Car v Coach

Chrisp1986

39 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

15?! Why so long? Does it do additional stops?

I think if there was me I’d be looking at flying from Edinburgh to Bristol! 

There is a stop in London for some ridiculous reason.

However, after a little research your shout makes so much sense. It can actually work out cheaper to fly and there is actually a coach that leaves from Bristol airport.

Only issue I forsee is how to get drink between getting off flight and onto bus? Would this be possible in Bristol airport? Or would it make more sense to go into the centre for this purpose?

Thanks for suggestion, btw

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Do people not bother with camping chairs as much? I split a tent usually so i'll take the 2 chairs and my mate will take the tent. This sounds about right for me although i've got to say a pillow is an absolute game changer - i prefer it to a roll mat honestly.

Its cans honestly that take up all the space, they are great but heavy. We have 4 coach, 2 general so hoping they drive and we can fill the car with cans/chairs etc 🙂

I'm on a coach ticket this year and my mate who's on a GA is taking my beer and camping chair to help me not overload!

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

Do people not bother with camping chairs as much? I split a tent usually so i'll take the 2 chairs and my mate will take the tent. This sounds about right for me although i've got to say a pillow is an absolute game changer - i prefer it to a roll mat honestly.

Its cans honestly that take up all the space, they are great but heavy. We have 4 coach, 2 general so hoping they drive and we can fill the car with cans/chairs etc 🙂

I haven't experienced a wet festival, if it's dry I don't see the point as you can sit and lay down anywhere. If the forecast a couple of days out was wet I'd probably pack a couple extra spares and consider a chair or groundsheet/picnic blanket.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm on a coach ticket this year and my mate who's on a GA is taking my beer and camping chair to help me not overload!

I'm hoping the 2 on GA do this however they seem adamant about driving just 2 of them because of the parking + fuel cost, its almost the same as getting a coach. Hopefully we get our other 2 through on the resale as then the car will be split between 4

Edited by gfa

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

However, after a little research your shout makes so much sense. It can actually work out cheaper to fly and there is actually a coach that leaves from Bristol airport.

Only issue I forsee is how to get drink between getting off flight and onto bus? Would this be possible in Bristol airport? Or would it make more sense to go into the centre for this purpose?

Can you not take advantage of duty free or is that only international flights? 

30 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

no worries, although I think you'd have to pay for hold luggage assuming you're brining a standard rucksack?

40 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

It's not something I'd be inclined to do myself, but some do and report it works fairly well - once you're set up at the Festival, get the shuttle bus which runs hourly from Gate A to Shepton Mallet to stock up as needed. In Shepton, it stops right next to the Tesco and not too far from Aldi.

Don't even need to do it the same day, as the bus runs throughout the weekend.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

0036789F-5448-4190-88B6-241D7C800907.jpeg.2ad79041846e2a0ebd0a62688142347c.jpeg

Posted this on the camping essentials thread .  These chairs  collapse and fit easily into a rucksack and are very light. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

0036789F-5448-4190-88B6-241D7C800907.jpeg.2ad79041846e2a0ebd0a62688142347c.jpeg

Posted this on the camping essentials thread .  These chairs  collapse and fit easily into a rucksack and are very light. 

This type always breaks i find - has it lasted you long?

I took the coach in from Bristol and drove back on the Monday. The walk felt farther on Monday that it mightve on Weds. But I like the idea of getting close to the fest on tuesday and making the trek easier on Weds. Gonna take a coach from Bath on Weds which is easily half the cost of it coming from London. And then taking the train back on Monday which should be nice.

Edited by Suprefan

First ever attempt at trying for coach tickets in this resale  ( having brought them for mates already for this festival ) .... I will probably be cheating though as my back isnt up to carrying stuff ... oh I will be getting on the bus ... its just handy to live quite near ... 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

First ever attempt at trying for coach tickets in this resale  ( having brought them for mates already for this festival ) .... I will probably be cheating though as my back isnt up to carrying stuff ... oh I will be getting on the bus ... its just handy to live quite near ... 

are you saying get on the coach, collect your ticket then go back home for your bag/tent etc ?

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

are you saying get on the coach, collect your ticket then go back home for your bag/tent etc ?

go on the coach  .... car will be parked up already loaded up ... and will hopefully be in the carpark dropped off the night before ... so will take minimal stuff on the coach ... possibly just 1 tent and a small bag 

47 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thanks for that vote of confidence! Haven’t used the bloody things yet😊😊😉.  Just watch out for me collapsing on my arse on the pyramid field. 

Haha sorry! Surely someone else must have used this type before. I’m sure if you get a proper good model its fine but the cheap ones nah

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

go on the coach  .... car will be parked up already loaded up ... and will hopefully be in the carpark dropped off the night before ... so will take minimal stuff on the coach ... possibly just 1 tent and a small bag 

you need a GA ticket to get into the car park though? 

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I don’t think they’ll let you in the car parks without a GA ticket even if you have a car park pass though? 

we might just differ in opinion on this I think ill be good ... we will see , if not ill leave the car somewhere nearby 🙂 .... anyway main challenge is still tickets so thats the first challenge 🙂 

3 hours ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

We normally fly down to Bristol from Inverness. When we arrive in Bristol we either get the airport shuttle in to the bus station or a taxi. There is a Tesco and a sainsbury’s close to the bus station that we use to get our drinks. We then get the national express bus down to gate A. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thanks for that vote of confidence! Haven’t used the bloody things yet😊😊😉.  Just watch out for me collapsing on my arse on the pyramid field. 

The big thing to watch out for with those is if the ground is even vaguely soft then the legs will dig in and you'll end up sinking. May be worth improvising something to act as wider feet.

As for them breaking - just treat them gently. Lower yourself in rather than crashing and it should be ok.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

we might just differ in opinion on this I think ill be good ... we will see , if not ill leave the car somewhere nearby 🙂 .... anyway main challenge is still tickets so thats the first challenge 🙂 

Yeh not gonna argue. All I can say is the east car parks have a check point where they check if you have a GA ticket per person and a car park ticket before you’re allowed to park up.

And like you say main issue is getting tickets first!

8 minutes ago, incident said:

The big thing to watch out for with those is if the ground is even vaguely soft then the legs will dig in and you'll end up sinking. May be worth improvising something to act as wider feet.

As for them breaking - just treat them gently. Lower yourself in rather than crashing and it should be ok.

The expensive versions have a base you can buy but it's £25.

https://www.basecampgear.co.uk/tables-and-chairs-c407/chair-groundsheet-p5836