go to both (usual caveats blah blah) 

And Turnstile. 

Well hopefully Turnstile makes everyone do this cause its the only way to do the show right. Gotta keep it hardcore.

• Like 2

I love this time of yeat pre festival when the first poster comes out and its Spotify time! There are 10 acts that i knew that i might be seeing but after going through the list A to Z I've really only found five others i'd be tempted by.  Not really a fan of the girly teenage stuff, you'll have to excuse my 60y old self.

Amyl and the sniffers ( great name ), really enjoy this, a throw back, and shes mad, would be fun to watch. 

Celeste - really enjoying her although probably not being at night and in a moody setting might not be the same unless very late on Avalon or something.

Easy Life - really like these, imagine afternoon set on JP.

Gabriels - really intrigued, amazing voice, very Anthony and the Johnsons, not much out there to go by to fill and hour, wouëd be interesting. 

Leon Bridges - Another grest voice. Hes gone R&B soul man these days judging from his latest stuff but i really enjoyed his Sam cooke reincarnation from a few years ago.

Special mention to Arlo Parks whose album is up there in the top 5 I've heard all year and is playing vertially non stop at the moment. Subtle reminders of Lily Allen.

Like everyone I made myself a playlist of stuff I like and one each of ones I don’t know. New discoveries I want to hear more of are Caroline Polachek, Snarky Puppy, Girl In Red, Turnstile, Gabriel’s.

Also re-acquainted with Yves Tumour. Really liked Safe In The Hands Of Love and saw them at APE around that time then kind of forgot about them but they’re great. 

Polachek is getting pushed a lot recently. It’s interesting as she’s not exactly new, most of her tunes that people know came out a few years ago now.

She must have a massive album coming up for her to get this much attention. Interesting to see how it pans out.

12 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Emma-Jean Thackray is great, I'm delighted for her that she's placed on the first poster. Should make the best of the lunchtime WH slot.

Polachek should have a major 2022. She's making a kind of slinky digital pop that's earworm central, pitched somewhere between Grimes and Carly Rae, plus the live shows are visually rich and immersive. Banking that Pitchfork will give her next album a Best New Music 9.0+ — all the signs pointing that way, it's been brewing.

Definitely one to catch. Check these out for starters:

Definitely. That song of hers they named SOTY 2021 was a ridiculous choice.