Who’s Playing What Day?

Somto Unigwe Raphael

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Has he got a lot of buzz behind him? Maybe on here but I haven’t heard anyone mention him outside of this forum.

Because he’s literally only been announced two festivals and nothing else, so outside of people paying attention to festivals what reason would people have to talk about him? His return isn’t like Fleetwood Mac deciding to up and tour again, granted, but he’s still a big act who will be right back on peoples radars once he decides to tour again properly and releases new material. 

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Has he got a lot of buzz behind him? Maybe on here but I haven’t heard anyone mention him outside of this forum.

As in he has booked to headline TRNSMT and Victorious, plus has sold out a pretty big venue in Bristol. As you say that's all off the back of effectively 0 promo

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

As in he has booked to headline TRNSMT and Victorious, plus has sold out a pretty big venue in Bristol. As you say that's all off the back of effectively 0 promo

Saw lots moaning about the Belfast presale the other day (no idea if that’s a factor in this convo)

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Because he’s literally only been announced two festivals and nothing else, so outside of people paying attention to festivals what reason would people have to talk about him? His return isn’t like Fleetwood Mac deciding to up and tour again, granted, but he’s still a big act who will be right back on peoples radars once he decides to tour again properly and releases new material. 

That’s not quite true. He has announced a night in Belfast in August which sold out (edited: In minuted apparently!).

he’s also supporting Liam at Knebworth, and is playing in Italy in July.

Edited by MaxPower
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

TRSMT is his stomping ground and I am not saying he can’t sell Victorious or Bristol, Belgium etc. I’m just saying I don’t think this is anything to suggest he’s got a huge army of people waiting to gobble up his next release. I don’t think because he subbed the other stage in 2014 we now have to consider him in line for an even bigger slot in 2022 and onwards. Not every act needs to take a bigger slot every time they play, especially not those who have been dormant for 8 years.

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

TRSMT is his stomping ground and I am not saying he can’t sell Victorious or Bristol, Belgium etc. I’m just saying I don’t think this is anything to suggest he’s got a huge army of people waiting to gobble up his next release. I don’t think because he subbed the other stage in 2014 we now have to consider him in line for an even bigger slot in 2022 and onwards. Not every act needs to take a bigger slot every time they play, especially not those who have been dormant for 8 years.

The evidence suggest otherwise that there are a lot of people out buying tickets to see him

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

A lot of people seemed annoyed he was only on the Friday of Knebworth (although its the LG crowd so they are a bit scared of newer music!)

Edited by gfa

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

TRSMT is his stomping ground and I am not saying he can’t sell Victorious or Bristol, Belgium etc. I’m just saying I don’t think this is anything to suggest he’s got a huge army of people waiting to gobble up his next release. I

They won’t be sat by their phones waiting an announcement because they’ll be busy with other stuff, but they’re out there. I think the mistake you often make Matt is thinking that people only listen to one artist at a time. The people who buy Lewis Capaldi records are the same who buy George Ezra records and will in turn buy whatever Paolo Nutini has coming. They don’t just pick one act and one act only.

There’s a silent majority out there that doesn’t really talk about it hype up acts, certainly not by the metrics you use at any rate. The sort who are silent when the act is quiet, but as soon as the acts break cover they’ll be there. Nutini’s sales suggest this is the case for him.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

They won’t be sat by their phones waiting an announcement because they’ll be busy with other stuff, but they’re out there. I think the mistake you often make Matt is thinking that people only listen to one artist at a time. The people who buy Lewis Capaldi records are the same who buy George Ezra records and will in turn buy whatever Paolo Nutini has coming. They don’t just pick one act and one act only.

There’s a silent majority out there that doesn’t really talk about it hype up acts, certainly not by the metrics you use at any rate. The sort who are silent when the act is quiet, but as soon as the acts break cover they’ll be there. Nutini’s sales suggest this is the case for him.

yeah I’ve not thought about Paolo in years until he was linked to Glasto but I’d be first in line to buy tickets to a show. Know loads around mid 20s who are the same. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yeah I’m not saying he doesn’t have fans I just think it’s a stretch to say he’s in a similar position to where he was in 2014. I’m guilty of this too because 2014 doesn’t feel that long ago, but I don’t think we can judge positions off where people were eight years ago, that’s all I’m saying.  I think the festival scene has changed massively even from 2013. I also think we are soon hitting a time where acts who were big in the late 00s/early 10s don’t have the same pull as they did back then. 

Even in 2014 he was riding a high with caustic love and was lowballed with an other sub slot. I just don’t think there’s a precedent for him getting big slots at the festival. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I’m not saying he doesn’t have fans I just think it’s a stretch to say he’s in a similar position to where he was in 2014. I’m guilty of this too because 2014 doesn’t feel that long ago, but I don’t think we can judge positions off where people were eight years ago, that’s all I’m saying.  I think the festival scene has changed massively even from 2013. I also think we are soon hitting a time where acts who were big in the late 00s/early 10s don’t have the same pull as they did back then. 

Even in 2014 he was riding a high with caustic love and was lowballed with an other sub slot. I just don’t think there’s a precedent for him getting big slots at the festival. 

Again, just look at the other festival slots he has picked up this summer

I know you can say TRNSMT doesn’t tell us much about where Nutini will play but it’s his day (Friday) that is sold out-both Friday and Friday/Saturday tickets. Tickets are still available for Capaldi Sunday (and Strokes Saturday).

Edited by MEGABOWL
Typo

13 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I know you can say TRNSMT doesn’t tell us much about where Nutini will play but it’s his day (Friday) that is sold out-both Friday and Friday/Saturday tickets. I let’s are still available for Capaldi Sunday (and Strokes Saturday).

23 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I think a lot of artists are putting things like this, and i don't think it necessarily means they're playing twice, think they're just filling the gaps on their tour dates. As much as he could be playing with Khruangbin Friday he could be playing with The Avalanches on Saturday.

Edited by Acid_Haze

10 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

I think a lot of artists are putting things like this, and i don't think it necessarily means they're playing twice, think they're just filling the gaps on their tour dates. As much as he could be playing with Khruangbin Friday he could be playing with The Avalanches on Saturday.

The only 2 I’ve seen do this is Leon Bridges and Phoebe Bridgers.  It really wouldn’t surprise me if both are playing both days 

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

I know you can say TRNSMT doesn’t tell us much about where Nutini will play but it’s his day (Friday) that is sold out-both Friday and Friday/Saturday tickets. Tickets are still available for Capaldi Sunday (and Strokes Saturday).

In all fairness it was his only announced date for about 4 months and he hasn't toured for almost 10 years.

The victorious slot alone shows he's going to be getting a fair slot, sub other maybe before foals?

Leon Bridges won‘t be playing two full sets, that would mean playing seven days in a row which seems unlikely. I suppose he could pop up with Khruangbin on Friday and then a full set on Saturday though. I’m not sure what day seems more likely for him, Friday makes sense as a day off with three gigs either side but London > London > Brighton > Glastonbury might make more sense as a run, with a day off before going to Ireland and Scotland.

On 4/9/2022 at 5:48 PM, FloorFiller said:

If Matt’s info is correct on Megan being fourth down the Pyramid on the Saturday then I’m gonna stick with my inkling of Paolo being a ‘special guest’ kind of deal on Other like Liam Gallagher was in 2017. I’m gonna assume he doesn’t have any new material to perform/promote so an hour of the hits in a slot like that would be a good way for him to play the festival before getting a bigger slot in a couple of years when he eventually does have new stuff to play. 

A secret JP slot could work too as well, although at this moment in time he perhaps doesn’t seem quite big enough for that considering the acts they’ve been getting to do that shit in recent years. 

He’s got a new album coming, his glasto set will be to push that