Day Split Thread

Guy Incognito

5 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Sure he's not just on the Sunday? He seems like a pretty big booking for Thursday otherwise. Not that i'm complaining though.

True, could well be, like I say artist websites often just show the first day of the festival (even when they have another show on the same date).  It would mean a Birmingham - Manchester - EOTR route but as you say he's billed high so I'm sure it's worth his while. 

3 minutes ago, WFD said:

True, could well be, like I say artist websites often just show the first day of the festival (even when they have another show on the same date).  It would mean a Birmingham - Manchester - EOTR route but as you say he's billed high so I'm sure it's worth his while. 

And given the Umlauts did EOTR and Manc Psych on the same day last year...

Still can't believe Bright Eyes have been bumped up to Woods headliners. Reckon Simon etc must have gone after some bigger acts who all cancelled, most notably Big Thief, as evidently he originally wanted them on the Garden stage which is a much better fit.

It's especially odd seeing as King Gizzard are around the week before. Could have gone for someone like James Blake. 

14 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Still can't believe Bright Eyes have been bumped up to Woods headliners. Reckon Simon etc must have gone after some bigger acts who all cancelled, most notably Big Thief, as evidently he originally wanted them on the Garden stage which is a much better fit.

It's especially odd seeing as King Gizzard are around the week before. Could have gone for someone like James Blake. 

We had to watch a ranty man and someone swaying near a laptop as headliners last year, so steps in the right direction. 

Also, Conor Oberst headlined the Garden Stage in the early years, so is probably seen as a trusted supporter of the festival. 

1 hour ago, paulwa said:

We had to watch a ranty man and someone swaying near a laptop as headliners last year, so steps in the right direction. 

Also, Conor Oberst headlined the Garden Stage in the early years, so is probably seen as a trusted supporter of the festival. 

You say this but we know that Bright Eyes weren't originally booked to be Woods headliners so whilst they may be decent stand ins, it's evident that Simon originally didn't want then in that slot. 

20 hours ago, Tomos_ said:

Could see him playing the Woods before either Pixies or Bright Eyes

Would much prefer him on the Garden Stage as think it would suit his laidback style. The New single out yesterday is good with album to come!

4 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

You say this but we know that Bright Eyes weren't originally booked to be Woods headliners so whilst they may be decent stand ins, it's evident that Simon originally didn't want then in that slot. 

Are we certain that there isn't another headliner to be announced. Garden Stage looks stronger with Bright eyes there.

16 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Are we certain that there isn't another headliner to be announced. Garden Stage looks stronger with Bright eyes there.

I guess it's not impossible that they take a stance they did in 2016 with Bill Callahan where he was technically a headliner but played on the Garden Stage. The Jesus and Mary Chain were last on the Woods stage that year but we're in the first announcement with BC, not added later. 

The press release says that Bright Eyes "top the bill". I think it's very unlikely that they will be on the Garden Stage and if the you are, it's likely that the acts closing the Woods are already on the line up. 

I still think it's probably The Magnetic Fields, Tinariwen and Perfume Genius for Garden headliners. Think there's an outside chance Black Midi might do it too. 

Edit: Still think there's a possibility that a Garden headliner is in the next announcement. 

Edited by Guy Incognito

38 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

I still think it's probably The Magnetic Fields, Tinariwen and Perfume Genius for Garden headliners. Think there's an outside chance Black Midi might do it too. 

Edit: Still think there's a possibility that a Garden headliner is in the next announcement. 

Yeah, I think having been set to headline last year Pefume Genius will be a big Woods sub, but I had Magnetic Fields and Kurt Vile down as Garden headliners with maybe one more to be added - everyone else down to Greentea Peng feels like a Woods act, maybe apart from the possibility of Black Midi doing a late Big Top set or being its big draw Sunday headliner. That said, there's not much room for manoeuvre when a number two album band are twenty down the list.

EDIT: apart from those we already have dates for this is just informed speculation, but this looks pretty strong...

Thu: Khrungabin

Fri Woods: Fleet Foxes, Perfume Genius, Tinariwen, Nilufer Yanya, Porridge Radio
Fri Garden: TBA, Sudan Archives, Anais Mitchell, Cassandra Jenkins
Fri Big Top: Steam Down

Sat Woods: Pixies, Kevin Morby, Nala Sinephro, Yard Act (who'd probably sub-head but I'm going in announcement order), Durand Jones
Sat Garden: Magnetic Fields, Weather Station, Moor Mother, Gabriels
Sat Big Top: TBA (can't see a lot of typical Big Top headline contenders yet, but I half-guarantee Part Chimp will play a late night set)

Sun Woods: Bright Eyes, Aldous Harding, Lucy Dacus, Greentea Peng, Emma-Jean Thackray
Sun Garden: Kurt Vile, Hurray For The Riff Raff, Ryley Walker
Sun Big Top: Black Midi, Scalping

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

A female Garden headliner makes sense seeing as all the Woods ones are blokes (bar Thursday headliner). Still think she's more likely for Woods sub though.

I reckon Perfume Genius will be Garden headliner up against Pixies.

There’s a woman playing bass and singing in the Pixies.