The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

no...just all relative...because I wasn't happy when 25+ temps were being forecast...but believe it or now I would prefer that to what we have now. But...whatever, I guess it's all my fault.

Oh no, not blaming, just making a general observation.

I'd much rather low 20s with a chance of rain than high 20s/low 30s. 

As long as it doens't rain for a long time and all 3 days (which would be very hard, because then everyone would be right?) then I'm good.

BBC are taking the piss here. Forecasting a warm, beautiful day with a potential short shower over dinner time, with a clear evening, and they’ve gone for an overall description of dark angry clouds and rain? 😂

99E0A2CB-5599-443E-983B-FC55CDC3E5D6.png

Edited by jparx
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

My manifesto was always 18C max, 14C min, no rain, sun/cloud, gentle breeze. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

It’s flawed logic though. To get the low temps means you’re needing a weather front to be active. That weather front will also bring clouds and rain. 

18 degrees with sun just isn’t possible this time of year in the south of England. 

3 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

Bit confused at what people are complaining about now. The ensembles now have us looking at extremely minimal rain all days. 

Latest ECMWF also has that Saturday band of rain missing us. 

Same. Just checked the latest GFS and it's looking a lot better than this time yesterday. Minimal rain the whole weekend. No heavy or torrential rain and plenty of sunshine.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

BBC are taking the piss here. Forecasting a warm, beautiful day with a potential short shower over dinner time, with a clear evening, and they’ve gone for an overall description of dark angry clouds and rain? 😂

99E0A2CB-5599-443E-983B-FC55CDC3E5D6.png

yeah, it's annoying when they do that...but I guess if there is a chance of rain at some point maybe that needs to go in summary icon thing.

2 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Same. Just checked the latest GFS and it's looking a lot better than this time yesterday. Minimal rain the whole weekend. No heavy or torrential rain and plenty of sunshine.

Will the usual forecast players update prediction later today then?

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s flawed logic though. To get the low temps means you’re needing a weather front to be active. That weather front will also bring clouds and rain. 

18 degrees with sun just isn’t possible this time of year in the south of England. 

ok...20 then. I mean what was it yesterday, 21? Early last week we had some sun/cloud days with not much above 18? The average temperaure for this time of year is 19?

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, it's annoying when they do that...but I guess if there is a chance of rain at some point maybe that needs to go in summary icon thing.

Yeah, mainstream forecasters apparently (this is according to Nate Silver) "bump up" rain, showing it as more likely than it is too, because readers will be more annoyed if its forecast no rain, and it rains, than vice versa

It’s not ideal but randomly some of my best festival moments have been in the pissing rain. There’s something about watching an act as the rain falls. Not into the mud but there’s a certain atmosphere created.

I think we’re gonna come back here Tuesday and discuss how the weather was a perfect balance.

7 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

It’s pretty funny when you drag the slider fairly quickly across the days on the rain chart. The rain really does totally swirl around us but not hit full on until later on Sunday. I’m sure we’ll get some in reality the forcefield does look in effect 😂

Netweather back up and their forecast isn't too bad. Has no precipitation for Thursday evening, but there is a risk of a storm (?!), Friday it has it dry, rain very early saturday morning, dry most of day except some showers saturday evening, dry sunday except showers in evening, and wet on Monday. Not sure if this forecast good though, format/layout looks a bit messed up.

If you want to see on here, search Pilton.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/7-day

3 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

If you want to feel better about things, I suggest the UKV model on netweather. I suggest we should be looking at that and ECMWF ANYWAY, since they're more accurate than GFS

That model puts the rain in to perspective if people aren’t sure what “showers” would mean. Really short, fast moving showers, possibly a heavy but quick deluge but possibly nothing at all as well.

1 minute ago, rgill3 said:

Someone just tell me what its looking like for each day. First response determines what I bring.

Wednesday/Thursday is mid20s, VERY small chance of rain on Thursday evening. Friday is 20 degrees, small chance of rain in the evening. Saturday is 18-19, chance of rain in the afternoon (very low) Sunday is 16-17 with the higher chance of rain throughout the day but no evening rain