The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

Has there even been a festival that has had a dry start on dry ground and then a few days of light showers? What would that even do to the ground? All I can think of are either mudfests, heatwaves or ones where it has been mostly dry but then one big storm that made loads of mud that then dried up. Has there been a recent glastonbury which has had 3 days of (just) light rain?

I’m about 20 miles south of Pilton as the crow flies. My weather app is showing it’s currently 15 degrees and I’m sat outside in shorts and very comfortable. It’s gonna fine! The temperature tomorrow looks glorious and judging by how forecast to reality has gone over the past week, we’ll get some light showers that’ll keep the dust at bay whilst we’re living out best lives. The only maps we’ll care about are ones that tell us where we need to be. It’s nearly show time, people! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, pedmills said:

Has there even been a festival that has had a dry start on dry ground and then a few days of light showers? What would that even do to the ground? All I can think of are either mudfests, heatwaves or ones where it has been mostly dry but then one big storm that made loads of mud that then dried up. Has there been a recent glastonbury which has had 3 days of (just) light rain?

2009. Chucked it down on Thursday/Friday morning. Wellies needed but by lunchtime Saturday it was back to the tent to change to trainers. Baking for the rest of the weekend. 

19 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Final MetCheck update before I go. 

If we only get 1.2mm of rain over the whole week it’s a win. Just enough to keep the dust down. 

Suncream needed for Wed/Thurs though 

3D92FEAD-22DC-48B4-9D32-B0AF7019C965.thumb.jpeg.61fea05c69f1f1ba905ad5049ba26943.jpeg

3085AD1A-6737-4366-83D9-74842527E392.thumb.jpeg.5c5a24dca2d11cc23a4c578cc8b2325a.jpeg

24660F2D-B2CE-4DBC-AF31-84604CA092D7.thumb.jpeg.f1396a867b63b425376323f2aad36b88.jpeg

That rain would feel like nothing. Stick.

image.jpeg

37 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

It’s not ideal but randomly some of my best festival moments have been in the pissing rain. There’s something about watching an act as the rain falls. Not into the mud but there’s a certain atmosphere created.

I think we’re gonna come back here Tuesday and discuss how the weather was a perfect balance.

Mary J Blige - No More Drama on the Pyramid in 2015 - unbelievable 

Edited by Festival Liam

8 minutes ago, wolvodan said:

2009. Chucked it down on Thursday/Friday morning. Wellies needed but by lunchtime Saturday it was back to the tent to change to trainers. Baking for the rest of the weekend. 

That's what i mean though - chucked it down once but then dry. What if doesn't chuck it down this year but there is 3 days of on/off very light rain (on previously dry ground)? Is there an example of that in recent years? Would the ground still eventually get really muddy?

24 minutes ago, pedmills said:

Will do nothing. 2017 was dry til friday night when it rained late. Saturday overnight had showers and the ground was perfectly fine. The issue as mentioned before was that if it had been raining constantly leading up that it would make it more prone to mud if it rained a fair amount during the festival. Doesnt seem to be the case.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, pedmills said:

2015 was dry the week leading up and for most of the festival aside from either the Friday or Saturday where it rained heavily for a few hours and the site went muddy quickly.

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Will do nothing. 2017 was dry til friday night when it rained late. Saturday overnight had showers and the ground was perfectly fine. The issue as mentioned before was that if it had been raining constantly leading up that it would make it more prone to mud if it rained a fair amount during the festival. Doesnt seem to be the case.

2017 was warm

4 minutes ago, pedmills said:

That's what i mean though - chucked it down once but then dry. What if doesn't chuck it down this year but there is 3 days of on/off very light rain (on previously dry ground)? Is there an example of that in recent years? Would the ground still eventually get really muddy?

I think it will be fine. It’s been dry. For me it’s everyone who clomps around in wellies that makes the ground worse! Worst footwear choice ever. Some waterproof walking boots rain or shine is the way to go!

as previous poster said. Sit on a bin bag kind of weekend. 

31 minutes ago, pedmills said:

I would say 2008 / 2015 are probably nearest. 

2008 - Thursday overnight rain, then light rain most of Friday pm. No mud bath but wellies / boots needed. By Sat pm the mud was compacted down - still sticky in spots but basically okay. 

2015 - generally fine but a mental hour of rain Friday. Site pretty boggy. Dried by Sat evening but then light rain overnight into Sunday moistened everything up again.

Neither were mudbaths, but limited trainer time. 2015 shows risk of one heavy sustained shower though. 

8 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

2015 was dry the week leading up and for most of the festival aside from either the Friday or Saturday where it rained heavily for a few hours and the site went muddy quickly.

Yup, this. We were super unlucky on the Friday - people go on about the force field but nearly all of Somerset was fine  and one small but brutal shower seemed to hover over the site for ages. 

See also Friday pm in 2014. 

That’s the problem with saying ‘it’s just showers’ - if you’re spinning the roulette wheel for three days, chances of a bad one are fairly high. 

• Upvote 1

Met Office updated, saying just a few showers, light rain now

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcn5n88mb#?nearestTo=Pilton (Somerset)&date=2022-06-26

Exhale...... Well done everyone! Another fucking pointless 294 pages!

Been a lot of fun. Have a great festival! Its going to be amazing regardless. 

This time tomorrow

Glastonbury-1536x975.jpg

image.thumb.png.e6646649b0437d0bfa526a4e6df9771b.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 24

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Met Office updated, saying just a few showers, light rain now

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcn5n88mb#?nearestTo=Pilton (Somerset)&date=2022-06-26

Exhale...... Well done everyone! Another fucking pointless 294 pages!

Been a lot of fun. Have a great festival! Its going to be amazing regardless. 

This time tomorrow

Glastonbury-1536x975.jpg

image.thumb.png.e6646649b0437d0bfa526a4e6df9771b.png

Good game, Nal. It’s been emotional. 💚