Pukkelpop 2022

DDave

16 minutes ago, Archi said:

Editors headliner is classic in Belgium. But Pixies above Liam... It doesn't make any sense to see them sub Pearl Jam and see them on the same line on RW poster. And it makes no sense to see them so big here again and to play 2 important festivals like this in Belgium. 

Pixies play Ancienne Belgique (2000p) when Liam play at Forest National (8400p available)... Liam is growing up in his solo carrer, it's fair to say it's not the same with Pixies...

EDIT: Pixies play at Forest National too in 2019... but still, it's sad that Liam doesn't play above them this time.

Liam didn't even sell out that Vorst show. He didn't really push ticket sales when he was on the Strokes day on what would've been RW20. Don't think the guy shifts many tickets. 

28 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Liam didn't even sell out that Vorst show. He didn't really push ticket sales when he was on the Strokes day on what would've been RW20. Don't think the guy shifts many tickets. 

Blaming Liam for the fact The Strokes don't sell shit in every other place than UK, Spain, USA? They're openers for RHCP in USA right?

2 hours ago, DDave said:

And Belgian bands who play 15000 seat arenas in Antwerp will play 200 capacity clubs in Manchester. Different strokes for different folks.

Quite.

Way back in 1991 I went to see Carter USM in Apeldoorn in NL, at the same time as "30 Something" was in the top-10 albums in the UK and turning them into a major headline act.

Despite their surging popularity across the North Sea there were fewer than 10 people in the room that night: including Fruitbat, Jim Bob and the sound guy...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RubenFrusciante said:

Blaming Liam for the fact The Strokes don't sell shit in every other place than UK, Spain, USA? They're openers for RHCP in USA right?

Blaming Liam for the fact that his appearance didn't do shit for the ticket sales that day. Don't think Liam (or the other Gallagher) is a big ticket shifter in Belgium. As proven by those Werchter sales, for instance. 

How is Strokes being opener for RHCP in the USA an argument in a discussion about Liam's popularity in Belgium? 😄

Edited by lighthouse

18 hours ago, lighthouse said:

But don't think Pixies brings many more tickets than him in a festival like RW... 

17 minutes ago, Archi said:

But don't think Pixies brings many more tickets than him in a festival like RW... 

Yeah, if you can't add another big headliner (like The XX - Editors at PkP17), then try to add 2 middle sized acts to push sales. And I think both Pixies and Liam are just that. With all due respect of course! 

Liam's placements on EU bills are all over the place. He headlines soms festivals whereas he's playing pretty low at others. At Rock And Rio he is (was) playing under Foo's (rip) and The National for instance. 

• Upvote 1

So what discoveries have we made so far from the line up?

I haven't spent much time yet trawling through the line up but there's already plenty I know of to keep me busy on Friday and Saturday. Sunday is my quietest day but that's currently the one with the least names so I'm hopeful more decent bands/DJs will be added.

Bit concerned that late night Friday will be clash central as Soulwax, Camelphat, Slipknott, Charlotte Adigery and Bolis Pupul, Pendulum, Rufus Du Sol and possibly HAAI and Goose may all play between about 11pm - 2am.

Saturday looks pretty much done but not sure where some of them will fit in? The early clashfinder has The Opposites closing the Marquee but I wonder if they'll do the Dance Hall and it will be Jungle into Underworld in the Marquee? Definitely recommend Marc Rebillet for what will likely be the craziest hour of the weekend as he'll pretty much improvise his whole set! Looking forward to Elkka, Mall Grab, Overmono, Pinkpantheress and SPFDJ but I'm currently listening to last nights Essential Mix from Job Jobse and it is amazing! Saw the start of his set in the Booth in 2019 but didn't hang around for too long - won't make that mistake this time!

Eris Drew, Anna, Fred Again.., Nova Twins, Gabriels and O'Flynn are all on my list for Sunday but I'm open to any recommendations that anyone may have?

7 hours ago, Semprini said:

Eris Drew, Anna, Fred Again.., Nova Twins, Gabriels and O'Flynn are all on my list for Sunday but I'm open to any recommendations that anyone may have?

Don’t know if you’re into rap/hip-hop but Joey Valence & Brae are great, huge Beastie Boys vibes.

Btw, looking at the clashfinder I really doubt Fred Again will be on Booth stage. He’s more of a live act than DJ that would be playing for 2 hours. He’ll be somewhere else for sure.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Newjem said:

Don’t know if you’re into rap/hip-hop but Joey Valence & Brae are great, huge Beastie Boys vibes.

Btw, looking at the clashfinder I really doubt Fred Again will be on Booth stage. He’s more of a live act than DJ that would be playing for 2 hours. He’ll be somewhere else for sure.

I'm not a massive fan of that kind of stuff but I'll give them a listen and will see how the timetable works out - thanks for the tip.

That clashfinder is a really good starting point but agreed, there's a few acts that have definitely been placed on the wrong stage. Think Fred Again.. will be in the Dance Hall and the same goes for Four Tet.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:58 AM, Newjem said:

Great recommendation on JV & Brae, on my must-see list now!

Romy from XX solo show be up there for me. 

Im anticipating a huge amount of clashes  on Friday I would love to see a run of:

Skepta -> Noisia -> Slipknot -> Pendulum (live)

That would keep me happy!

Edited by SilverLining
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, xydroh said:

that sucks ... guess I'll catch slipknot the next time they come to belgium

Maybe you can check out some of the other acts that day? There's a lot of variety actually.

Soulwax has an amazing live show, quadruple drummers and all. Skepta is pretty high energy, big grime name. Kokoroko is an awesome afrobeat band. Alex G has made a lot of great indie albums (don't know how good he is live though, he doesn't seem to tour a lot in Belgium). James Blake and Cypress Hill are always good. 

6 hours ago, misterplow said:

Maybe you can check out some of the other acts that day? There's a lot of variety actually.

Soulwax has an amazing live show, quadruple drummers and all. Skepta is pretty high energy, big grime name. Kokoroko is an awesome afrobeat band. Alex G has made a lot of great indie albums (don't know how good he is live though, he doesn't seem to tour a lot in Belgium). James Blake and Cypress Hill are always good. 

I'm sure they're really good bands and have a lot of fans, but these bands are just not something I like to listen to. Especially considering that 115 euro can go towards 3 or more indoor shows of bands that I do like.

Edited by xydroh

The Hear Hear festival really seems to be low energy on the the socials. On Facebook they have 300 people who say they are attending. Will they go through with it if they only sell like 10 to 15k tickets? 

I still hope they add these names to the main festival, but that is probably in vain.

10 hours ago, VDB said:

The Hear Hear festival really seems to be low energy on the the socials. On Facebook they have 300 people who say they are attending. Will they go through with it if they only sell like 10 to 15k tickets? 

I still hope they add these names to the main festival, but that is probably in vain.

No camping and no word of any shuttle buses to the site from Hasselt doesn't help

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DDave said:

No camping and no word of any shuttle buses to the site from Hasselt doesn't help

True and the price 

I like the line-up but I don´t know if I can attend because of exams + it´s a lot of money and hard to reach the festival site without a car

I have the feeling that the ticket selling is not working well. It's strange that the camping in front of the site is not solt out yet. There are still lot of hotel rooms available in Hasselt, something imposible to imagine a few years ago.

I am sure that if some of the Hear Hear bands would be in the Main Event, the ticket selling would be much better. I am willing to go back to Pukkelpop after 5 years, but I can't find lot of stuff in the line-up that convince me to spend 215€ in a ticket.

So, I will wait to the next line-up announcement, but I think that Hear Hear will be my choice if there is public transport to arrive to the festival grounds and go back to Hasset.

Edited by johnybegood

On 4/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, VDB said:

It sells, the crowd they are targetting are not really the ones who are on Facebook to say they are going. 

But it will be closer to 20k instead of 30k. 

3 hours ago, johnybegood said:

I have the feeling that the ticket selling is not working well. It's strange that the camping in front of the site is not solt out yet. There are still lot of hotel rooms available in Hasselt, something imposible to imagine a few years ago.

I am sure that if some of the Hear Hear bands would be in the Main Event, the ticket selling would be much better. I am willing to go back to Pukkelpop after 5 years, but I can't find lot of stuff in the line-up that convince me to spend 215€ in a ticket.

So, I will wait to the next line-up announcement, but I think that Hear Hear will be my choice if there is public transport to arrive to the festival grounds and go back to Hasset.

Slipknot, Cypress Hill and Limp Bizkit being 3 of the big names is a cool booking but sticks out like a sore thumb compared to previous Pukkelpops IMO. 90s rap, metal, and rap metal probably put a lot of the usual crowd off buying a combi ticket.