Day Split Thread

Guy Incognito

Loads hapening on Saturday

Sniffany & The Nits, John Francis Flynn, Margo Cilker, Umlauts, Los Bitchos, Emma Thackray, TV Priests, Pixies, Mag Fields, Ian Noe, Gwenifer Raymond, Lynks, Ross From Friends, Xenia Rubinos, Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan....

5 hours ago, shoebox said:

Oh man, that Friday on the Garden Stage. I could end up being one of those camping chair w*nkers. Literally want to see everyone on there.

And that Pigsx7 slot in the Tipi on Thursday is going to be RAMMED

Totally agree.  The queue for Pigsx7 in the Tipi will be huge, and will be full pretty quickly.

Hard disagree that there's not much on on Saturday afternoon - Les Filles de Illighadad vs. Nukuluk vs. Warrington-Runcorn vs. John Francis Flynn is easily my worst clash of the festival 😔 Hopefully JFF's time on the Boat stage is incorrect, and I can soften the blow a bit by seeing Nukuluk at Visions Festival this weekend.

Surprised at the comments about Saturday. That Garden Stage lineup is packed. I am assuming we all agree Magnetic Fields are the must see act of the festival. Then Alabaster dePlume's current live show is one of the most life affirming things on earth at the moment (only a minor exaggeration). With Morby and The Weather Station adding that classic EoTR Americana vibe that people keep saying they are missing.

Have had a little look through and it doesn't look too clashy for what I'll probably end up going to see. Apollo Ghosts -> Khruangbin looks like a nice way to kick off on the Thursday. Nice run of bands on Friday evening, and Saturday day time at the Garden stage looks great. Happy that Bright Eyes and Kurt Vile aren't clashing too!

Edited by Tomos_

1 hour ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Surprised at the comments about Saturday. That Garden Stage lineup is packed. I am assuming we all agree Magnetic Fields are the must see act of the festival. Then Alabaster dePlume's current live show is one of the most life affirming things on earth at the moment (only a minor exaggeration). With Morby and The Weather Station adding that classic EoTR Americana vibe that people keep saying they are missing.

You assume wrong!

I probably won't watch any of them, and in fact I'm more interested in the people on the Garden Stage that day that you haven't mentioned above.

Still, we can't all go and watch the same bands.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:12 PM, Copperface said:

Had never heard of them before - saw your post and went and had a quick shufty at their album Monsters......

Love that shit even though only three songs in and now have it blasting out. Shades of the Gizz crossed with Osees. Be great if they were there as need a bit more in this vein.

If you like that sort of stuff and haven't listened to Slift then I suggest you do.

They are on the heavier side of OSees type stuff but are absolutely incredible. Would love for them to be booked over here but even though they are French and so aren't that far away they rarely seem to play the UK.

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Changed, though as she's headliner it makes me confused as to what they're doing with that area if it's hosting the books and the comedy as well as music. What time did the comedy end last year?

Didn't comedy run from lunchtime for a few hours and then they'd have a big gap and a few more acts on later? Maybe they bands are there to fill the hole.

They had a few artists on during the day last time. Rozi Plain was one of them.

6 minutes ago, benali said:

You assume wrong!

I probably won't watch any of them, and in fact I'm more interested in the people on the Garden Stage that day that you haven't mentioned above.

Still, we can't all go and watch the same bands.

I really like Magnetic Fields on record but I find him a very static performer live...

12 minutes ago, benali said:

Didn't comedy run from lunchtime for a few hours and then they'd have a big gap and a few more acts on later? Maybe they bands are there to fill the hole.

They had a few artists on during the day last time. Rozi Plain was one of them.

I just realised I could have easily answered my own question through the 2021 Clashfinder, which says it ran comedy at 1pm-3pm and midnight-1am (except Sunday), conversation 3.45-4.30 and music 5.30-9.45. So Raymond's time fits in but there's probably less of a gap between acts, though I'm not going to change that yet given I've made up the times on two of the other stages that day.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

FWIW I don't really think Perfume Genius will play a 90 minute set, I suspect there'll be an announcement some time in August of the "we're adding a very special set by Semi-Famous Artist X!" kind, as it's pretty clear Gabriels were going to play third from top and with time getting on the festival decided to release the splits before confirming a replacement (or maybe having to hang fire on one)

27 minutes ago, Tomos_ said:

Anyone got any recommendations for Friday during the day? Not loads I've heard before on then. Been listening to Naima Bock today and been enjoying that

You'll have seen Keg mentioned often on this board and for good reason. Mess Esque is Mick Turner of Dirty Three with a vocalist and is a little like his work with Cat Power on Moon Pix. Uwade (who sings the opener on Fleet Foxes Shore) for contemplative folk, and Rosali if you want the old Americana and country-rock EOTR staples. I know the country isn't short of sprechgesang post-punk but English Teacher are among the very best at it. Lunge are the singer from Archie Bronson Outfit and the drummer from Joe Gideon & The Shark - I haven't heard them but they're described as "classic soul, cosmic-dance-punk and psych-pop" which has to be worth a look.

17 hours ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Grove in the big top On the sat is worth a watch. Excellent at Supersonic last weekend 

I guess it's so they and Lynks can guest on each other's sets but Grove mid-afternoon when they would have ideally fit the post-headliner slot is the one placing that really baffles me (that and Christian Lee Hutson, who I'd thought would be much bigger than Talking Heads and he's not even playing the same day as his collaborators Conor Oberst and Nate Walcott)