The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Trust the met office site. The video will be dated by now, probably filmed this morning. They’re certainly projecting a better outcome as of this afternoon. 

yep, it's the issue the BBC face, pre-rec certain forecasts and they're soon redundant. Best bet is keep across the Met Office's rolling forecast online, it's my go to despite working for the Beeb https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcn4fpj2y#?date=2022-06-20

Edited by jezzer
adding content

7 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I can't recall that at all....I'm fairly sure it didn't tip it down on the Thursday.

Thursday afternoon 2007 was when the rain started.  We were sitting near the Brothers Bar, two of us had gone to get a round in, and had some tokens, and ended up walking away with more than we could carry, so we started chatting to people in the vicinity and sharing our good fortune out.  That turned into a couple of hours of yacking (And leaving our friends thirsty) but it was lovely, but it was by then that the skies had turned dark, and soon after we took shelter as it began...

23 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

You might be right....what I can distinctly remember was a friend of mine wanted to go and see Reverend and the Makers, The Cribs and Modest Mouse on the Other Stage … I went to see Kasabian on the Pyramid at about 7-8pm.

Given that list of bands, the weather would be the least of my concerns. I’d be praying for Armageddon

25 minutes ago, SpencerF said:

Met Office updated yet again, showing probability of precipitation to be even less likely now. What do they know that we don't? HARD stick. 

Pretty sure over Covid/lockdowns etc the reason weather forecasts were so pants was because a lot of data these days is also gathered from aircraft black boxes etc, and all flights were grounded. Might be why some forecasts are more optimistic, they're not just factoring in the models etc but data sourced elsewhere? I got no idea how these things work, admittedly. 

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Pretty sure over Covid/lockdowns etc the reason weather forecasts were so pants was because a lot of data these days is also gathered from aircraft black boxes etc, and all flights were grounded. Might be why some forecasts are more optimistic, they're not just factoring in the models etc but data sourced elsewhere? I got no idea how these things work, admittedly. 

yep, Met Office have access to different models and plenty of data not in the public arena, unlike GFS etc

Just now, jezzer said:

yep, Met Office have access to different models and plenty of data not in the public arena, unlike GFS etc

They also have access to a crystal ball and the latest forecast is actually what they’ve seen in our future

• Like 1

Just now, Quark said:

My live material is even better. Come see me staggering around Williams Green shouting shit puns at strangers.

With you doing that and Gonzo hanging around the long drops harassing Taylor Swift lookalikes, I think we need extra security in place this year.

3 minutes ago, LoraMaze said:

I’ve stopped caring…now just working on manifesting perfect festival weather. 

let’s all wish really hard

I've been in que sera sera whatever will be will be land for about 5 days now. It's quite a nice zen place but it does require more packing!

13 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Thursday afternoon 2007 was when the rain started.  We were sitting near the Brothers Bar, two of us had gone to get a round in, and had some tokens, and ended up walking away with more than we could carry, so we started chatting to people in the vicinity and sharing our good fortune out.  That turned into a couple of hours of yacking (And leaving our friends thirsty) but it was lovely, but it was by then that the skies had turned dark, and soon after we took shelter as it began...

Tokens?

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

With you doing that and Gonzo hanging around the long drops harassing Taylor Swift lookalikes, I think we need extra security in place this year.

Keep an eye out for terrified people running away as a barely coherent zombie shambles after them screaming "COME BACK, I'M FUNNY I TELL YOU!!"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

This is 2007 all over again.

Awww 😀

You should have kept some powder dry, rather than going through the starting gates blustering about carnage, game over and blood baths.

Now it's all gone a bit weak.

A quick reminder of what the U.K. Met Office model midnight run predicts. 
Friday - rain coming in during late afternoon/evening …

D52C289B-7F98-402C-AE7D-EF54EF09683E.thumb.jpeg.d0b3cff3ec2e9232f4901fdb8cd867d4.jpeg

Intensifying somewhat overnight and finally getting out of the way by Saturday lunchtime…

B40D84CD-E8DD-45B8-A670-D3738BC76AF8.thumb.jpeg.a860389af77136b7840ae97a6bd0aaea.jpeg

then by Sunday we’re back to sunshine and showers…

756610A2-B8AB-42E7-BBFA-143C5A6EBD02.thumb.jpeg.4603a670b01ea353d9bd678840e2e693.jpeg

and as ever with showers, we might get a complete maelstrom or we might get nothing at all, just a case of crossing fingers and hoping for the best…

19 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

Just out of curiosity how did the weather go on the last 2 delay festivals

2020 looked perfectly sunny, then forecast changed last minute to on and off showers and lower temps (just like this year).

For most of Southern England Sat and Sun were pretty blustery, cold, and showery, but people living in Pilton reported that it missed the worst and would have been a pretty good weekend. 

2021 was nice bar some major rain on Sunday pm / night. 

But generally both pretty good. 

Edited by Glasto Weatherwatch

Now I’m trying to decide how many warm layers to take. Even bringing beanie and gloves. 

Figure if I pack it all, I won’t need it. 

please send extra good vibes for Saturday weather- it’s my birthday! 

Edited by Bighra
Clarity