The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

8 minutes ago, srb said:

There was about 10 minutes of a very light shower on the Saturday about midday. Was at Amber Arcades at The Park and began putting on wet gear only to remove it immediately 

Definitely drizzled a little bit during Slaves Sunday morning too. 

Friend works at Beeb and has just sent me the BBC Weather internal advisory for staff for the weekend (not posting full copy so they don't get in trouble).

It's not the same as the website though - much more in keeping with what we're seeing from the models. Key bit - Friday and Saturday 'generally unsettled' with 'growing risk of showers or longer spells of rain' Friday night and Saturday, 'some possibly heavy'.

Does also say between these phases there will be dry, breezy weather with sunshine. 

Disclaimer - 2019s one was full of nonsense about thunderstorms. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Friend works at Beeb and has just sent me the BBC Weather internal advisory for staff for the weekend (not posting full copy so they don't get in trouble).

It's not the same as the website though - much more in keeping with what we're seeing from the models. Key bit - Friday and Saturday 'generally unsettled' with 'growing risk of showers or longer spells of rain' Friday night and Saturday, 'some possibly heavy'.

Does also say between these phases there will be dry, breezy weather with sunshine. 

Well that is one English summer. Go prepared for sun and rain and the forecast doesn't matter. A hat is good for both. 

I'm still toying with the thought of buying/wearing wellies, and I am now feeling the high pressure of not deciding. I hate wellies (and walking boots), but muddy soggy trainers are probably just as bad.

Is it wise to be a chancer and just take trainers, or am I being stupid?

Just now, across97 said:

I'm still toying with the thought of buying/wearing wellies, and I am now feeling the high pressure of not deciding. I hate wellies (and walking boots), but muddy soggy trainers are probably just as bad.

Do you want to anger the weather gods?

Honestly  unless you've already got a pair of walking boots, it's better to bring a pair of wellies and not need them, than not bring them and be screwed without them.

The weather fri-sun is on a bit of, ahem, a knife edge at the moment so it really would be a high risk gamble at this point.  

3 minutes ago, across97 said:

You're being stupid.

4 minutes ago, across97 said:

It’s a big risk. Hopefully we’re just looking at light showers passing over us but there’s always the chance for a flash storm which could dump a lot of wet stuff on us. I don’t think we’ll be anywhere near needing wellies but walking boots for sure are worth taking.

Edited by jparx

6 minutes ago, across97 said:

Always take wellies or boots. Always. Don't use them? You don't care. Need them? You'll be forever grateful (see 2005). 

Just now, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Always take wellies or boots. Always. Don't use them? You don't care. Need them? You'll be forever grateful (see 2005). 

I risked it at my first one in 2004.....spent one night hanging onto my mate skating around in muddy trainers then went and bought some cheap hiking boots on a stall but they charged me twice the price!

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I risked it at my first one in 2004.....spent one night hanging onto my mate skating around in muddy trainers then went and bought some cheap hiking boots on a stall but they charged me twice the price!

I did same in 1998.

Only thing I could get was army surplus boots (with steel toe caps) a size too small. Have been team welly ever since. 

1 minute ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

I did same in 1998.

Only thing I could get was army surplus boots (with steel toe caps) a size too small. Have been team welly ever since. 

good lord, it was before my time of attending but I had friends who went in 1998 and I know it was 100 times worse than 2004.

I've always been team boots (high-top) with a pair of shorts.

32 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Just can't relax, can you?!