Site Changes - What do we know?

stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The link doesn’t work, but presumably if you’re trying to win planning argument, then the cost of not getting your own way will be somewhat inflated as a means to win such argument?

Yes. Normally I’d be cynical of that too but it seems to be true as it’s actually resulted in them not doing it!

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The link doesn’t work, but presumably if you’re trying to win planning argument, then the cost of not getting your own way will be somewhat inflated as a means to win such argument?

Try this: https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=Q6YWYWKPL7T00

It's the 'ARCADIA REPORT' document.

6 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

I've never bothered with the spider at glasto albeit briefly once as it was always so busy and i prefer the naughty corner, but i went to it when it came to London and it was a brilliant day Sven vath, Groove amada and leftfield. 

Yes, that was a great day. Papa Sven was particularly good 

3 hours ago, jimmillen said:

It’s hard to see how they could improve the latter given the geography of the site. If they can find a way though that would be great. Flow of people through the Pyramid field is a mess… maybe some sort of one way system? Tricky not to create more problems than it solves though. 🤷‍♂️

Not parking the bloody ice-cream van on the path would be a great start. Maybe putting double width track down to make the area wider to walk through. 

Tbh I could see them taking even more out of the camping at the back of it, there was talk of removing west camper van fields so that could replace it?

10 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

I've never bothered with the spider at glasto albeit briefly once as it was always so busy and i prefer the naughty corner, but i went to it when it came to London and it was a brilliant day Sven vath, Groove amada and leftfield. 

I'll be really happy if they bring the spider back. In 2017 I'd planned all week to watch the sunday night Arcadia’s Metamorphosis show  but I was broken after watching Frank Carter , The killers and then Biffy and couldnt face the hike so ended up staying at the pyramid and watching Ed 😭 such a borefest .

Edited by gazzared

19 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Sorry, not been keeping up with this very well last few days......Pangea has gone and the Spider is back?

Is that confirmed?

Yeah I’ve a source that says it’s not coming back … that kind of fits with the associated costs of puting Pangea up and taking it down … and the refusal of planning permission 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah I’ve a source that says it’s not coming back … that kind of fits with the associated costs of puting Pangea up and taking it down … and the refusal of planning permission 

The majority and heaviest bit of it is already on site - can't see them taking it down before the festival this year.

1 minute ago, Dukeicon said:

The majority and heaviest bit of it is already on site - can't see them taking it down before the festival this year.

I’m not sure how long they will get away with it being there …. As it was some months ago it was refused … we will see I guess … I’m sure some of the usual locals will be having words with the council 

Just now, gooner1990 said:

So do you think possibly it will be there this year and 2023 will be back to the Spider?

I'm not sure, although considering what is there at the moment, it would seem silly not to use it (unless they are forced to remove it before the usual festival set up time by planning department).

Just to get you up to speed with a few things, as you said you missed a few things.
Arcadia applied for Planning Permission to keep up what they have there now, it got refused. They re-applied for planning permission with a lot more detail, this also go refused.
One of the key issues outlined for keeping it up is the £265,000 cost of putting it up and taking it down each year (staff, cranes, legal certification, etc), this is out of their budget of £484,000 for the area.

13 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

I'm not sure, although considering what is there at the moment, it would seem silly not to use it (unless they are forced to remove it before the usual festival set up time by planning department).

Just to get you up to speed with a few things, as you said you missed a few things.
Arcadia applied for Planning Permission to keep up what they have there now, it got refused. They re-applied for planning permission with a lot more detail, this also go refused.
One of the key issues outlined for keeping it up is the £265,000 cost of putting it up and taking it down each year (staff, cranes, legal certification, etc), this is out of their budget of £484,000 for the area.

Thanks for that. 🙂

I hope there is not a situation where a stripped down Pangea is sat there and not allowed to be used?!

56 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

So do you think possibly it will be there this year and 2023 will be back to the Spider?

I was told that they’ve decided to scrap the idea this year rather than spend more time and money developing it for just one more festival.   I don’t know how reliable this information is, it’s from my friend who is an artist and knows some of their crew though. 

I think this is independent to crazyfools source so it may turn out to be true but who knows. 

To further muddy the waters and make things even more confusing I've had the following info:

Basically it's up in the air at the moment. Nothing concrete been decided.

Pangea still the easiest option (which is presumably because of the infrastructure which has remained on site)

• Thanks 1

I think Pangea was doomed from the start, if it didn’t work in the glorious weather that was 2019 how was it ever going to work, it was too big and basically just a crane without anything attached and you are always going to have issues having a moving object over peoples heads. I know it would have evolved but I really thought it was a bit rubbish. I’ve never been a fan of the spider since it moved (although it was better than the terrible place in 2013) but it was at least spectacular to look at. Total guess but I think we will stick with the crane as long as they can keep the base up for 97 more days!!! And then we will have something to totally new again for 2023, just not sure why they would bring the spider back for just one year