Campervan Field - How Big Can My Tent Be??

Dontthrowstones

Originally posted in Chat but realised my error...

With all the excitement going on this week, I'm gonna take the opportunity to ask a burning question...

How big can our tent be if we are in the campervan field? We have a party of 4 (possibly 5) and 1 campervan pass. Me and my wife will be in the van but our friends (A couple, one of which has never been to a festival before) will be pitching a tent next to the van, due to her anxiety of large crowds and the fact that this will be their first weekend away from their 2yo daughter, we thought it best to make a semi-tranquil area for them if things get too much.

I've seen a post from a few years back but just checking to see if anyone has any recent experience 2018/19?

They have quite a large tent (3.5m hexagonal) and we have a 7.4x2.1m campervan, we'll be in Campervans East.

Any advice on how the stewards will deal with this would be much appreciated.

TIA, I'm sooo excited right now

15 minutes ago, Dontthrowstones said:

Originally posted in Chat but realised my error...

With all the excitement going on this week, I'm gonna take the opportunity to ask a burning question...

How big can our tent be if we are in the campervan field? We have a party of 4 (possibly 5) and 1 campervan pass. Me and my wife will be in the van but our friends (A couple, one of which has never been to a festival before) will be pitching a tent next to the van, due to her anxiety of large crowds and the fact that this will be their first weekend away from their 2yo daughter, we thought it best to make a semi-tranquil area for them if things get too much.

I've seen a post from a few years back but just checking to see if anyone has any recent experience 2018/19?

They have quite a large tent (3.5m hexagonal) and we have a 7.4x2.1m campervan, we'll be in Campervans East.

Any advice on how the stewards will deal with this would be much appreciated.

TIA, I'm sooo excited right now

You should be ok with the tent. We've done similar in the past. Tbh  though I'm more concerned about your friend who suffers from crowd anxiety. Mrs Lycra's sister has this and I've witnessed it first hand. Glasto is definitely not the place for her if it is anything other than a mild anxiety. The crowds are massive across the site and very dense pockets routinely  spring up. Massive/large crowds are very difficult/almost impossible to avoid.

Edited by Lycra
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

You should be ok with the tent. We've done similar in the past. Tbh  though I'm more concerned about your friend who suffers from crowd anxiety. Mrs Lycra's sister has this and I've witnessed it first hand. Glasto is definitely not the place for her if it is anything other than a mild anxiety. The crowds are massive across the site and very dense pockets routine spring up. Massive/large crowds are very difficult/almost impossible to avoid.

Thanks @Lycra, yeah I figured the tent thing will probably be OK after seeing a few photos but I'm just excited and any excuse to chat about it is great right now.

Regarding our friend, I would say it's a mild anxiety but given that the campervan field looks a little less claustrophobic we figured it's def the safest bet. I don't think she'd fair very well in the tent fields at peak times and I think headliners at Pyramid is a no-go but we will see. She's keen to try it out, there's always the healing fields. 

42 minutes ago, Dontthrowstones said:

Thanks @Lycra, yeah I figured the tent thing will probably be OK after seeing a few photos but I'm just excited and any excuse to chat about it is great right now.

Regarding our friend, I would say it's a mild anxiety but given that the campervan field looks a little less claustrophobic we figured it's def the safest bet. I don't think she'd fair very well in the tent fields at peak times and I think headliners at Pyramid is a no-go but we will see. She's keen to try it out, there's always the healing fields. 

Good morning @Dontthrowstones. You will love it, just not sure about your friend. My point about the crowds is that they are everywhere, not just around the Pyramid but at most of the 100+ venues. Then there's the walk-ways where crowds are channeled between stalls as they transition from area to area, or the old railway line which serves as a pedestrian highway. Crowds can be so dense that holding hands is necessary to avoid losing one another. The stewards do a fanastic job in crowd management and at times they have to close areas/routes to avoid crushes. My sister in law was ok in the camping field and on the first 2 days but her anxiety took over on Friday when we encountered a large pedestrian traffic jam near The Glade. Thereafter she spent most of her time back at the tent.

Glasto is a love it or hate it scenario for people; the vast majority being of the former. Over the 6 fests I've attended I've seen 3 individuals in our group pack up and leave because they couldn't hack it.

Edited by Lycra

Thinking more about people leaving Glasto early, it's actually 5 of those I've gone with have done it. One left on the Friday morning couldn't cope with camping, the rain and the mud. Two left on the Saturday hating the whole experience. One was medevaced to hospital with a dislocated hip after a slip. And one left Saturday evening cos she missed her boyfriend 😍

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Thinking more about people leaving Glasto early, it's actually 5 of those I've gone with have done it. One left on the Friday morning couldn't cope with camping, the rain and the mud. Two left on the Saturday hating the whole experience. One was medevaced to hospital with a dislocated hip after a slip. And one left Saturday evening cos she missed her boyfriend 😍

Good lord, what sort of people do you hang around with?!

Missed her boyfriend?! wtf!

Are these people festival novices?!

16 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Good lord, what sort of people do you hang around with?!

Missed her boyfriend?! wtf!

Are these people festival novices?!

Have a hardcore who will tough it out no matter what's throw at us. I'd say the majority of those who left were novice flakey ones who thought it would be a good idea but in reality had no experience of life without a cosy bed & duvet! Recall one year an acquaintance dropped out when she realised there'd be no where to plug her hair dry in!  ffs

3 hours ago, Lycra said:

Good morning @Dontthrowstones. You will love it, just not sure about your friend. My point about the crowds is that they are everywhere, not just around the Pyramid but at most of the 100+ venues. Then there's the walk-ways where crowds are channeled between stalls as they transition from area to area, or the old railway line which serves as a pedestrian highway. Crowds can be so dense that holding hands is necessary to avoid losing one another. The stewards do a fanastic job in crowd management and at times they have to close areas/routes to avoid crushes. My sister in law was ok in the camping field and on the first 2 days but her anxiety took over on Friday when we encountered a large pedestrian traffic jam near The Glade. Thereafter she spent most of her time back at the tent.

Glasto is a love it or hate it scenario for people; the vast majority being of the former. Over the 6 fests I've attended I've seen 3 individuals in our group pack up and leave because they couldn't hack it.

Yeah I'll definitely love it! This will be my 4th Glasto and nth festival. We know what to expect and she's seen the worst-case crowd scenarios, and if it gets too much we'll help her get home safely. Most likely outcome is she will spend a lot more time at camp than we will. Hence the need for that big-ass tent.

23 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Have a hardcore who will tough it out no matter what's throw at us. I'd say the majority of those who left were novice flakey ones who thought it would be a good idea but in reality had no experience of life without a cosy bed & duvet! Recall one year an acquaintance dropped out when she realised there'd be no where to plug her hair dry in!  ffs

There's a little core of us that have been doing various festivals together since 1999....we've seen all sorts of friends from our wider circle come and go, some of which just see Glastonbury on TV as big bands, girls running through fields with daisies in their hair and the reality can be very different especially if the weather goes south.

In 2013 some of our more 'straight laced' friends came with us, and were all booking hair washes on site by the Friday and then never came again!

4 hours ago, Lycra said:

You should be ok with the tent. We've done similar in the past. Tbh  though I'm more concerned about your friend who suffers from crowd anxiety. Mrs Lycra's sister has this and I've witnessed it first hand. Glasto is definitely not the place for her if it is anything other than a mild anxiety. The crowds are massive across the site and very dense pockets routinely  spring up. Massive/large crowds are very difficult/almost impossible to avoid.

True about crowds but there are also plenty of tranquil areas to visit in places like the Healing Fields if you get stressed and just want to sit and chill.  The important thing is to pace your self and not rush.  You don't have to do everything or go everywhere.

13 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

True about crowds but there are also plenty of tranquil areas to visit in places like the Healing Fields if you get stressed and just want to sit and chill.  The important thing is to pace your self and not rush.  You don't have to do everything or go everywhere.

Too true. It's great to sit on the hillside and just drink it all in. We all need to make time for that. It's part of what makes the fest so special.