The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I assume "min" doesn't mean overnight minimum? I'd hope that would be slightly lower than the daytime max.

Yeah the long range forecast is only for daytime temperatures. Will be able to post night time temps as the festival gets closer. 

38 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Storm! Looks like someone attacked it with a hammer!

Chimney blew off and bounced off my main roof onto my lower roof haha still need main roof fixing though but I've managed to fill broken tiles with expandable foam 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Absolutely. It wasn’t fun in 2020/21 when the rain poured in the office. Roof must be sorted now, but as it’s ancient, we are forever on our guard.

We have an older house as well and any extreme weather does mean a quick look around to make sure everything has survived. This Winter it feels like we lost a few tiles in the storms but don’t seem to have sprung any leaks. 

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

We have an older house as well and any extreme weather does mean a quick look around to make sure everything has survived. This Winter it feels like we lost a few tiles in the storms but don’t seem to have sprung any leaks. 

Yes I hear you, same routine here. I’m not sure we have had any HEAVY downpours in Pilton this winter at all. If it’s really bad, driven from a certain direction, it will come down the chimney and flood the floor. Luckily we have a stone floor so no harm done.

7 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I’ve had my head turned and now fear it’s fairly safe to say it’ll be wellies (at least initially) on the hallowed turf this year.

The next week or so is looking moist.

Don't forget that weather sites often use the cloud/rain symbol regardless of how much rain is actually falling. It can be quite misleading. Check out the current Accuweather prediction:

screenshot-www.accuweather.com-2022_06_06-11_27_20.thumb.png.13d6f89de2912ec5a66c117c02a34da9.png

Now, some of those rainy clouds don't reflect much rain at all. They're predicting 0.7mm on 18th, which is hardly anything, yet there's that cloud with three bands of rain, giving the impression it'll be a howler. It won't.

I actually quite like this forecast. It's unsettled for the next couple of weeks but there are dry days in amongst the damp ones, so it's not relentless. It then dries up in the week of the festival and stays reasonable throughout. Temps could be a few degrees higher but I'd take this.

Edited by kalifire

25 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Don't forget that weather sites often use the cloud/rain symbol regardless of how much rain is actually falling. It can be quite misleading. Check out the current Accuweather prediction:

screenshot-www.accuweather.com-2022_06_06-11_27_20.thumb.png.13d6f89de2912ec5a66c117c02a34da9.png

Now, some of those rainy clouds don't reflect much rain at all. They're predicting 0.7mm on 18th, which is hardly anything, yet there's that cloud with three bands of rain, giving the impression it'll be a howler. It won't.

I actually quite like this forecast. It's unsettled for the next couple of weeks but there are dry days in amongst the damp ones, so it's not relentless. It then dries up in the week of the festival and stays reasonable throughout. Temps could be a few degrees higher but I'd take this.

And we dont even know if thats hitting the festival. That will only be the case on a 24-36 hr radar forecast. Next friday we'll pretty much have the weather thats going to be happening throughout the weekend. In 2017 when i started checking 2 weeks out it barely changed at all. Have trainers and boots packed but its leaning trainers all weekend!

Edited by Suprefan

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Pffft, that’s all overnight when nobody is working or driving on the site. During the day it’s 1.1mm in the morning and 0.9mm in the afternoon. Then a dry night. 

Edited by kalifire

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Pffft, that’s all overnight when nobody is working or driving on the site. During the day it’s 1.1mm in the morning and 0.9mm in the afternoon. Then a dry night. 

Yep. All the rain just stood on top of the soil waiting for all the trucks and vans and construction to roll in that morning to turn the place to shit.

59 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yep. All the rain just stood on top of the soil waiting for all the trucks and vans and construction to roll in that morning to turn the place to shit.

image.png.864362086024d829873be2db4f9440c5.png

Already started getting muddy in the glade field.

Wellies from the off this year.

14 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Yes I hear you, same routine here. I’m not sure we have had any HEAVY downpours in Pilton this winter at all. If it’s really bad, driven from a certain direction, it will come down the chimney and flood the floor. Luckily we have a stone floor so no harm done.

Was there any sign of a storm yesterday? 

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

What I'm constantly noticing where I live is the weather apps/forecasts etc are giving one forecast then about a day or two out it suddenly changes quite drastically.

Hope this settles before the festival!

thats because there aren't computers powerful enough to model weather patterns that far into the future.

any forecasts more than a week away are just speculation based on what usually happens at that time of year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1