The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Currently snowing in my part of the country. The last time it snowed this late in the year was 2016. 

Don’t want to take away The Nals thunder but I have a strong feeling this year is going to be a bad one. 

The mudbaths in recent years have been in 2005, 2011, 2016 so approximately every 5 or 6 years. 

I’m going in expecting the worst. If I’m wrong I’ll be happy and so will everyone else! 

2007 is feeling a bit left out

3 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

I can only apologise for any potential poor weather - I got a resale ticket and bought some summer Birkenstocks.... upon delivery of said summer footwear the temp dropped by 15° 

I am truly sorry to all festival attendees for I am the harbinger of inclement weather.

Don't worry everyone who has lived in the UK for any length of time should have been aware that last week was fool's Spring. It's all entirely normal and has no bearing on the weather at the end of June so our forgiveness is not required 😄

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

By a mile. 2016 was fine. Didn't really rain when the gigs were on. Just muddy.

I think the key problem with 2007 was just how unrelenting it was - and how the moisture just hung in the air. It was also very cold, especially at night. 

9 minutes ago, David_303 said:

I think the key problem with 2007 was just how unrelenting it was - and how the moisture just hung in the air. It was also very cold, especially at night. 

My first year. A few of my mates never returned.

9 minutes ago, Fishman said:

There were 18 of us in '07 .... 5 returned for '08

07 was a weird one anyway, even without the weather. It was pre Martin audio so the sound was abysmal on loads of stages, there was no real SE Corner, Lost Vagueness was finishing up. It defo felt like the end of something. 

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyone go in 97? That has got to be the worst I've ever seen it. Horrendous. And 98 was nearly as bad.

'97 was very very muddy, but it didn't actually rain Friday to Sunday. '98 was very wet.

I'd gone on the Wednesday in '97 (not so common on those days) and remember trudging to the phone boxes with my phone-card (I'm sure I've got a Glastonbury one somewhere) and ringing one of the gang to say the place was the like the Somme and implore on them the importance of decent footwear - no mobile phones; no web-cams; no state-of-the-ground threads.

26 minutes ago, Fishman said:

'97 was very very muddy, but it didn't actually rain Friday to Sunday. '98 was very wet.

I'd gone on the Wednesday in '97 (not so common on those days) and remember trudging to the phone boxes with my phone-card (I'm sure I've got a Glastonbury one somewhere) and ringing one of the gang to say the place was the like the Somme and implore on them the importance of decent footwear - no mobile phones; no web-cams; no state-of-the-ground threads.

yeah...97 we were in car on way down there, I think on the Thursday..ticketless...and the weather was silly and they were talking on radio of it possibly being cancelled...and I was suggesting to my friends that we don't actually have to go...but of course we did and it just became a matter of survival...we were so ill prepared for the conditions, no wellies or waterproofs etc. The following year we were better prepared, but still got out of there on the saturday morning.

97 was my first Glastonbury. I remember the journey up to the site on Thursday and thinking to myself ‘what the hell am I doing’. I can't remember it raining that much during the weekend but it seemed cold and just muddy everywhere.

Despite the awful weather I managed to convince my mate to come with me in 98. We went on Weds to get as much Glastonbury as possible and I remember putting tent up in the sun and the weather being really nice for the first day. That was until the heavens opened and just didn't stop, by Friday it seemed worse than it was in 97. We left on Saturday as our tents (and general outlook on life) were ruined.   

2011 and 2016 both seemed fine in comparison, but I was pretty young back in 97/98 and my memory is patchy. I came across some old photos of 97 that I found last year when moving house...

IMG_1175.JPG.165c8977b044acbdc41939d20eff56ef.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG.769db054734c0971c94c06e3a7f64bf8.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG.0dc2757890f424f6286e7203b369a404.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG.40e781b2652770244f22b3b19b380498.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, mickthevoice said:

97 was my first Glastonbury. I remember the journey up to the site on Thursday and thinking to myself ‘what the hell am I doing’. I can't remember it raining that much during the weekend but it seemed cold and just muddy everywhere.

Despite the awful weather I managed to convince my mate to come with me in 98. We went on Weds to get as much Glastonbury as possible and I remember putting tent up in the sun and the weather being really nice for the first day. That was until the heavens opened and just didn't stop, by Friday it seemed worse than it was in 97. We left on Saturday as our tents (and general outlook on life) were ruined.   

2011 and 2016 both seemed fine in comparison, but I was pretty young back in 97/98 and my memory is patchy. I came across some old photos of 97 that I found last year when moving house...

IMG_1175.JPG.165c8977b044acbdc41939d20eff56ef.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG.769db054734c0971c94c06e3a7f64bf8.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG.0dc2757890f424f6286e7203b369a404.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG.40e781b2652770244f22b3b19b380498.JPG

aye...grim.

Good exercise though.