Who’s Playing What Day?

Somto Unigwe Raphael

43 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

And I do think that AM's popularity has dwindled with the younger 18-25 crowd.

Not at all. They are the most requested act at Reading in the comments year after year - still hugely popular.

The Killers are about as big as it gets to be honest, can't see it being much worse than that. Only thing that could make it bad is that AM have been difficult to see recently, they hardly toured their last album (everywhere sold out etc) whereas The Killers are always about so people might jump at the chance to see AM more.

There's been a lot of chat on here in the past that secret sets don't work as well these days as so many people find out about them on social media, etc.

When do they typically get leaked on social media? Is it during the festival for example? Or does it become obvious much earlier than that?

8 minutes ago, northernringo said:

There's been a lot of chat on here in the past that secret sets don't work as well these days as so many people find out about them on social media, etc.

When do they typically get leaked on social media? Is it during the festival for example? Or does it become obvious much earlier than that?

I thought were specific things set up to leak them during the festival? 

17 minutes ago, northernringo said:

There's a secret glasto twitter account AFAIK, but I wasn't sure if the secret sets became widespread knowledge a fair bit before that

Depends on the set, some feel like they're known weeks before the festival, others come out over the weekend but we (at least the people paying attention to eFests) I think tend to have a good idea before the festival starts.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

When was the last genuinely secret set from a reasonably big name, no leaks beforehand? Must have to go back a fair way.

Pretty sure nobody had a clue about Thom and Jonny in 2010. Massive surprise that one. Not sure if there have been any big ones since that have gone un-leaked beforehand but maybe there’s something I’m forgetting.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

AF at the Park would be absolutely insane. If there’s any sniff of that happening come the festival then count me in. 

Absobloodylutely. 

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

There was someone the other day saying they'd heard it was Arctic Monkeys on the Park, did anything else come from that? Arcade Fire would be the best result here and not too unrealistic either.

I can’t see that happening for safety reasons. Would be worse than Radiohead!  

41 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Depends on the set, some feel like they're known weeks before the festival, others come out over the weekend but we (at least the people paying attention to eFests) I think tend to have a good idea before the festival starts.

The thing is, it always looks like we knew in hindsight, because you can usually point to someone dropping the information - but in reality it often doesn't get corroborated until the weekend.  I remember not being sure who was playing JPT whilst being at the festival and I can log into the @SecretGlasto twitter account.  People were saying it was the Killers, but people were also saying it was Arcade Fire.  It was a very open secret by the time it happened, but was far from certain when the gates opened.

I've known lots of people be "sure" about secret sets that never happened.

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Absobloodylutely. 

I can’t see that happening for safety reasons. Would be worse than Radiohead!  

All I remember from the Radiohead secret set up the Park was how shite the sound was - I was gutted as was my first time seeing them.

1 hour ago, northernringo said:

There's a secret glasto twitter account AFAIK, but I wasn't sure if the secret sets became widespread knowledge a fair bit before that

I'd say it's roughly 50/50 tweets that are sent out on the day based on a thread on here, and the rest are info that come up during the festival.  What do you think the ratio is, @mr flow

11 minutes ago, s30foster said:

All I remember from the Radiohead secret set up the Park was how shite the sound was - I was gutted as was my first time seeing them.

And mud. 

Lots of mud.

Being pushed by the crowd while my boots were firmly stuck in the ground!

17 minutes ago, s30foster said:

You didn't miss much. Dreadful.

Pulps sounds up there was shite too. Its too small for crowds that big which is why they stopped it.

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The thing is, it always looks like we knew in hindsight, because you can usually point to someone dropping the information - but in reality it often doesn't get corroborated until the weekend.  I remember not being sure who was playing JPT whilst being at the festival and I can log into the @SecretGlasto twitter account.  People were saying it was the Killers, but people were also saying it was Arcade Fire.  It was a very open secret by the time it happened, but was far from certain when the gates opened.

Oh I thought it was either The Killers or Gorillaz

14 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Just been sent this 

2BA9CA83-92F4-48C6-A929-F4C195635E87.png

I'm calling BS.

If you zoom in on the image you can see dots the whole way down except for the two messages (and an inconsistent area beside the two messages).

Open the image in a new tab, increase the zoom to around 400X and turn up your brightness and you'll see what I mean.

image.png

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, that's an excellent point. See also Daft Punk playing The Park.