Initial poster thoughts! (come on, everyone loves a poll..)

Freddyflintstonree

Initial poster thoughts! (come on, everyone loves a poll..)  

375 members have voted

1. 1. First impression of the line up?

• Unbelievably good
    • Great
    • It's OK
    • A bit disappointed
    • Crap

Okay for me - lots I've seen before and much of that I've seen before... at Glastonbury. That seems to be the case more and more recently though (plus it's possible I'm getting old)!

It's the Dennis Irwin of Glastonbury line-ups: a solid but unshowy 7/10.

• Upvote 1

A mixed bag for me, I don't know anything about "new music" so there are probably some huge acts listed that I have never come across. For stuff like Confidence Man I think it depends on where they are playing. I also think I saw TLC in there, which seems very exciting! Enough for me to see without being worried about multiple clashes by the look of it - a few more bits to tickle my fancy and I'd upgrade from OK to Great .

3 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Does it matter?  It's great for me but after a 3 year enforced break and 5 years since my last festival I'd be happy with Liberace, Richard Clayderman and The Wurzels headlining. 

The fields are calling..... 🌞

Liberace would be a massive coup tbf 🤣

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Could some of the fallers still make the start line ? 

I reckon this is highly likely, still lots to be announced, e.g. The Manics are active this summer, on the 2020 poster but not 2022.

Also Fatboy Slim is a lock to be there regardless.

My initial reaction was abject disappointment then I remembered that I'm volunteering with Oxfam for the first time since 2005 so I'm not going to be too upset if I miss out on loads of favourite acts. The absence of Aerosmith really stands out for me even more than Taylor Swift because they have booked most of the big name female acts in the business.

Plenty enough to satisfy me, but not a stellar lineup (for me). 

It's just tastes, mine haven't changed much for 20 odd years and there's probably lots of really good acts in the lineup, but I'm just not up to date.

I'm not interested in the likes of Billie, Lamar & Simz and more in the metal/rock/indie camp.

Never been to Glasto based on the lineup and have plenty of acts on the list to try out. Already found a few new ones!

Great First Poster.

the only thing I am not digging is Kendrick on the Sunday , he is great puts on a great show, I just wanted him on Saturday or Friday . Macca would have been great closing . that's my opinion and what do I know. I don't book festivals for a living. overall though it is a great first poster.

No Taylor and no Dua stop it from being unbelievably good for me, but there are loads of acts I’d love to see, many who I probably wouldn’t see outside of the festival. 

What is unbelievably good is the value. When you consider the calibre of artists present, and how much they charge, and remind yourself that you’re paying less than a hundred quid a day (not counting Wed/Thurs), it’s genuinely quite stunning. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Great for me. Plenty there to keep me happy, I was thinking back to 2016 when there were 5 or 6 acts I had any interest in. Grim times. 

One of my mates has text me and said..

He has 3 acta he wants to see from the poster. The rest he doesn't care about. He thinks is a poor initial line up, but doesn't care.

The caveat is - there are a few acts he's seen a bunch, which is why he isnt bothered about them.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Okay for me - lots I've seen before and much of that I've seen before... at Glastonbury. That seems to be the case more and more recently though (plus it's possible I'm getting old)!

He's pretty much my favourite footballer of all time as is Glastonbury my favourite festival so good choice there. 

2 hours ago, Homer said:

See it's pretty much the other way for me, there's actually relatively little on there that I've seen before. Had a count up and not even into double figures. 

So now I’ve had some time to digest (I’ve gone for a walk, cleaned my flat, and listened to a bit of music) I’m going to give some more casual thoughts on the lineup. I was at an extreme high earlier which took forever to ease off… mainly because I think this Glasto lineup packs an unusually strong punch… way more than previous years. Let me explain why!

To me this lineup is impressive because it shows that Glastonbury still is king. In the past five or so years we’ve seen new kinds of festivals become popular. Your Rolling Loud, two headliner a day, big bucks and big budget events come through to compete with Glastonbury. These festivals compete by booking acts who Glastonbury wouldn’t go for in the past (your big US pop acts and emerging pop talent). We wouldn’t expect Doja, Billie, Megan, Olivia, Kendrick, (Taylor) to forgo a higher fee to play Glasto.

It’s almost as if with this lineup Emily is saying “woah woah woah hold on… we are still the biggest in the game... Don’t you forget it!”. Or simply, what you do we can do better!

This gives me extreme faith in the future of the festival and probably locks me in for another decade at least. The people who are running this event know exactly what they are doing. Glastonbury doesn’t want you to forget that it CAN compete with your Coachella, Rolling Loud, R&L, BST’s and Desert Trip whatever’s that probably chuck a mortgage and a half at their lineup to secure it. I reckon a modern R&L attendee would look at this and salivate. Not sure I could say that for the first few years I was going (2013/2014 etc).

The future of the festival is in the most capable of hands. The legacy of the festival is being future proofed infront of our eyes. The incoming generations will look up to it like previous generations did before them. It’s an actual blessing to have a ticket for this year. Roll on June!!

Sidenote - I will bet a tenner there are a bunch of future headliners in here. We will look back at this year in shock how “on the ball” GFL have been.

Sidenote 2 - I’m doing a Kanye here and returning to edit. But I don’t want to hear anyone repeat the “oh Glasto doesn’t pay so these acts don’t come” rhetoric ever again. We are in a new era guys. Things have changed. 

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So now I’ve had some time to digest (I’ve gone for a walk, cleaned my flat, and listened to a bit of music) I’m going to give some more casual thoughts on the lineup. I was at an extreme high earlier which took forever to ease off… mainly because I think this Glasto lineup packs an unusually strong punch… way more than previous years. Let me explain why!

To me this lineup is impressive because it shows that Glastonbury still is king. In the past five or so years we’ve seen new kinds of festivals become popular. Your Rolling Loud, two headliner a day, big bucks and big budget events come through to compete with Glastonbury. These festivals compete by booking acts who Glastonbury wouldn’t go for in the past (your big US pop acts and emerging pop talent). We wouldn’t expect Doja, Billie, Megan, Olivia, Kendrick, (Taylor) to forgo a higher fee to play Glasto.

It’s almost as if with this lineup Emily is saying “woah woah woah hold on… we are still the biggest in the game... Don’t you forget it!”. Or simply, what you do we can do better!

This gives me extreme faith in the future of the festival and probably locks me in for another decade at least. The people who are running this event know exactly what they are doing. Glastonbury doesn’t want you to forget that it CAN compete with your Coachella, Rolling Loud, R&L, BST’s and Desert Trip whatever’s that probably chuck a mortgage and a half at their lineup to secure it. I reckon a modern R&L attendee would look at this and salivate. Not sure I could say that for the first few years I was going (2013/2014 etc).

The future of the festival is in the most capable of hands. The legacy of the festival is being future proofed infront of our eyes. The incoming generations will look up to it like previous generations did before them. It’s an actual blessing to have a ticket for this year. Roll on June!!

Yes I love that Glastonbury are happily broadening their horizons. To those saying they don't like the line up I always say if you are lucky over the weekend you'll be lucky to see about 20 acts and if you can't find 20 things that you like on a Glastonbury line up then you probably don't really like music. Too many on social media seem stuck in the 90's. I'm really glad the festival isn't. This is definitely a forward looking line up. 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Too many on social media seem stuck in the 90's. I'm really glad the festival isn't. This is definitely a forward looking line up. 

It’s a difficult topic to address and it’s not like the festival is pushing these people out - but I think the one thing I respect the most about Glastonbury is they refuse to go down the same paths that IOW, Download etc have gone down. I think R&L have wised up to this recently too and seen some success - they are back to being as popular with youngsters as they used to be after a few shaky years.

The 90s / 00s had their time but you have to look to the future.