Site Changes - What do we know?

stuartbert two hats

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is exactly the kind of content I come to eFests for.

Yes, you can get headliner info, who is playing etc in lots of other places. I also noticed, peering through the hedge on Cockmill lane,   some work being done on the top piece of the ribbon tower.  You heard it here first😉

Problem with the downlow is its a victim of its own success and hype from the likes of resident advisor and other media. You wont now get in unless you miss a headliner or work in block 9. It kind of feels like you have to be a part of the in crowd to access it almost! Thankfully genosys and iicon are both really good.

does anyone genuinely have a good idea of how early you now need to que with no special access to ensure you get into the downlow? Guess is about 10pm but wouldnt be surprised if it was earlier

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Problem with the downlow is its a victim of its own success and hype from the likes of resident advisor and other media. You wont now get in unless you miss a headliner or work in block 9. It kind of feels like you have to be a part of the in crowd to access it almost! Thankfully genosys and iicon are both really good.

does anyone genuinely have a good idea of how early you now need to que with no special access to ensure you get into the downlow? Guess is about 10pm but wouldnt be surprised if it was earlier

A friend of mine says they skip headliners to guarantee they get in. I didn't manage to get in last time on any day. I think it's also because world famous DJs want to do sets there as well. The queue for The Blessed Madonna was ridiculous in 2019. Thankfully its Glastonbury and there's so much to do but I felt for the people who stuck it out for like 4 hours waiting...

51 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Is the Left Field Stage going to be in the same place? It seems to get batted around quite a lot. Could do with being a bit further from the Glade imo

No reason to think it won't be in the usual spot.

It's only moved twice as far as I know, and I'm not sure either really count as batted around - about 20 years ago the initial improvised version was given a proper spot across from the meeting point, and then after that initial version collapsed and disappeared from the festival in 2009 due to internal politics, the resurrected version was given a new spot as the old location had already been taken over by the Queens Head.

47 minutes ago, incident said:

No reason to think it won't be in the usual spot.

It's only moved twice as far as I know, and I'm not sure either really count as batted around - about 20 years ago the initial improvised version was given a proper spot across from the meeting point, and then after that initial version collapsed and disappeared from the festival in 2009 due to internal politics, the resurrected version was given a new spot as the old location had already been taken over by the Queens Head.

I'd say it's been batted around, considering it represents a main aspect of the festival's ethos. 3 different locations since I've been going, + 1 year where it wasn't there at all - the Pyramid Stage doesn't get that shit 😂

13 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

I'd say it's been batted around, considering it represents a main aspect of the festival's ethos. 3 different locations since I've been going, + 1 year where it wasn't there at all - the Pyramid Stage doesn't get that shit 😂

Makes me think, has the Pyramid always been in exactly the same spot? (Including early incarnations?)

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

DA9DD131-E1CD-4397-BCB5-61D41534F1F8.thumb.jpeg.2b176c34c819799626f3b1805f6852d8.jpeg

new road surface, Matthews Gate! 

This is for the barn that they are building/have built across the road - there was great contention about this gateway on the planning documents . The planning for the barn had to go to appeal as well.

Barn Planning - https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=PIFRKFKP04W00

Access Road Planning - https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QY387AKPKI400

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Memory Man said:

3 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

A friend of mine says they skip headliners to guarantee they get in. I didn't manage to get in last time on any day. I think it's also because world famous DJs want to do sets there as well. The queue for The Blessed Madonna was ridiculous in 2019. Thankfully its Glastonbury and there's so much to do but I felt for the people who stuck it out for like 4 hours waiting...

I agree the NYC Downlow is going nowhere, but is it due a reimagining?

Obviously it's an NYC meatpacking factory because of the connotations and link to the NY gay scene of the past, but what about changing it up to reflect some other iconic LGBTQ+ scene? 

Like, what about a Caligula inspired Roman palace, downtown San Fran themed bar, something emulating Brighton's lanes or a Rio cabana club? You could maybe have a venue named in honour of a gay Icon - Garland's? 

Those might take some work to be as much fun as the Downlow though. Needs a cohesive theme running throughout.  

5 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

This is for the barn that they are building/have built across the road - there was great contention about this gateway on the planning documents . The planning for the barn had to go to appeal as well.

Barn Planning - https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=PIFRKFKP04W00

Access Road Planning - https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QY387AKPKI400

I’ve no doubt who objections came in fr without even looking 😂

9 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Obviously it's an NYC meatpacking factory because of the connotations and link to the NY gay scene of the past, but what about changing it up to reflect some other iconic LGBTQ+ scene? 

Like, what about a Caligula inspired Roman palace, downtown San Fran themed bar, something emulating Brighton's lanes or a Rio cabana club? You could maybe have a venue named in honour of a gay Icon - Garland's? 

Those might take some work to be as much fun as the Downlow though. Needs a cohesive theme running throughout.  

Think the difficulty is the theme works so well with the team behind it who help run some of the edgiest nights to this day in London. I think as well with the kind of music and DJs they host it needs a venue that really captures the spirit. I'm sure we may see it evolve but I wouldn't want it to lose too much of its identity.

2 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Think the difficulty is the theme works so well with the team behind it who help run some of the edgiest nights to this day in London. I think as well with the kind of music and DJs they host it needs a venue that really captures the spirit. I'm sure we may see it evolve but I wouldn't want it to lose too much of its identity.

To play devil's advocate, is it still edgy after 15 years though? 

Edited by blutarsky

42 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

D3E83D2A-B02F-4E59-B145-75B1644E367D.thumb.jpeg.7eb9a6e76d2316f92bddbfdb6aeab73a.jpeg

the barn! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Is it still edgy after 15 years though? 

took two NYC virgins in 2019. Watched first half of Stormzy then went over. queued for 30 mins then in. Both my mates were approaching 50, both male and heterosexual (as am I) they found it very edgy and intimidating. I love the madness of the place and in truth its the only club I go too! 

I would be delighted for it to stay as it is and if anything get darker. 

I loved the Lost Vagueness theme from the mid 2000's and would love to see some more dystopian inspired micro venue's which are both visually and auditory stunning 

8 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

To play devil's advocate, is it still edgy after 15 years though? 

I think that's a fair challenge. However, I view it as a bit of an institution now. In the world outside festivals we wouldn't be calling for successful venues or clubs to change, especially when they're so popular. I think they can probably get away with keeping it in a similar format as long as they have the artistic freedom with the rest of the block 9 space.

21 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I think if the venue was further away from genosys again then they could do more with the factory yard outside area. 

30 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Given how often I'm in Brighton, this would feel like a massive let down personally 😄

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Makes me think, has the Pyramid always been in exactly the same spot? (Including early incarnations?)

No, it's moved at least once - always been at the bottom of that field, but has definitely rotated and also moved, I think.

IIRC the first stage was placed on the leyline intersection, but was ultimately moved so it was actually in a good place, rather than a spooky, spiritual one.

It's certainly not moved since 2000 though.

45 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No, it's moved at least once - always been at the bottom of that field, but has definitely rotated and also moved, I think.

IIRC the first stage was placed on the leyline intersection, but was ultimately moved so it was actually in a good place, rather than a spooky, spiritual one.

It's certainly not moved since 2000 though.

Yeah - The second Pyramid was located and orientated approximately where the Joint Charities stall is now.

Not sure where the original 1971 Pyramid was.