Pukkelpop 2022

DDave

12 minutes ago, Otto77 said:

Maybe because they only have two dates in Europe in August.

Lot of american bands with short tours in Europe are cancelling (Lowlands manager said that in an interview). CH are coming to Europe just for two shows (thursday and friday) and then they have some shows in the US in August starting on Sunday 21st, so any incident in Europe these 3 or 4 days that they will stay here, will make them have to cancell their US tour.

It is just a guess, but for example, Hoobastank was supposed to come to Europe just for one gig in Portugal in August and last week they decided to cancel it. 

Short tours from American bands/artists have big chances to be pulled out

One personal reflection about the new Backyard Stage.

This is the kind of music to be released in this Stage if you read PKP announcement: "In a musical sense, this translates into hard guitars, underground hip hop and (pop) punk for new (internet) generations"

They have booked pop punk artists for the internet generation: tiktokers (Jxdn), celebrities sons (Willow Smith) and celebrities boyfriends (De'Wayne). ALL HAVE CANCELLED THEIR SHOWS AT PUKKELPOP!!!!!

Why not booking 4 or 5 good punk bands as Pukkelpop used to do in the old Shelter?? Lokerse Feesten has Floggin Molly, Interrupters, Bad Religion, Anti Flag...) and Brakrock has Lagwagon, Circle Jerks, Descendents, No Fun At All, Flatliners...

Pukkelpop bookers should learn the lesson and stop booking stupid youtubers, tiktokers and a**holes for filling the 5 or 6 punk gaps of the line-up. This kids do no care about festivals, music industry or playing live. Their world is internet and this is what they care. 3 bookings, 3 cancellations…

Edited by johnybegood
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

This is the kind of music to be released in this Stage if you read PKP announcement: "In a musical sense, this translates into hard guitars, underground hip hop and (pop) punk for new (internet) generations"

They have booked pop punk artists for the internet generation: tiktokers (Jxdn), celebrities sons (Willow Smith) and celebrities boyfriends (De'Wayne). ALL HAVE CANCELLED THEIR SHOWS AT PUKKELPOP!!!!!

Why not booking 4 or 5 good punk bands as Pukkelpop used to do in the old Shelter?? Lokerse Feesten has Floggin Molly, Interrupters, Bad Religion, Anti Flag...) and Brakrock has Lagwagon, Circle Jerks, Descendents, No Fun At All, Flatliners...

Pukkelpop bookers should learn the lesson and stop booking stupid youtubers, tiktokers and a**holes for filling the 5 or 6 punk gaps of the line-up. This kids do no care about festivals, music industry or playing live. Their world is internet and this is what they care. 3 bookings, 3 cancellations…

Jxdn, Willow and De'Wayne didn't cancel their shows because they're shitty tiktokers. You have no idea why they cancelled the shows... could be health problems, logistical issues or problems with visa. Loads of acts cancelled their tours for various reasons this year (and not just at Pukkelpop) but somehow you chose to ignore the other cancellations and just shit talk about these three. Are The Adolescents, Zebrahead, BLACKUP or Strung Out also stupid a**holes for cancelling Brakrock or are YOU the stupid a**hole?

• Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, Newjem said:

Jxdn, Willow and De'Wayne didn't cancel their shows because they're shitty tiktokers. You have no idea why they cancelled the shows... could be health problems, logistical issues or problems with visa. Loads of acts cancelled their tours for various reasons this year (and not just at Pukkelpop) but somehow you chose to ignore the other cancellations and just shit talk about these three. Are The Adolescents, Zebrahead, BLACKUP or Strung Out also stupid a**holes for cancelling Brakrock or are YOU the stupid a**hole?

It’s the first time un 12 years in Efestivals that I suffer a personal attack for giving my personal opinion. I won’t answer you as you deserve, even I won’t downvote you. 

Edited by johnybegood

1 minute ago, johnybegood said:

It’s the first time un 12 years in Efestivals that I suffer a personal attack for giving my personal opinion. I won’t answer you as you deserve.

Sorry for hurting your feelings but stupid comment deserves such a reaction.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, johnybegood said:

The bands you mention are all really old. You want them to book nostalgia acts on a nostalgia stage? 

3 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

How big/small are marquee, dance hall, club, Costello and lift? Trying to gauge how early need to be at the best sets, guessing yard act, wet leg, Kelly Lee owens, simz, Caribou for example

I have got information on the size of each one but it's now about 6 years old and the tents are different (and new in the case of the Backyard).

Marquee is the biggest and, funnily enough, they get smaller in the order you've listed them! One of the (many) things I love about PKP is that the crowd is constantly on the move and no one really camps out at any stage, aside from the Main but that's only really once the subs and headliners come along. You should be able to walk up to pretty much the front of every stage (apart from the Main for large acts) a few minutes before a band walks on. You can often even do this as they start so no need to get there early.

The only one I would be weary of from your list is Wet Leg. They are playing one of the smallest stages and are massively popular now so I think that one will be rammed. Should have been put on the Main or Marquee but there's quite a lot at the time they're playing so hopefully the crowd will be spread out.

• Thanks 1

I know we're still a week and a half away but the provisional weather forecasts are looking promising. Some are suggesting there will be light rain on Thursday but all are currently predicting it to be dry for the rest of the weekend. Temperatures are between 22-25C which would be ideal, unlike this weekend when it's going to be 33/34!

My niece and her boyfriend are coming for the first time and staying in the campsite across the road from the arena. I've never camped there but heard about this thing they do with a rope to stagger how people pitch their tent. Does anyone know if they did this in 2019?

13 hours ago, johnybegood said:

I think it's a bit extreme to blame a specific generation/genre for being untrustworthy. Brakrock had like 4-5 acts cancel in the weeks leading up to the festival, Bad Religion cancelled their Lokerse Feesten show 5 days in advance. Heck, Turnstile cancelled half of their June dates on short notice with some vague explanation and no indication to why certain dates were kept/dropped. 

2022 is an odd year. We all expected festivals/concerts to go ahead as planned since the number of covid cases has strongly decreased. Instead we're seeing cancels all around due to transport and personnel shortages, rising fuel prices, airport strikes, Brexit/visa issues, ...

I've read that some acts were even attempting to re-negotiate their contract with festival bookers. Most of these tours have been planned and budgeted during the course of 2021. However, due to inflation some of these once profitable tours are suddenly looking at a loss, as the agreed booking fees are staying fixed. So it's either bumping up the fees or having to cancel tours. I assume that smaller and younger acts are the first to be turned down then.

Edited by Dietediet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2