Site Changes - What do we know?

stuartbert two hats

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What I'm saying is that it's gone the other way - they added this great big new field, but couldn't fill it.  Meanwhile, Pangea was way too packed and no fun at all.

Oh there was me thinking different 😂 I didn’t go to SEC after headliners last time I don’t think 

15 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I think I've walked past the lights at night and always thought "that looks fun", but never been.

On broader site changes are Avalon and silver Hayes due a bit of a revamp?

Avalon tent can get rammed if there’s a popular act on though I don’t think there’s enough space for a bigger tent. Maybe move the heater skelter to kids field?  Apart from the stage the main focus is the excellent Avalon Inn. 

19 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Avalon tent can get rammed if there’s a popular act on though I don’t think there’s enough space for a bigger tent. Maybe move the heater skelter to kids field?  Apart from the stage the main focus is the excellent Avalon Inn. 

Avalon Cafe is a weirdly named venue that's too close in size to the main Avalon - maybe replace it with something smaller and make Avalon bigger?

36 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Avalon Cafe is a weirdly named venue that's too close in size to the main Avalon - maybe replace it with something smaller and make Avalon bigger?

Yes, but doesn’t Michael like belting out a song in the cafe!  Been in the cafe and acts can be distracted by sound checks and performances from the main stage. That would be a good idea to relocate it further down the field, they do a good breakfast egg on toast. 

Not sure if this counts as a "site change" but an acquaintance of mine works for a company that provide and maintain PDQ machines for use at big events, and the supporting infastructure. They've landed a contract with Glastonbury. Not sure if that means this year will be cashless but I think it's looking that way, most other events they work with have gone that way. Certainly there'll be an absolute tonne more card machines in any case and this is a hefty contract.

Edited by ProperTea

34 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Not sure if this counts as a "site change" but an acquaintance of mine works for a company that provide and maintain PDQ machines for use at big events, and the supporting infastructure. They've landed a contract with Glastonbury. Not sure if that means this year will be cashless but I think it's looking that way, most other events they work with have gone that way. Certainly there'll be an absolute tonne more card machines in any case and this is a hefty contract.

Tbh it makes sense, there's been  2 1/2 years of development of the technology which would be an age anyway without the turbocharge that the pandemic put under the shift from cash. 

Even if the festival isn't explicitly cashless I'd guess there will probably be much higher % spend on card then before so they would need more infrastructure to support that. 

On infrastructure changes, anyone know if EE will be bringing 5g to the site? 

Didn't they say they were building more reservoirs to guard against any water supply issues?

Not saying anything new here I know, but that whole dance area needs a complete overhaul/rethink.

Far too big for the amount of people it attracts, personally I think it could be scaled down and some more camping put back in or something else that would get used. 

IICON is an interesting one, found it very sparce whenever I went there, but as someone else said perhaps that was the intention......if you put big (DJ) names in there then the place would be utter mayhem.

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

IICON is an interesting one, found it very sparce whenever I went there, but as someone else said perhaps that was the intention......if you put big (DJ) names in there then the place would be utter mayhem.

The acts there are always going to be relatively unfamiliar to most outside of the techno scene and I don't think that'll change in 2022. It's great to have a little space to dance, makes a nice change from being shoehorned into the Common! 

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The acts there are always going to be relatively unfamiliar to most outside of the techno scene and I don't think that'll change in 2022. It's great to have a little space to dance, makes a nice change from being shoehorned into the Common! 

I worked the festival in 2019 so didn't really get to go over there during 'peak' hours....I was there on the Saturday night from about 4am-6am when it closed, and like you say it was enough to have a dance about easily which I enjoyed. 🙂 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Yeah I didn't have to queue even once down there. 

There were plenty of queues for NYC Downlow - we turned up there hoping to get in 2/3 times but the queue was unreal so didn't bother and went to Maceos instead.

IIcon was fairly busy at midnight Saturday but it did look sparse the other times I went past. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

We were told that iicon replaced London Underground as a way to increase capacity in the area.  It was also given a massive field space so I think the intention was to pull bigger crowds than it did.  Perhaps there's just not as many true techno heads as they thought there would be.   I'm guessing there will be some more 'mainstream' artists this year, particularly around the time when Pyramid/Other shuts down and the masses head up to Arcadia's field. 

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Not saying anything new here I know, but that whole dance area needs a complete overhaul/rethink.

Far too big for the amount of people it attracts, personally I think it could be scaled down and some more camping put back in or something else that would get used. 

I went every evening to the SEC, and IICON was a strange atmosphere each time I passed through. I think there was too much space!

Really think that it needs a bit of an overhaul, a more eclectic choice of music in the early hours. Always enjoy my time there but I definitely preferred the Lost Vagueness vibe, not knowing what you were going to find. Probably why I love Boomtown.

31 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

I went every evening to the SEC, and IICON was a strange atmosphere each time I passed through. I think there was too much space!

Really think that it needs a bit of an overhaul, a more eclectic choice of music in the early hours. Always enjoy my time there but I definitely preferred the Lost Vagueness vibe, not knowing what you were going to find. Probably why I love Boomtown.

I think there is such pressure to provide high-end after hours 'entertainment' that then its almost over thinked a bit.

Most people would be happy with a big stage, a bar and some toilets and big enough area to dance/gurn in.....which is what IICON pretty much is, but you're not going to attract a lot of people with niche music or no big (ish) names.

30 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

SEC will get some field changes I think 

In the sense of layout or the crews running the place? 

I could possibly see Glasto Latino going but Block9 is confirmed and I think The Common, Shangri-La and UFG will all be present still.