The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

4 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

My message was yesterday, rained most of the day here in Belper. Haven't seen any rain today though thankfully.

I used to live in West Hallam, Pavillion Court specifically. Nice little village.

Ahaha, Nice one, West Hallam is lovely. I actually live in Mapperley, but since nobody, anywhere, ever has ever heard of Mapperley, unless they actually come from West Hallam / Mapperley, I always just say either West Hallam or Derby 🙈😂

I don't know if you'll know the Old Black Horse, you having been smack bang between Punch Bowl and White Hart, but I've been landlord there for over 6 years now. 

Edited by Alvoram

22 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Ahaha, Nice one, West Hallam is lovely. I actually live in Mapperley, but since nobody, anywhere, ever has ever heard of Mapperley, unless they actually come from West Hallam / Mapperley, I always just say either West Hallam or Derby 🙈😂

I don't know if you'll know the Old Black Horse, you having been smack bang between Punch Bowl and White Hart, but I've been landlord there for over 6 years now. 

Never been to the black horse, we used to just go to the White Hart as it was at the end of the street (that's the one you mean right, which is now demolished, rather than the one in Stanley?).

3 minutes ago, doogie said:

The latest GPS run isn't great.  It has a lot of low pressure in the lead up to the festival, but by the end of the run (the first day of the festival) there are tentative signs of improvement.

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

...but...at same time it is still a long way to go and these model outputs will change.

But again, I think we'll be very lucky to avoid rain over the 5 days of the festival, it will just come down to how much.

Just now, Dave_c said:

Never been to the black horse, we used to just go to the White Hart as it was at the end of the street (that's the one you mean right, which is now demolished, rather than the one in Stanley?).

Yes that's the one I meant. Such a shame it's gone, I remember it in the 90's being a bit of a landmark. 😕 Still, the houses are starting to look nice, I guess. 

Although the one in Stanley is very nice, if you're ever passing, New landlady has done a cracking job of turning it around, despite the horrendous 'covid' start she got. 

The punch bowl has stopped serving food, the old landlady and her partner have moved on after years and years, and it now focuses on sports, darts and pool etc. Which is probably a good idea, as without the White Hart, there's no other 'wet-led' pubs in the area. 

It would be interesting to see weather predictions for the next 10 days from 5 or 6 different weather sites, put them in a spreadsheet/table and then check them off each day to see which ones produce the best results.  We can then claim that one as our ‘trusted’ source.  Any takers?

3 minutes ago, KidneyTerra said:

It would be interesting to see weather predictions for the next 10 days from 5 or 6 different weather sites, put them in a spreadsheet/table and then check them off each day to see which ones produce the best results.  We can then claim that one as our ‘trusted’ source.  Any takers?

@vintagelaureate loves a spreadsheet!

BBC weather forecast for next 13 days has sunny spells and temps of 18-21 degrees all the way up to the Sunday before gates open in Pilton. Only one day is there slight rain. Get a grip people! The ground is going to be dry and and its going  to be lush. No point looking further ahead than that, too many variables at play, the key thing is the ground will be dry as a bone when we all pitch up

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

That's mad, we're only near West Hallam, Ilkeston, so not far from you at all!!! We got a fair amount early sunday morning, but it quickly dried up for the village celebrations. Nothing for the rest of the day other than very light showers. This was in spite of rain being forecast all day. 

Nursing a hangover today, so not been out much. I haven't noticed any 'heavy' rain but every time I've taken the dogs into the garden the ground has been damp. So we must be getting something. 

I know those places too. Had family from Kirk Hallam 🙂

12 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

BBC weather forecast for next 13 days has sunny spells and temps of 18-21 degrees all the way up to the Sunday before gates open in Pilton. Only one day is there slight rain. Get a grip people! The ground is going to be dry and and its going  to be lush. No point looking further ahead than that, too many variables at play, the key thing is the ground will be dry as a bone when we all pitch up

well that's no good, won't be able to get the tent pegs in.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

The BBC forecast looks way too good... I usually find BBC is the most accurate in my area, but I'm not sure I trust that one!!! To be fair, like every other forecast, they're only good up to a few days ahead. 

8 minutes ago, Cbobs12 said:

I know those places too. Had family from Kirk Hallam 🙂

Awesome. My daughter went to Kirk Hallam school for 6th form. 🙂 

1 hour ago, KidneyTerra said:

I’ve been taking regular screenshots from MetCheck over the last few weeks. Can see how good their long range predictions are. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

D3AF0C41-B059-44FC-A929-F846F8E8307F.jpeg.2dde98251de20e64f318772267427a8c.jpeg

From the midday GFS model run. This is midday Wednesday and looks pretty horrendous. Would mean several hours of rain during the Wednesday. Still more than 2 weeks away so all can change …

Not quite sure how ~1mm rain over the whole day would be horrendous? Doubt I'd bring the washing in for that

12 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

From the midday GFS model run. This is midday Wednesday and looks pretty horrendous. Would mean several hours of rain during the Wednesday. Still more than 2 weeks away so all can change …

Glastonbury is roughly there so ok for wednesday, its the thunderstorms Monday and Tuesday we have to worry about 🤣

Does anyone recall what the conditions were like at this point leading into the 2011 festival?

I acknowledge this is a long shot.. but if anyone can recall what the weather was doing in early June 11 years ago, you lot can.

I’m interested because 2011 is the only muddy one I have been to and I want to consider conditions in the lead up against that one. 

Cheers 😀