Must Do's

Deaco85

Good evening, I’ve just come off a stag and am off my tree (I’ve had a mare and am leaving early after 10 hours drinking, so write this on the district line to avoid this paying people pretending to be homeless) 

My first Glastonbury I wasted the first day being a bit cautious.

Just don’t plan anything mate, just go with it.. it can seem so overwhelming if you go in with the intention of achieving something. Having said that, research is your friend..

If there’s something you like the sound or look of, try and go those first two days. If not, wander around and if you hear something that sounds appealing just go with it, had so many good spontaneous nights just in a random tent or bar because they were playing something my flavour. 

I’m big on my indie, 90’s rap & R&B, general cheese and have found ‘T bar’ (as my group call it) opposite to Williams green and the brothers bar at west holts on a Thursday to satisfy our general needs as we start our descent into chaos. 

Everyone will have a different ‘thing’ though and it takes a few festivals to really feel like you’ve nailed it: and even now I’ve probably got it wrong! Good luck!

• Like 1

If you find yourself at a loose end 'music wise', go to the Theatre and Circus field. You might not think that's your thing, but I guarantee you'll see something that'll make your jaw drop or make you laugh your ass off. Some people never visit those fields - they're missing out on a massive part of the festival.

4 hours ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Good evening, I’ve just come off a stag and am off my tree (I’ve had a mare and am leaving early after 10 hours drinking, so write this on the district line to avoid this paying people pretending to be homeless) 

My first Glastonbury I wasted the first day being a bit cautious.

Just don’t plan anything mate, just go with it.. it can seem so overwhelming if you go in with the intention of achieving something. Having said that, research is your friend..

If there’s something you like the sound or look of, try and go those first two days. If not, wander around and if you hear something that sounds appealing just go with it, had so many good spontaneous nights just in a random tent or bar because they were playing something my flavour. 

I’m big on my indie, 90’s rap & R&B, general cheese and have found ‘T bar’ (as my group call it) opposite to Williams green and the brothers bar at west holts on a Thursday to satisfy our general needs as we start our descent into chaos. 

Everyone will have a different ‘thing’ though and it takes a few festivals to really feel like you’ve nailed it: and even now I’ve probably got it wrong! Good luck!

I wonder if its ever possible to nail Glastonbury, i've been 10 times and every time i've had the feeling that i could have done more or should have seen this and that. Its very easy to put a lot of pressure on yourself to have the perfect festival, its just not possible, certainly not to plan it in advance, its been said a million times before but going with the flow really is the best way, having some places you want to go and things you want to see should be on a list of course, but that list should be small.

I'd never really spent much time in the SE corner so last time went Wednesday and Friday night - don't remember too much about it to be honest but glad I tried to put the SE corner to bed.

Whatever you do, you'll read on here in July about many things you've missed - the Glasto insanity starts there!

5 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

If you find yourself at a loose end 'music wise', go to the Theatre and Circus field. You might not think that's your thing, but I guarantee you'll see something that'll make your jaw drop or make you laugh your ass off. Some people never visit those fields - they're missing out on a massive part of the festival.

Wandering about on my own, I saw “The Elvis Dead” at 1 am in the cabaret tent last fest. Incredibly good fun 🙂

• Upvote 1

There are so many must do’s but they’re different for everyone and these change every year, it really is shifting sands.

My only advice is if you’re enjoying what you’re doing don’t worry about what you’re missing.

And come back again and again and try new things.

6 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

I wonder if its ever possible to nail Glastonbury, i've been 10 times and every time i've had the feeling that i could have done more or should have seen this and that. Its very easy to put a lot of pressure on yourself to have the perfect festival, its just not possible, certainly not to plan it in advance, its been said a million times before but going with the flow really is the best way, having some places you want to go and things you want to see should be on a list of course, but that list should be small.

I'd never really spent much time in the SE corner so last time went Wednesday and Friday night - don't remember too much about it to be honest but glad I tried to put the SE corner to bed.

Whatever you do, you'll read on here in July about many things you've missed - the Glasto insanity starts there!

I think you could do the same Glastonbury 100 times and still do it completely differently each time, and still have an incredible time with every single one.

I remember after my first Glastonbury being really miserable going out to normal places afterwards, there was this magical place that only existed for 5 days, yet you couldn’t possibly scratch the surface of it in that time.

It would be great to be stuck in some sort of Groundhog Day scenario where you could repeat the weekend a few times.

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think you could do the same Glastonbury 100 times and still do it completely differently each time, and still have an incredible time with every single one.

I remember after my first Glastonbury being really miserable going out to normal places afterwards, there was this magical place that only existed for 5 days, yet you couldn’t possibly scratch the surface of it in that time.

It would be great to be stuck in some sort of Groundhog Day scenario where you could repeat the weekend a few times.

I've had these thoughts many times. No better place to have a Groundhog Day

Use Weds and Thursday to explore and discover new and updated old areas. Eg. Glastonbury on Sea, Pangea, Cinerarmageddon, The Woods, ICON 

dont overdo it on day 1 

Don’t worry about trying to see everything. If you are tired stop and rest - the circus tent is good respite from the sun and fun; people watch, chat to strangers, try something new- hula hooping in the dark, salsa dancing, see Mik Artistik, watch a group on the bandstand, visit the Avalon cafe, have a late night drink at the Tiny Tea Tent. 

There's a less flashy version of the ribbon tower in the Theatre Field, close to pedestrian gate C. Never a queue and it allows for really good photos of the Park and the sign. I actually prefer it to the views from the ribbon tower, mainly because you can get the Ribbon Tower in the shot.