The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

Have been following this thread for the last 150 pages. Don't own wellies or walking boots, only my old trainers.

I don't leave for the festival til Thursday and I'm wondering whether it's worth rolling the dice on not buying wellies and just going trainers only, with the back up of buying wellies on site if shit hits the fan? But also thinking that 1000s of other may do that!

1 hour ago, briddj said:

So, for the penultimate time this year, let's see if things stay positive with the 00Z!

TODAY!

Totally dry, highs of 25.

image.thumb.png.aabec61c93999c4fafc257622f2e82ae.png

As usual.

image.thumb.png.007490ce48c022a165a04b7c89e2fbea.png

THURSDAY

Totally dry, highs of 24-25.

image.thumb.png.b66db7c5627ea04fed9459e303ada6b7.png

As usual.

image.thumb.png.c5a01be88b4732338f7c999043c05b83.png

FRIDAY

Rain around during the day. Highs of 18-19. Clearing in the evening and dry overnight.

image.thumb.png.2758677f6c853d62ac98d1cf5ed25c0b.png

Yep, consistent.

image.thumb.png.c9ab036bdb6709b02cd74ede7acadc5f.png

SATURDAY

Rain a bit more in the vicinity of the site on this run, but still on the cusp. Highs of 18-19. Clearing in the evening and dry overnight.

image.thumb.png.d77ad816b5f420f258ff370ef2ca5b43.png

All very familiar now.

image.thumb.png.7f62e7a81d35029187cb43a2509e2b48.png

SUNDAY

Again, the showers are on the cusp of the site and nothing is definite. Highs of 18.

image.thumb.png.a2c6574ed66adf30b9d0d2323da7cd51.png

If anything, slightly better.

image.thumb.png.a779ccb3b0c83fb53c8a3cd1737199d3.png

MONDAY - DEPARTURE

Dry.

image.thumb.png.3c1d975281ffd9e8bc00d1bf79e7f8cf.png
SUMMARY

Comparing the last run to this one, there does appear to be a little more danger of rain around on this one - but not drastically so, and it's still hard to call.

And still no sign of that Thursday rain that many apps think is coming!

For instance, the difference for Friday. Latest on the left.

image.thumb.png.5c779e31d59e72d9d7eda672a85d4781.png

Matt Taylor of the BBC isn't as bullish as he was 10 hours ago! But it still looks fairly positive.

That BBC report vid pre dates last nights one

19 minutes ago, Brumbot said:

Have been following this thread for the last 150 pages. Don't own wellies or walking boots, only my old trainers.

I don't leave for the festival til Thursday and I'm wondering whether it's worth rolling the dice on not buying wellies and just going trainers only, with the back up of buying wellies on site if shit hits the fan? But also thinking that 1000s of other may do that!

Trainers only. Do it! Be brave/foolhardy! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brumbot said:

I think youre gonna be fine with your trainers. Worst case you can buy some on site if you felt the next.

• Thanks 1

Round up of morning developments:

- Met Office still fancy the heavy showers late Thursday and have them in the forecast (80% heavy shower and 60% thundery shower in the evening), but they look less likely based on overnight runs to me. Reckon they'll disappear from website later this morning. (EDIT: NOW REMOVED FROM FORECAST 🙂) Meteo think small risk showers. GFS is having none of it

- General agreement Friday and Sat showers are possible but rainfall totals trending downwards. The first band of rain - which is breaking up - looks like early hours of Friday, second spell with a risk later that day 

- Sunday a bit more uncertain but still just showers 

Edited by Glasto Weatherwatch

2 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

It’s a big ask because you’ll be at the festival by then and have better things to do … but we can’t get there until Fri morning (childcare reasons) so if anyone can update on state of the ground Thurs night that would be AMAZING. Hoping those Thurs showers don’t amount to much. 

Will try to remember, post-rain if it comes.

I’ll be looking at the first two GFS runs tomorrow before I arrive too

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

It’s a big ask because you’ll be at the festival by then and have better things to do … but we can’t get there until Fri morning (childcare reasons) so if anyone can update on state of the ground Thurs night that would be AMAZING. Hoping those Thurs showers don’t amount to much. 

I am same, leaving Friday due to childcare... if I get any intel from mates already there, I'll let you know

• Thanks 1

Jo Farrow from Netweather keeps the trend for nothing much to be concerned about: https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/11508-glastonbury-update-5-glorious-first-day-sunshine-soon-overtaken-by-showers

Thursday

Thursday 22C to 25C with sunny spells and a light east wind. The risk of sudden torrential downpours with hail, high gusts and lightning. There is low confidence in this part of the forecast. Into Thursday evening the feed of showers does continue from the south but there looks to be a drift eastwards which should take them away from Pilton.

Friday

A quieter cloudy start on Friday with a fresher feel to things. Low pressure will be moving near to the UK and around this, there will be a feed of blustery showers for the West Country. It will feel warm in any sunny spells, but showers are likely by the afternoon. They come, they go and it will feel cooler by Friday evening.   20C bright spells with showers and a moderate SW wind.

The weekend

A similar story with strong, warm sunny spells with the risk of showers. Saturday will see a breeze but feel warm at 21C whereas the air looks cooler by Sunday and only up to the high teens. It will be cool after dark and overnight, don’t be fooled by this high summer first day. Have a great time.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HomicidalGoat said:

IF....if the worst case scenario happens, and there are thunderstorms tomorrow and on and off again showers Friday through Saturday...what will that realistically do to the ground? I've not brought my wellies 😞

You better go home.

Here we go, then!

TODAY

Totally dry, highs of 25.

image.thumb.png.87b4b87c8974c39155beb2d2cb363014.png

THURSDAY

Unfortunately the GFS has now got on board with the threat of afternoon and evening rain. Highs of 25.

image.thumb.png.a2247d9aad5112cc896af26ba30438eb.png

FRIDAY

Dry in the early hours. Threat of afternoon showers then clearing. Highs of 20.

image.thumb.png.6eab648ba0097196927633719528d6d2.png

SATURDAY

Completely dry, rain missed the site. Highs of 19.

image.thumb.png.49fd33cb59f8ae18f70881ca109f2dcc.png

SUNDAY

Totally dry, highs of 18.

image.thumb.png.7dda84fca374cb802d38a36db03cdab5.png

MONDAY - DEPARTURE

Maybe showers.

image.thumb.png.87acf04b098880d017fae7bc107e288f.png

SUMMARY

So we go out on a very positive update with only Friday afternoon showers and a dry weekend.

RIGHT TO THE CAR! LET'S DO THIS!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Upvote 7