Pukkelpop 2022

DDave

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

I think it's a bit extreme to blame a specific generation/genre for being untrustworthy. Brakrock had like 4-5 acts cancel in the weeks leading up to the festival, Bad Religion cancelled their Lokerse Feesten show 5 days in advance. Heck, Turnstile cancelled half of their June dates on short notice with some vague explanation and no indication to why certain dates were kept/dropped. 

2022 is an odd year. We all expected festivals/concerts to go ahead as planned since the number of covid cases has strongly decreased. Instead we're seeing cancels all around due to transport and personnel shortages, rising fuel prices, airport strikes, Brexit/visa issues, ...

I've read that some acts were even attempting to re-negotiate their contract with festival bookers. Most of these tours have been planned and budgeted during the course of 2021. However, due to inflation some of these once profitable tours are suddenly looking at a loss, as the agreed booking fees are staying fixed. So it's either bumping up the fees or having to cancel tours. I assume that smaller and younger acts are the first to be turned down then.

Hi all.

As far as I know, Bad Religion are one of the most professional bands of the festival circuit and they are an example fullfiling their contracts. They have cancelled their second european leg in the last minute due to a huge health problem in the wife of one of their members. You took a bad example.

Willow Smith for example cancelled due to "logistical issues". The real reason is the she demanded to play in the Main Stage, and avoiding a secondary stage. Just a question of "ego". I suspect that same happened with De'Wayne,but I am sure about it. Let's see if both of them also cancel Reading and Leeds festivals where they have an early slot in the Main Stage.

I know perfectly Destiny Tourbooking, entreprise that books all the shows for the old school punk bands that @johnybegood listed. I know that some of them cancelled their yours as Strung Out or Adolescents. Believe me that their booking agency in Europe gave a plan B to the festivals in less than a week. Comparing the "new punk internet stars" agents with people that works in Destiny is, at least, funny. 

I think that Pukkelpop maybe will book one of these old skull punk bands in the future thinking in the Main Stage (as Pennywise, Floggin Molly or NOFX did in the last editions) instead of placing them in their new Stage. Old Shool punkers have their own festival circuit in August (Tsunami, Brakrock, BayFest, PRH...) and Main August Festivals have forgotten these bands forever (Sziget, Pukkelpop, Frequency, Reading, ReS...). New music for the new generations.

1 hour ago, SarahEmpre said:

Willow Smith for example cancelled due to "logistical issues". The real reason is the she demanded to play in the Main Stage, and avoiding a secondary stage. Just a question of "ego". I suspect that same happened with De'Wayne,but I am sure about it. Let's see if both of them also cancel Reading and Leeds festivals where they have an early slot in the Main Stage.

I would quite believe the info about Willow that she demanded to only play main stages, that's something a member of Will Smith's family would do lol. But she was supposed to play on Sunday and there's still one spot left on that stage. Pukkelpop bookers could have easily given her that spot or swap her with Tom Misch or Sea Girls, who don't necessarily have to be on the main stage imho. De'Wayne didn't play main stages at US festivals, why would he demand it at Pukkelpop all of a sudden?

Edited by Newjem

HEAR HEAR map is up. Looks like they've moved the entrance so it is now in line with the Marquee (WAH WAH). GIMME GIMME is the Castello and YEAH YEAH is the Club, so all in roughly the same place as 2019.

298671816_184369404010048_3209152042279202651_n.jpg

Edited by Semprini
Add extra information

Joost announced for the missing Main Stage slot on Sunday.

That just now leaves a possible Dance Hall opener and mid afternoon in the Castello on Friday and on Saturday one afternoon spot in the Club and someone to play the Dance Hall in the evening. Don't think we're going to get anyone on after Slipknot on Friday, although it's a 45 min changeover so a DJ is a possibility. Still can't work out why Soulwax weren't replaced with a 2manydjs set, so that would be very welcome (even though I've already got Camelphat, Pendulum, Charlotte Adigery and Bolis Pupul and HAAI on my list at that time!).

Weather reports are still looking good. Probably some light showers on Weds and Thurs but should be dry all weekend and temperatures still in the low to mid 20's. Should hopefully be on the meadow enjoying a cold beer this time next week!

• Upvote 2

On 8/9/2022 at 9:15 PM, VCF said:

Pretty sure there have been slight adjustments on the timetable? Liam G playing 1h and the festival now ending at 0.50.

Change again as Editors is now scheduled to play 5 more minutes.

No shuttle buses tomorrow by the way. Great.

Few reports and pictures coming through from HEAR HEAR, both official and from friends who are there. Loving the look of the new Castello tent (it's completely open at the back and there's sections of the side that are open too) and the Boiler is the same style as the Marquee, which should hopefully offer some new possibilities with the production.

There's a live feed from HEAR HEAR starting at 6pm CEST. Not sure who they're showing though:

https://events.pickx.be/nl/hearhear/

• Thanks 1

Liam should have been the headliner. Tent was absolutely packed and atmosphere was top notch.

Sadly the crowd was dead for Wolf Alice. Can’t wait to see them again in November though.

We thought we had to leave early for this so only saw half of Parquet Courts but that was really good.

• Upvote 1

Went to see Pixies with no expectations and it was a pleasant hour.

Went to see Editors with no expectations and left after 40 minutes. Don’t know if I went with a bias given they should not be headlining but that is... not good.

Overall a pleasant day (and first time on the lovely PKP site), but they will need a better line up to get me back next year.

Edited by VCF

Saturday night was a mess for me anyway but this has probably made it worse.

Was planning to watch some of Sean Paul, as it will be a laugh and he's got a few anthems, but he now clashes with Wet Leg and Overmono. Add into the mix that probably my no.1 for the whole weekend, Job Jobse, is on then too so it's not great! The end of the night is slightly better as just got a clash between Jungle and Frank Carter now but really want to see some of Paula Temple too (who clashes with Caribou!).

Think I'll be doing the usual split sets for a lot of these but that's not really an issue as it's so easy to get round the site.

A big medical issue won't allow us to go Pukkelpop. Huge letdown after preparing everything. 

If anyone needs two combitickets, just let me know, I don't really care about the price. To have more or less money back won't make me 1% happy.

I hope that all of you have a great festival experience and enjoy the weekend!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

A big medical issue won't allow us to go Pukkelpop. Huge letdown after preparing everything. 

If anyone needs two combitickets, just let me know, I don't really care about the price. To have more or less money back won't make me 1% happy.

Oh no mate absolutely gutted for you and hope the person is OK x

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

Oh no Johny, that's awful and hope the person is not too serious.

I have a couple of local friends who were just planning to go on Saturday so I'll message them to see if they are interested. Will DM you later if I hear back.

Edited by Semprini
  • Upvote 1