Coach with 6 month old?

phil2005

Hi everyone,

Tried searching for a similar topic but couldn't find one.

My wife and I have coach tickets from Reading for this year's festival which we've done a number of times before, but as i'm sure is the case for many  of us our circumstances have changed since we got the tickets back in Oct 2019 and we welcomed our first child in January. We're very much hoping to be able to still go and bring him with us, but the complication is being tied to the coach. It would be much easier if we could be flexible and arrive/leave on our terms if things aren't going as we hope etc. plus we're not sure how safe it is taking such a small baby on a coach anyway, plus there's all the additional stuff we would need to bring compared to a normal festival. The festival/Seetickets' official line (we've already contacted them) is to let go of our tickets and try our luck in the resale but obviously there's no guarantee of getting them.

Does anybody have experience of not getting their booked coach and still getting their hands on their ticket? I've heard of it happening before, people being able to collect them from a box office on site or whatever, but not sure if that's something that can be relied on. Does anyone know the official policy? I'm sure they'd never publicly say because then all sorts of people would skip the coach but there must be some contingency. 

We thought that perhaps we could buy a car park ticket and one of us drive down with the baby and all the stuff and the other get the coach. In this scenario would the driver give the one of us both tickets, or are we relying on the generosity of spirit of the driver on the day? If they don't, what happens to the other ticket? Presumably it doesn't just get binned if someone misses the coach?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil

I've heard of uncollected tickets being left at Ped Gate A, but I don't think that's an official line, and its making massive assumptions that the driver on the day will do that for you.

If it was really a big issue to have a car, you could get the coach down then one person gets the train back to Reading to collect the car and then drive onto site.  A fair bit of faff but I suppose it depends how critical you view it is to take your child with you to the festival...I suppose given the babys age staying with family relative for a few days isn't an option?

There are a lot of similar questions flying about on social media because of such a big gap between ticket purchase date and the festival taking place and it seems that the GFL line is to give the ticket up if you can't use it as originally intended. (as you have already found out!)

19 minutes ago, phil2005 said:

Does anybody have experience of not getting their booked coach and still getting their hands on their ticket?

Yep Ive done it. Flights changed so ended up at the festival earlier and met the coach at Gate A and got my tickets. No problems.  

All of you can drive the car down and meet the coach at the gate.

But just remember, because you've taken the car, the extra omissions from that trip will warm the globe. You're killing polar bear cubs basically. 

Edited by The Nal

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm not sure you'll have the option to buy a car park pass when you pay the balance. I'm not sure if you can buy one on the day?

You need a GA ticket not a coach ticket to get a car park pass. 

This is quite a common occurrence in the years since we bought our tickets and there are a lot of lockdown babies that weren’t a factor back in 2019. 

Surely GFL need to come up with a contingency plan. Taking small babies on long coach journeys which don’t have spare seats isn't fair on the child or the other passengers. 

Im pretty sure if you emailed they would allow you to swap the coach ticket as there will be lockdown babies tht were not here when the tickets were originally bought!! 
the same with change of names due to marriages!! 
they put in place adjusting the under 12 ticketless system so no doubt will be flexible for other circumstances! 

Edited by funkychick2007

19 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Im pretty sure if you emailed they would allow you to swap the coach ticket

The OP does say they've already got in touch and they've just been given the official line, which is same as previous years.

It's tricky for the festival, as if they open an "official" channel to change from coach to car, then there will always be a lot of people who could get a coach and have bought the appropriate ticket, but would switch to a car for a variety of reasons.

As for collecting tickets upon arrival, I've certainly read threads about that in previous years, but I don't think that trudging to the gate and waiting in a queue is necessarily that convenient or swift if you've got a baby in tow?

15 minutes ago, clarkete said:

It's tricky for the festival, as if they open an "official" channel to change from coach to car, then there will always be a lot of people who could get a coach and have bought the appropriate ticket, but would switch to a car for a variety of reasons.

I agree, it opens a complete can of worms...and where do you draw the line for future years?

Someone could get through for coach tickets then spin the organisers some made up story to get the tickets switched to GA ones when it comes to paying the balance off.

I know OP is genuine, but there are unfortunately many people who are not and will move heaven and earth to switch their tickets if they can.

9 hours ago, phil2005 said:

Hi everyone,

Tried searching for a similar topic but couldn't find one.

My wife and I have coach tickets from Reading for this year's festival which we've done a number of times before, but as i'm sure is the case for many  of us our circumstances have changed since we got the tickets back in Oct 2019 and we welcomed our first child in January. We're very much hoping to be able to still go and bring him with us, but the complication is being tied to the coach. It would be much easier if we could be flexible and arrive/leave on our terms if things aren't going as we hope etc. plus we're not sure how safe it is taking such a small baby on a coach anyway, plus there's all the additional stuff we would need to bring compared to a normal festival. The festival/Seetickets' official line (we've already contacted them) is to let go of our tickets and try our luck in the resale but obviously there's no guarantee of getting them.

Does anybody have experience of not getting their booked coach and still getting their hands on their ticket? I've heard of it happening before, people being able to collect them from a box office on site or whatever, but not sure if that's something that can be relied on. Does anyone know the official policy? I'm sure they'd never publicly say because then all sorts of people would skip the coach but there must be some contingency. 

We thought that perhaps we could buy a car park ticket and one of us drive down with the baby and all the stuff and the other get the coach. In this scenario would the driver give the one of us both tickets, or are we relying on the generosity of spirit of the driver on the day? If they don't, what happens to the other ticket? Presumably it doesn't just get binned if someone misses the coach?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil

Tricky one for you . I’d be tempted in the first instance to contact see tickets and/or festival office explaining in detail the predicament, the problems coach travel would cause you and the other passengers.  Send supporting evidence such as a copy of the little ones birth certificate.  I know see tickets are totally intransigent with requests for ticket swaps but this year circumstances are exceptional. Problem is they won’t want to set a precedent. Anyway, Best of luck. 

The festival and/or See wont do anything for you. Do you know anyone going who isnt driving who can buy a cark park ticket for you?

Or just risk turning up without a ticket and play dumb. Say you thought you could buy one at the gate. Cant see them turning away a 6 month old baby.

Edited by The Nal

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’ve seen signs heading towards the site on the main road indicating festival parking, (not the official parking, looked like adjacent farms). 

Ashcombe park has camping and parking but dont confuse with Ashcombe Farm caravan club site! You can camp and park car next to tent! Then short walk to main gate D!

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The festival and/or See wont do anything for you. Do you know anyone going who isnt driving who can buy a cark park ticket for you?

Or just risk turning up without a ticket and play dumb. Say you thought you could buy one at the gate. Cant see them turning away a 6 month old baby.

You can buy car park tickets on the gate 

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Not been in my car to the festival since 2017 but I'm 99.9% sure you have to show your festival ticket to even get into the car parks.

I’ve not travelled by car to the festival for a long time but back when I did you needed to buy your parking ticket sticker for your car when you paid your balance. Without that sticker you won’t get into the official festival car parks

1 hour ago, funkychick2007 said:

Ashcombe park has camping and parking but dont confuse with Ashcombe Farm caravan club site! You can camp and park car next to tent! Then short walk to main gate D!

Yes, that’s the one I remember, pass it on the way into pilton from Glastonbury.  There’s always a big sign on a gate saying festival parking. We actually looked at another site called green acres but is a helluva long way out of Pilton. Nice site for a wee holiday some other time.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

You can buy car park tickets on the gate 

Aha. Well in that case they can just do that. Any issues with the staff just tell them friends have their tickets and theyre en route.

I get the official line and all but the festival telling people to cancel their tickets and try for the resale is madness.

Edited by The Nal

17 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

They are usually too busy waving cars in .. it might be the official line … but in reality I don’t remember it happening 

Interesting. I guess, like anything involving security guards, it depends on what mood they’re in/how tired they are/how little they care at that particular moment.