The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

All those graphs prove is what we've always known...

Beyond 5 days is absolute tosh...

The tight grouping of the data lines up to the 15th, and the way they go crazy after that is all the evidence you need. 

yes...but you can see the trend...settled to hot to unsettled (the unsettled bit is the big unknown...pilton may get loads of rain or none, or something inbetween).

5 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

It's going to be just above freezing?! I have no idea what any of this means

The 850hPa boundary is approximately 1500m above sea level. This means there is no diurnal variation (day to night change due to the surface warming and then cooling) making it very useful to identify air masses. In winter 850hPa temperatures below -5C are often be cold enough for snow.

(just off the top of my head)

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

The 850hPa boundary is approximately 1500m above sea level. This means there is no diurnal variation (day to night change due to the surface warming and then cooling) making it very useful to identify air masses. In winter 850hPa temperatures below -5C are often be cold enough for snow.

Or, from a different site

In the summer months temperatures at ground level are less dependent on the 850hPa air mass and more dependent on the stronger sun. Thus in summer even if  850hPa temperatures aren't very high it can still be warm..

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

great googling!

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not wellies or boots... crampons then?

I think it suggests that we will definitely have weather and we should all prepare for weather just like we do for every festival. Next week we'll have a bit more information about what type of weather to expect but at this stage I suggest be prepared for the fact there will definitely be weather.