Discovered acts from the line up you’ve never heard before

kalifire

Every time the line up comes out, I look at it, shake my head, and lament my age. Usually, I haven’t heard of a good third of the acts on the initial poster, and many of the smaller stage announcements might as well be in Welsh. 

So this is a thread to celebrate acts you’ve discovered simply by their appearance on the poster, stage posters, full line up etc. - the thread equivalent of ‘hey, you should really check this out!’ 

I’ll start. Angelique Kidjo. An artist with such a rich history I’m actually embarrassed to admit she’s entirely new to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I always try to give every act on the poster I don’t know at least one or two songs to try and judge what they’re about.

Who knows? I might be joining Matt down the front for Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion.

Tell me this ain’t catchy 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Every time the line up comes out, I look at it, shake my head, and lament my age. Usually, I haven’t heard of a good third of the acts on the initial poster, and many of the smaller stage announcements might as well be in Welsh. 

So this is a thread to celebrate acts you’ve discovered simply by their appearance on the poster, stage posters, full line up etc. - the thread equivalent of ‘hey, you should really check this out!’ 

I’ll start. Angelique Kidjo. An artist with such a rich history I’m actually embarrassed to admit she’s entirely new to me.

Same boat Kali. Started working through the poster yesterday, thought "this Angelique Kidjo must be some new kid on the block I've never heard of."

Quick wikipedia check. Oopsie 😄

24 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I've been impressed with Emma-Jean Thackray. Anyone cool enough to appreciate Jazz should check her out  

Like the sound of that. Was expecting a bland singer songwriter with that name, so pleasantly surprised!

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Thank god modern hip hop isn’t arsed about this gatekeeping nonsense

It's more about diluting a genre until it fits a brand. Doja is far from the first and won't be the last (even on this bill) but the notion that hip hop is a linear line of musical genre from the greats to the likes of Megan is laughable.

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It's more about diluting a genre until it fits a brand. Doja is far from the first and won't be the last (even on this bill) but the notion that hip hop is a linear line of musical genre from the greats to the likes of Megan is laughable.

Idk man. When you take less of an fundamentalist approach to music I find you enjoy it better.

28 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Do you mean by this; hip hop you think is not substantial should not be considered real hip hop?

Edited by Florian Saucer Attack

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

This was kinda Tupac tbf. He was corny, admit it.

Rap is obviously bigger than ever but honestly the 'fun' hip hop is the best stuff currently. There are some proper maudlin, miserable rappers making waves right now.

Then there's Megan, who has the wit of Eminem in his prime. Proper catch-you-off-guard one-liners in there. Really fun and listenable stuff.

Doja is quality too, but in a laid back Kendrick kinda way. She gets lumbered with some generic beats sometimes but she has enough personality to keep you entertained.

Confident both will rock it at Glastonbury. Free your mind dude, and your ass will follow.

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Um, Meg is absolutely class - this is an insane take. 

Doja is slightly more Pop/R&B so I kind of get that? But Meg is absolutely a genre descendent of 90s hiphop great, albeit with a southern bent (see also: Outkast).

Was Lil Kim a joke to you? Unsure how you couldn’t see the “linear line” between Lil Kim and Meg 

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

What’s MTS’ big one then? As someone who has never listened to anything of hers what’s the track I should check out?

Edit: Replaced with original, forgot how much Beyoncé remix is just Beyoncé:

You’ve probably heard it but her verses on WAP are lit, eats Cardi up

Then the biggest bop is probs Hot Girl Summer 

honestly she’s got a deep back catalogue given she’s only been round a few years. So much in there.

Edited by MaxPower