South Facing Festival 2022

John L

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I really hope there’s someone booked that I want to go see.  The venue is really cool.

Did anyone go last year? What was it like?

We picked up £5 tickets last year for the Corinne Bailey Rae day, although it really wasn't our sort of line-up. It was also a cold, blustery and showery day and capacity seemed as low as 10% by the time CBR headlined. Given that, I'm pleasantly surprised the event has returned.

The bowl is very cool and that helps with the sound quality too. There was just one stage - a temporary one built over the lake in front of the historic stage. There were annoyingly loud DJ sets between the acts to keep people entertained. The site dealt moderately well with the conditions and they laid down matting on the well trodden areas. IIRC, there was a good canned beer selection from bars all around the top rim of the bowl and a few food trucks - although I'd have liked more and more variety. Toilets seemed decent too, although with a sparse crowd that might not be representative.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gregory said:

Thank you, sounds like a fun night. Hope Kamasi does more UK shows 🙂

No probs, yeah same!  Sadly clashes with Boomtown 😞

I do wonder how well it'll sell?  I think the festival's about 15,000 capacity and as much as I love Kamasi Washington and Ezra Collective, I can't see them selling that number of tickets?  

2 minutes ago, WStoner said:

No probs, yeah same!  Sadly clashes with Boomtown 😞

I do wonder how well it'll sell?  I think the festival's about 15,000 capacity and as much as I love Kamasi Washington and Ezra Collective, I can't see them selling that number of tickets?  

I agree, he is pretty niche. Is he performing with Ezra at this show or will he have his usual band/orchestra do you think?

18 minutes ago, gregory said:

I agree, he is pretty niche. Is he performing with Ezra at this show or will he have his usual band/orchestra do you think?

Oh well, we'll see!  Tbh I'd imagine he'll probably play with his usual backing band, especially if the show's one of a bunch of Euro shows?  Would be wild if Thundercat joined the tour on electric bass like he did a few years ago!

They seemed to fill the less-sold shows out last year with last minute discounts and corporate freebies so I think they've probably got the financials sorted enough that they know they can make a decent profit on food and booze.

Most of the artists are at the very end of album/tour cycles so I imagine the booking fees aren't ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...